#2460 - Monday, May 1, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 7:38 AM
      #2460 - Monday, May 1, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. The best way to contribute to The Nondual Highlights is to study what each editor posts and then to send your material directly to the editor who you think will be best suited to publishing your writing. Be sure to include a cover letter telling something about yourself; material from the cover letter might also be published unless you advise otherwise. The Nondual Highlights is sent to over 2000 email addresses and is uploaded to nonduality.com where it is indexed by search engines. Your contribution will usually appear within two or three weeks of receipt if it is appropriate to publish.

      Jenny Munday contributes to this issue. In the next issue of the Highlights we'll feature the second half of her article.

      Jenny writes..

      In my work (as a Transpersonal Psychotherapist - 30 years)
      I continue to see that we can read, talk about, and pursue
      that abstract continuum of Bliss,  Nirvana, etc an entire
      lifetime but if we don't do the self-analytical work -
      finding out WHERE we got those beliefs -  WHO gave them
      to us, and IF  they are really doing for us what we want
      them to -  we won't change.

      Most of the messages say:  "Know thyself"  or "Seek the
      truth and the truth will make you free".

      I have a hard time cracking the shell of the ego (or
      conditioned belief system of new clients).  It takes months
      to make them ACCEPT  that their thoughts are not even their
      own.  For that fact will start whittling down the big E-G-O
      or Personality.

      Anyway,  I am attaching the "fact sheet"  which I have given
      to them after they have had 24 or 36 sessions  (when they
      seem to be able to handle it).  And from then on,  I keep
      taking them back to the "facts" of  how they got to be
      who they think they are !!!  and  this allows them to
      continue to say/or say NO  to continuing change/improvement
      in their life space.

      Jenny
      http://centerforawareness.org

      THE CONDITIONING PROCESS AND IT'S CONCLUSION -- Part One

      by Jenny Munday

      At a certain (pre-destined) point in Life, each of us arrive at the space where we question "what
      is IT all about" -- meaning Life, of course. Meaning "my" life in particular. Previous to this
      point, we have just gone on thinking our programmed thoughts and arriving at our programmed
      conclusions. But now tragedy intervenes - a loved one dies - a spouse of many years decides to end
      the relationship - a child is taken away - or even more often - Life sours. We just can't stand it
      any more. None of the toys (wealth - acquisitions - relationships - escape mechanisms (i.e. street
      or prescribed drugs, alcohol, etc) work anymore.

      We go to the therapist or the priest or the friend/relative, the medical doctor, and pour out our
      heart. We discover that: the friend hasn't time to listen - the relative says "Well, I told you
      so.....you never did listen...." - the priest says: " Follow the dictates of THE CHURCH and all
      will be well"; and the psychiatrist says: "Take one three times daily as needed (tranquillizers,
      anti-depressants, ritilan and you will be fine".

      Does any of this advice from any one or multiple sources solve our problem? The wife/husband still
      leaves. The child still is missing. The job is still gone or so dreadfully stressful that we can't
      handle it any more.

      Life has done it's thing. We don't know how to deal with it because we were CONDITIONED to believe
      that WE - ( my "I" ) was the actualizer of all that came to pass. That my "I" COULD control: the
      future ! - other people and their lives ! - any outcome of any situation (if only "I" paid close
      attention and exerted the force of My Will upon the situation.

      That situation has not seemed to occur. In fact - the reverse has seemed to occur. It would appear
      now (usually in middle age but increasingly in younger and younger groups) that instead of my "I"
      controlling the script - that the Script is controlling my I. My "I" now has to become "i" -
      increasingly smaller and lesser effective - or not effective at all. Things are happening all over
      the place that big I did not program. How is that ?

      Is this good news or bad news ? To the Personality it is BAD NEWS. Mainly because it suggests that
      the Person-ality must now let go of that particular belief which says: "I" AM THE DOER". Thus the
      personality must now realize it's limitations. It must realize that all those endless thoughts were
      only "the mind stream - or the collective tape recorder". It must accept that all those endless
      emotions (i.e. anger, fear, resentment, isolation, and even occasional joy, happiness) were also
      ONLY passing states and only seemingly cause and affect under the control of the personality - or
      lower mind.

      So what affect has all that previous "stuff" ( belief systems, ideas, identifications, behaviors,)
      which was imposed on us by society ? For starters, we were CONDITIONED by our parents to believe
      that we actually were who they thought we were - the identification they laid on us at birth --
      such as the "NOT FAVORITE".

      WOW ! how that hit home . Discovering you are the NOT favorite and having to learn how to play out
      that role means (basically) that you will spend the rest of your incarnation attempting to PROVE
      that you are "alright !" - not damaged - not insufficient - not inadequate, etc.

      So life becomes a journey to disprove the thoughts of another who has programmed you -- that is ---
      someone who has told or convinced you of their view of your identity and future. Since they did
      this when we were not capable of competing with their "developed intellect" we "accepted" their
      conditioning and their assigning of our role in life.

      Shortly after this "education and schools " took over. By that time we already pretty well had a
      picture of WHO we were. We WERE ....that "special wonderful princess" or that "NON-FAVORITE" - or
      that "UNWANTED PREGNANCY" - or whatever it was that we has been a symbol of to the parent couple
      that brought our physical bodies into existence.

      We were the physical expression of the emotional/psychological mindset of the individuals who mated
      together and birthed us. OR so it would seem to be. We lived that existence and accepted that role
      and even played out that role. But eventually, the role would end and we would come into misery and
      desolation (with or without drugs) and ask: "Is there anything more than this ? Is THIS all that is
      ? Our role as programmed had not played out as it was supposed to. We had done all the "things we
      were supposed to do" and we were unfulfilled in the extreme - to put it mildly. We were suicidal
      and depressed beyond imagination.

      This is the moment of something known in the non-material spectrum as Grace. It means: " Turn at
      the next light and go straight ahead until you see a sign that says: " Here" There is always a sign
      - you will never miss it - but you have to SLOW DOWN to see it.

      Slowing down equals getting away from the conditioning from all sources. For example:

      Parental: "THIS is WHO you are....."

      Educational: "YOU are in control...what you DO is WHO you are !"

      Theological: "You were born in SIN and GUILT but if you will follow OUR traditions and doctrines WE
      will save you". (Please remember to support THE CHURCH i.e. 10% of income ! for the best salvation
      possible.

      Commercial: "If you buy OUR product - you will be happy (!) because all your neighbors and friends
      will understand that you now own a (fill in the blanks) and therefore you have arrived. You are a
      success.

      Political: If YOU vote for US (which-ever political party) we will guarantee you that justice WILL
      be done and the economy will rise and wars will cease. (!) (But as an aside-- you do know - don't
      you - that the economy is really best when there's war ).

      So each of these institutions tell us their lies and eventually we come to realize that we have
      been "programmed" from birth. Then intense anger arises (but we have been taught that "anger" is
      bad ! Or intense aloneness/ isolation will arise; but we have been told that we SHOULD not feel
      lonely or isolated - so we are caught again. There's no way out it seems.

      ~ ~ ~

      Part Two of Jenny's article appears in the next issue of The Nondual Highlights