#2435 - Saturday, April 1, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2435, Saturday, April 1, 2006

      The only factor that can give refuge or protection from the
      destructive effects of anger and hatred is the practice of tolerance
      and patience.

      - His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective,, published by Snow Lion, posted to DailyDharma

      How Do I Look at Anger?

      Obviously, I look at it as an observer being angry. I say, "I am angry." At the moment of anger there is no "I"; the "I" comes in immediately afterwards - which means time. Can I look at the fact without the factor of time, which is the thought, which is the word? This happens when there is the looking without the observer. See where it has led me. I now begin to perceive a way of looking - perceiving without the opinion, the conclusion, without condemning, judging. Therefore, I perceive that there can be "seeing" without thought, which is the word. So the mind is beyond the clutches of ideas, of the conflict of duality and all the rest of it. So, can I look at fear not as an isolated fact?

      If you isolate a fact that has not opened the door to the whole universe of the mind, then let us go back to the fact and begin again by taking another fact so that you yourself will begin to see the extraordinary thing of the mind, so that you have the key, you can open the door, you can burst into that....

      ...By considering one fear - the fear of death, the fear of the neighbor, the fear of your spouse dominating over you, you know the whole business of domination - will that open the door? That is all that matters - not how to be free of it - because the moment you open the door, fear is completely wiped away. The mind is the result of time, and time is the word - how extraordinary to think of it! Time is thought; it is thought that breeds fear, it is thought that breeds the fear of death; and it is time which is thought, that has in its hand the whole intricacies and the subtleties of fear.

      - J. Krishnamurti, from The Book of Life, posted to MillionPaths

      The power of a Jnani's Self Realization is more powerful than all occult powers. To the Jnani there are no others. But what is the highest benefit that can be conferred on 'others' as we call them? It is happiness. Happiness is born of peace. Peace can reign only when there is no disturbance of thought. When the mind has been annihilated, there will be perfect peace. As there is no mind, the Jnani cannot be aware of others. But the mere fact of His Self-Realization is itself enough to make all others peaceful and happy.

      - Ramana Maharshi, from Gems from Bhagavan, selected by A. Devaraja Mudaliar, posted to RamanaMaharshi

      If you've melted your desires
      in the river of time, choose
      to be a recluse, or choose
      a family, the village job.

      If you know the pure Lord within you,
      you'll be That, wherever.

      - Lalla, from Naked Song, version by Coleman Barks, posted to AlongTheWay

      Even if the whole world were gripped by sadness
      He would not be sad who holds love firm in hand.
      And if love makes him dance, even a little,
      There are worlds and worlds within that little land.

      - #374: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi, posted to Poetic_Mysticism

      And of course, to celebrate April Fool's Day:

      A man was passing a mental hospital, and called out
      to one of the patients peering through the bars: "Ho!
      How many madmen are in that hospital?" The inmate
      paused, staring for a while at the questioner, then
      bellowed back: "Leave us be! And tell me, how many
      sane people are out there?

      - sufi story, posted to Nasrudin