HighlightsThurs3Feb

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2000
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      xan:

      The Highest Teaching

      ~ Highest, schmighest.
      What does that have to do
      this silent joy creeping
      through my everywhere.

      ***Christiana reports:

      Hello friends..

      I would like to attempt some reportage of this sharing which just took
      place here in California. The challenge for me lies in that.. so much of
      what took place, did so on nonverbal levels. I could say.. we had a lot
      of fun and simply walked in Love for several days, and that would indeed
      suffice. But as some of you may wonder what my experience was like, let
      me dip a bit deeper.

      I picked Gene up from the airport. I had no idea what he might look
      like. He had suggested I look for the 'purple aura' <smile>. When off
      strode a man, with gait like a magus, I knew it was Gene Poole. He
      proceeded for several days to inform, challenge, astonish, amuse, create
      with and love us. His range is boundless, his Heart huge.

      We next met Jerry. Jerry has ancient, intelligent eyes which simply hold
      space. Beyond what Petros termed 'self effacing' is deep abiding.
      Jerry's temperament is similar to my own and I knew a joyful ease of
      being with him. He is fun, gentle and wise. But y'all already know
      that!
      The energy fields these two men seem to resonate within, as they appear
      to me.. with the caveat that each is other.. only Self:
      Gene Poole .... powerful space, directed momentum.
      Jerry Katz .... powerful space, undirected suchness

      During our time, we ate great food, walked on stunning beaches, shared
      deeply, visited a friend of Gene's, had a great evening with Judi and
      simply and profoundly entered the aliveness of being present in Love.

      Throughout the visit, this Salon was ever-present. When the four of us
      assembled for dinner, I was struck by the diversity of our natures each
      aligned within this centrality of Heart. Gene and Judi are hearty people
      who love and laugh with robust freedom. Jerry is insightful and his
      humor is subtle. He carries the robustness of his freedom as quiet
      presence. We were a representation of this community and the Power was
      stunningly joyful.

      That I could don the hat of hostess was grace for me. I offer deep bows
      to Bruce for his delightful insight into 'God' showing up as the 'divine
      double date by the sea'. Indeed, I am deeply moved.

      Christiana
      ~~~~~~~~~~

      ***Judi admits:

      Yes, thank you Christiana for arranging the surprise of Gene's coming,
      that Jerry spilled the beans about! :-) But, it was no less wonderful being with
      you all I assure you. I had such the time as you know, so very happy and so
      much in love! Gene and I got a 'teensie' carried away at dinner, I do admit
      to that, but that's all I'm gonna admit to! :-)

      --
      Happy Days,
      Judi

      ***C:

      +++ You two were hysterical .. no bull! ;-)

      Thank you again for the gift of your hand.. the grace of your eyes and
      your gentle whisper that 'it's all ok'.

      Today many posts have been about release.. nonattachment. I am the
      emergent freedom of being, ever less encumbered. Thank you for voicing
      the heart note that 'it is all ok'.

      Love,
      Christiana

      ***Kristi and Petros on telling personal stories:

      ***K:
      ...We have, at different times, offered little pieces of "reality"
      through our experiences of trauma, or suffering, and had them pretty routinely
      rebuffed...

      ***P:
      Maybe it all depends on context and intent. It is too easy to become
      identified with "telling stories" or "personal experiences," which after all
      are endless. If a story opens the door to understanding, then it is valuable
      to tell, as yours often are.

      ***K:
      I would hope that a list such as this would welcome tales of personal
      experience that invite us, or demand of us, that we become aware,
      of how we react to suffering...or the appearance of unloveableness....or the
      appearance of foolishness...of instability....instead we sweep it under the
      rug.....I think, because it makes us uncomfortable, suggesting to me, that
      "enlightenment" as it is characterized here, frequently has not occasioned
      much change, from the regular, ordinary world, in how we relate to others.

      ***P:
      An excellent point. It is these tales, the ones that challenge others to
      increase their awareness of the world around them, that are very important
      here.

      ***K:
      I don't have any answers here.....actually, I do think I have some unique
      insights here because I have had some extraordinary life experiences,
      especially with the "unloveable", the "wounded," and those who
      threaten the survival of others.....but have become very tentative about
      sharing those on the list...

      ***P:
      I wish more people would share their stories, as long as those stories point
      beyond themselves to greater insights, that can really benefit everyone.
      Sometimes it's easy to fall prey to the demon of self-pity (as I have),
      forgetting that there are stories a thousand times more "extraordinary" and
      painful than those we've personally experienced.

      ***Dan responds:

      *The Ocean of Stories*

      I am the ocean of stories,
      yet I myself have no story.

