#2468 - Wednesday, May 10. 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2468, Wednesday, May 10, 2006

      YM: Do you see a conflict between spiritual practice and psychotherapy? You've written a lot of books that get people asking if you were trained as psychologist.

      CH: My writing sounds that way. But, what I say all comes just from sitting practice. The place where I see a difficulty between these traditions is that we don't want to use psychotherapy to reinforce a false ego structure that spirituality is attempting to dismantle. What's wonderful is that in the U.S. there is so much merging of the traditions. So many are doing psychotherapy that is informed by their own spiritual practice. It's not that they are encouraging people to identify with the false cultural ego or saying, 'Well you need to forget you and all that happened-just live chakras four through seven and let's put one through three out of business. We'll just go up in our heads and 'OM' around in life.' Neither approach is effective. The bridging is in sitting still and watching what arises in the moment-paying attention to all of it-not believing any of it and not taking any of it personally.

      There's one thought nobody is ever going to get past: when will there be no thoughts left, when will I clear my mind? When will we realize that "no thoughts" is not progress? Our practice is acceptance. It's a subtle thing. I include anything as practice that is focused on being present and conscious. In awareness practice-this is heart of what Buddha and every spiritual leader got to and tried to communicate-the little self (who you think you are) is not who you are. You have to recognize and realize who you are in order to bring compassion to the illusion of the separate self/ego you thought you were. It's a case of mistaken identity-no wonder we are struggling!"

      - part of an interview with Cheri Huber, posted to DailyDharma

      We cover our spirit under our body, our light under a bushel; we never allow the spirit to become conscious of itself.

      Bowl of Saki, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      The life one recognizes is only the mortal aspect of life. Very few have ever seen or been conscious of the immortal aspect at all. Once one has realized life, that which one has hitherto called life is found to be only a glimpse or shadow of the real life that is beyond comprehension. To understand it one will have to raise one's light high from under the cover that is hiding it like a bushel. This cover is man's mind and body; it is a cover that keeps the light active on the world of things and beings. 'Do not keep your light under a bushel' means that we are not to keep the consciousness absorbed in the study of the external world, and in its pleasures and enjoyments.

      We cover our spirit under our body. We cover our light under a bushel. We never allow the spirit to become conscious of itself. ... when the soul is illuminated it will desire to find some other soul illuminated in like manner, and will find great joy and bliss in its society. Such a one will surely find others who are on the verge of illumination. Even a drunkard will find others to drink with. And so it is mystically. A very little light can be turned into a flame, and that flame into a very big flame.

      Why is it better to become a mystic than to remain a drunkard? As a matter of fact a drunkard will never be satisfied. The mystic will look for what Omar Khayyam calls wine, the wine of the Christ, after drinking which no one will ever thirst. He will always seek the wine whose intoxication never wears off. It is the only wine: the intoxication of the divine love.

      According to the belief of a Sufi the heart is the shrine of God, and when the doors of the shrine are closed it is just like a light being hidden under a bushel... God is Love. If He is love He does not stay in the heavens. His earthly body is the heart of man.

      -posted to SufiMystic

      Students, sit earnestly in zazen, and you will realize that
      everything born in this world is ultimately empty, including oneself
      and the original face of existence. All things indeed emerge out of
      emptiness. The original formlessness is the "Buddha," and all other
      similar terms -- Buddha-nature, Buddhahood, Buddha-mind, Awakened
      One, Patriarch, God -- are merely different express- ions for the
      same emptiness. Misunderstand this and you will end up in hell.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      One night . . . a pitiful -looking skeleton appeared and said these
      words:

      A melancholy autumn wind
      Blows through the world;
      The pampas grass waves,
      As we drift to the moor,
      Drift to the sea.

      What can be done
      With the mind of a man
      That should be clear
      But though he is dressed up in a monk's robe,
      Just lets life pass him by?

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Toward dawn I dozed off, and in my dream I found myself surrounded by
      a group of skeletons . . . . One skeleton came over to me and said:

      Memories
      Flee and
      Are no more.
      All are empty dreams
      Devoid of meaning.

      Violate the reality of things
      And babble about
      "God" and "the Buddha"
      And you will never find the true Way.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      I liked this skeleton . . . . He saw things clearly, just as they
      are. I lay there with the wind in the pines whispering in my ears and
      the autumn moonlight dancing across my face.

      What is not a dream? Who will not end up as a skeleton? We appear as
      skeletons covered with skin -- male and female -- and lust after each
      other. When the breath expires, though, the skin ruptures, sex
      disappears, and there is no more high or low. Underneath the skin of
      the person we fondle and caress right now is nothing more than a set
      of bare bones. Think about it -- high and low, young and old, male
      and female, all are the same. Awaken to this one great matter and you
      will immediately comprehend the meaning of "unborn and undying."

      If chunks of rock
      Can serve as a memento
      To the dead,
      A better headstone
      Would be a simple tea-mortar.

      Humans are indeed frightful beings.
      A single moon
      Bright and clear
      In an unclouded sky;
      Yet still we stumble
      In the world's darkness.

      Have a good look -- stop the breath, peel off the skin, and everybody
      ends up looking the same. No matter how long you live the result is
      not altered[even for emperors]. Cast off the notion that "I exist."
      Entrust yourself to the wind-blown clouds, and do not wish to live
      for ever. This world
      Is but
      A fleeting dream
      So why by alarmed
      At its evanescence?

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      The vagaries of life,
      Tough painful
      Teach us
      Not to cling
      To this floating world.

      Why do people
      Lavish decorations
      On this set of bones
      Destined to disappear
      Without a trace?

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      No one really knows
      The nature of birth
      Nor the true dwelling place.
      We return to the source
      And turn to dust.

      Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain,
      But at the peak
      We all gaze at the
      Single bright moon.

      If at the end of our journey
      There is no final
      Resting place,
      Then we need not fear
      Losing our Way.

      No beginning,
      No end.
      Our mind
      is born and dies:
      The emptiness of emptiness!

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Rain, hail, snow and ice:
      All are different,
      But when they fall
      They become the same water
      As the valley stream.

      The ways of proclaiming
      The Mind vary,
      But the same heavenly truth
      Can be seen
      In each and every one.

      Cover your path
      With the fallen pine needles
      So no one will be able
      To locate your
      True dwelling place.

      - Ikkyu and Skeletons, as quoted by Bob Nixon, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      Pass beyond form, escape from names!
      Flee titles and names toward meaning!

      - Rumi, translation by William C. Chittick, posted to AlongTheWay

      Right now, and in every now-moment, you are either closing or opening. You are either stressfully waiting for something - more money, security, affection - or you are living from your deep heart, opening as the entire moment, and giving what you most deeply desire to give, without waiting.

      If you are waiting for anything in order to live and love without holding back, then you suffer. Every moment is the most important moment of your life. No future time is better than now to let down your guard and love.

      Everything you do right now ripples outward and affects everyone. Your posture can shine your heart or transmit anxiety. Your breath can radiate love or muddy the room in depression. Your glance can awaken joy. Your words can inspire freedom. Your every act can open hearts and minds.

      Opening from heart to all, you live as a gift to all. In every moment, you are either opening or closing. Right now, you are choosing to open and give fully, or you are waiting. How does your choice feel?

      - David Deida, posted to SufiMystic