      In me and by me, are all tales told
      that are told.
      Yet nothing is said by me of myself.

      All the stories arise from me and return to me.
      All are equally me and not me.
      No story is prized above another.
      No story is rejected.

      I am the story of all stories.
      Yet my tale will never be told.

      Listen for me in silence.
      Look for me when it's dark.
      Feel me when all nerves are still.
      Know me as the one with no story,
      no name, no purpose, no meaning.

      My currents intermingle all the stories
      that are you,
      Weave them to and fro,
      yet keep each distinct and clear.

      Like a fish, you swim through me,
      never knowing I am there,
      telling the story that is you.

      Love,
      Dan

      ***KKT teaches about fullness of Self and Emptiness:

      Whether ultimate reality is fullness
      of the Self or Emptiness has always been
      a fascinating problem. It had been for long
      debating between Buddhists and Advaitins,
      and among Buddhists themselves
      (Yogacara with the Mind-Only theory
      and Madhyamika with the Shunyata
      or Emptiness theory)

      Hui-neng, the Sixth Patriarch of Ch'an
      (Chinese Zen) but sometimes is regarded
      as the real father of this tradition, in his
      famous Platform Sutra said that "seeing
      one's own original nature is enlightenment."
      His view was condemned by other Buddhists
      as heretic because orthodox Buddhism
      believed in (absolute) No-Self. His Platform
      Sutra was burned after his death :-)

      In this post I like to present another
      interesting view of Dzogchen which
      arrives to conciliate the two apparently
      opposite conceptions: Self and Emptiness
      as Harsha-ji states:

      << Harsha:
      My experience is that the Self as Sat-Chit-Ananda is Both the Fullness of
      Consciousness and the Total Emptiness from which all things originate. The
      two notions appear different only from the perspective of the mind which by
      nature is caught up in diversity. In the Knowledge of the Self, You are the
      Self. You are the Perceiver and the Perception and yet there is Absolutely
      Nothing to Perceive. You are the Emptiness from which you are born. If we go
      behind the feeling/awareness of the I AM, we can intuitively sense this.
      Holding on to this intuitive sense of Emptiness which can be seen/felt in
      the Present Beingness/Nowness and merging with it is a natural path for
      some.

      KKT: In the following explanation, I
      use many information from the book
      "The Crystal and the Way of Light:
      Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen" by
      Namkhai Norbu.

      The main objective of Dzogchen
      (The Great Perfection) is to point out
      for us to recognize our PRIMORDIAL
      STATE or NATURAL STATE. This
      Primordial State is complete and
      perfected by itself from the very beginning.
      Therefore, there is nothing to achieve,
      to arrive, to become, to "do" or even
      to transform (as in the Tantric Path)
      or to renounce (as in the Sutric Path,
      i.e. Hinayana and Mahayana)

      This Primordial State has 3 aspects:

      (1) Essence
      (2) Nature
      (3) Energy

      For a better understanding of those
      3 aspects, Dzogchen uses the example
      of a mirror as a comparison to this
      Primordial State.

      The mirror is always pure, clear, limpid.
      This voidness or emptiness of the mirror
      is also the voidness or emptiness of the
      mind. One could recognize this voidness
      easily, for example, if one looks into
      one's own mind, any thought that arises
      can be seen to be void in the three times,
      past, present, and future. That is to say,
      if one looks for a place from which the
      thought came, one finds nothing; if one
      looks for a place where the thought stays,
      one find nothing; and if one looks for a
      place where the thought goes, one finds
      nothing: voidness. This voidness or
      emptiness is the ESSENCE of the
      Primordial State. This voidness is not
      some sort of 'thing', or 'place', but rather
      that all phenomena, whether mental
      events, or apparently 'external' actual
      objects, no matter how solid they may
      seem, are in fact essentially void,
      impermanent, only temporarily existing,
      and all 'things' can be seen to be made up
      of other things, in turn made up of other
      things, and so on.

      Yet, even the mirror is void, reflections
      continue to arise in it, just as all phenomena
      - whether as mental events or as actual
      experienced objects - continue to manifest
      in the mind. Things continue to exist,
      thoughts continue to arise, just as reflections
      continue to arise in a mirror, even though
      they are void. This capacity to reflect is
      the NATURE of the Primordial State. And
      the mind does not enter into judgment, it
      simply reflects in the same way the mirror
      does.

      How phenomena manifest is as ENERGY.
      This Energy is compared to the reflections
      that arise in a mirror.

      So we have the 3 aspects: Emptiness
      (ESSENCE), Awareness (NATURE),
      and Fullness (ENERGY) all together.

      Don't forget that Dzogchen which exists
      only in the Bon tradition (ancient Tibetan
      religion prior to the introduction of Buddhism
      in Tibet) and in the "old" Nyingma school,
      was often comdemned by the 3 "new"
      schools as heretic :-)

      Note: Tibetan Buddhism has 4 main
      schools: Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya and
      Gelugpa (HH Dalai Lama belongs to
      the Gelugpa). In the Nyingma tradition,
      Dzogchen is considered as the highest
      teaching of Tibetan Buddhism (and of
      all other religious traditions because
      Dzogchen as a universal truth is not
      confined only to Buddhism). Please
      don't feel offence, just an opinion :-)

      Following is a very beautiful song:

      THE SONG OF THE VAJRA

      Unborn,
      yet continuing without interruption,
      neither coming nor going,
      omnipresent,

      Supreme Dharma,
      unchangeable space, without definition,
      spontaneously self-liberating

      - perfectly unobstructed state -
      existing from the very beginning,
      self-created, without location,
      with nothing negative to reject,
      and nothing positive to accept,
      infinite expansion, penetrating everywhere,
      immense, and without limits, without ties,
      with nothing even to dissolve,
      or to be liberated from

      present beyond space and time,
      existing from the beginning,
      immense 'yin' (*), inner space,
      radiant through clarity like the sun and the moon,
      self-perfected,

      indestructible like a Vajra,
      stable as a mountain,
      pure as a lotus,
      strong as a lion,
      incomparable pleasure
      beyond all limits,
      illumination,
      equanimity,
      peak of the Dharma,
      light of the universe,
      perfect from the beginning.

      (*) Tibetan Yin, Sanskrit Dhatu dimension.

      May all sentient beings recognize their Primordial State :-)

      Namaste,

      KKT

      ***Dan:
      Larry, what happened to the experience of "simply
      being here" of which you wrote? Experientially, how do
      you regard emptiness, an I-sense, relinquishment, or ultimacy (if you
      do)?
      <snip>
      -- Love -- Dan

      ***Larry:
      "Simply being here" became a problem, unexpectedly. I was
      withdrawing from the world because I was throwing too much energy into
      "being". I basically decided I didn't want to withdraw. So I dropped it.
      What remains is a distinct but not particularly "significant" detachment
      from attachment. There is a difference that I don't have to do anything
      about. So, it's on-going, day to day, new stuff all the time. Not a
      struggle or a panic like it was before but not really wasting time
      either in spit of indulging in old vasanas, "tendencies". I like xan's
      advice to Carol concerning empathic reactivity. She basically said don't
      change your ways, just add awareness. Works for me :-)

      Larry

      ***xan:
      ~ Dear Larry, I amend my statement:
      Be awareness, deepen in awareness, expand as awareness.
      Otherwise there may be a tendency to compromise our awakening.

      with love
      xan

      ***xan on transformation:

      Awakening to the truth of yourself will transform you. It will change your
      body and mind in ways you cannot control or predict. Any fantasies you have
      about living your life according to a fairy tale of enlightenment will be
      smashed. Your capacity to enjoy will increase beyond your wildest dreams and
      your worst fears will show up in front of your face. Long-term health
      problems may spontaneously heal, or you may get sicker than you've ever been.
      You may have headaches like you've never felt before and you may have a
      sense of well-being you never imagined possible. Your closest relationships
      may become harmonious or hellish or disappear altogether. You may withdraw
      from the world for a time or be drawn into interactions with a wider range of
      people. Your treasured ways of thinking and feeling will change and your
      sense of control will be stretched, dissolved or shattered. If you run from
      the discomfort of these shifts you only postpone the exquisite intimacy of
      your transformation. If you continue to see and let go of surfacing
      fragments of conditioned mind identity, the mutation will continue and become
      more subtle.

      Eventually you get used to it and don't resist any more, or even welcome the
      rough spots for the deepening breakthroughs they herald. There may be
      sticking points for anyone in a human body
      at any level that, with surrender, reveal themselves to be gateways deeper
      into the indescribable.

      As creatures of comfort we may find we would rather keep the old familiar
      ways than abandon ourselves to the unknown of Absolute Love, as well as to
      the unknowable direction of our so-called lives. Once there is discovery of
      silent boundless consciousness there remains the tendency to try to maintain
      control and the familiar life.

      If you long for the perfection only reached through surrender, control must
      be let go moment to moment. If you are satisfied where you are, there is no
      problem with it. Complete and total reabsorption is an inevitable
      eventuality, and Grace will pursue you in its own time to the end of the
      world as you know it.

      blessings
      xan