#2431 - Monday, March 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2006
      #2431 - Monday, March 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      And the day came
      when the risk
      it took to remain
      tight inside the bud
      was more painful
      than the risk
      it took to
      blossom.

      -Anais Nin

      Don't Vacillate.

      Your mind will vacillate. Mind is vacillation, mind is either/or, mind is always in that space of "to be or not to be." If you really want to grow, mature, if you really want to know what this life is all about, don't vacillate. Commit, involve! Involve yourself with life, get committed to life, don't remain a spectator. Don't go on thinking whether to do or not - "Should I do this or that?" You can go on vacillating your whole life, and the more you vacillate, the more trained you become in vacillation.

      Life is for those who know how to commit - how to say yes to something, how to say no to something decisively, categorically. Once you have categorically said yes or no to something, then you can take a jump, then you can dive deep into the ocean.

      People are just sitting on the fence. Millions of people are fence-sitters - this way or that, just waiting for the opportunity to come. And the opportunity will never come, because it has already come, it is there!

      My own suggestion is that even if sometimes it happens that you commit to the wrong thing, even then it is good to commit, because the day you will know it is wrong you can get out of it. At least you would have learned one thing: that it is wrong, and never to get into anything like that again. It is a great experience; it brings you closer to truth.

      Why do people vacillate so much? - because from the very childhood you have been told not to commit any mistakes. That is one of the greatest teachings of all the societies all over the world - and very dangerous, very harmful. Teach children to commit as many mistakes as possible, with only one condition: don't commit the same mistake again, that's all. And they will grow, and they will experience more and more, and they will not vacillate. Otherwise a trembling... and time is passing by, out of your hands, and you are vacillating.

      I see many people standing on the shore vacillating, whether to take the jump or not. Here it happens every day.

      Just a few days ago, one young man came to me. For three years he has been vacillating whether to take sannyas or not. I said, "Decide either yes or no, and be finished with it! And I am not saying decide yes, I am only saying decide. No is as good as yes. But wasting three years? If you had taken sannyas three years ago," I told him, "by this time you would have known whether it is worth it or not; at least one thing would have been decided. Vacillating three years, nothing has been decided. You are in the same space, and three years have gone by."

      From The Book of Wisdom : Discourses on Atisha`s Seven Points of Mind Training, by Osho

      Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. That is not just a dream, but a necessity. We are dependent on each other in so many ways that we can no longer live in isolated communities and ignore what is happening outside those communities.

      -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

      From "The Pocket Dalai Lama," edited by Mary Craig, 2002.

      from Beliefnet

      "If the generally accepted concept was to obtain what we really need
      and then be content, society would be completely different."

                    ~ His Holiness the Dalai Lama

      From the book, "Imagine All the People: A conversation with the Dalai
      Lama on Money, Politics, and Life As It Could Be," published by Wisdom.

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0861711505/angelinc
      posted to Daily Dharma

      ”The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery,
      a metaphor for a proof,
      a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths,
      and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.”

      Paul Valery. 1895

      posted to Alpha World

      Siesta

           While the fish of fire traces its curve,
      near the cypress beneath the supreme blue,
      and the blind child flies in the white stone,
      and in the elm the ivory couplet
      of the green cicada beats and returns,
      let's honor the Lord
      -- the black stamp of his good hand --
      who has dictated the silence in the clamor.

           To the god of the distance and the absence,
      of the anchor in the sea, the open sea...
      He frees us from the world -- omnipresence --
      opening for us a path to walk on.

           With the hidden cup well-filled,
      with this ever-filling heart,
      let's honor the Lord who has made the Void
      and has sculpted in faith our reason.

      - Antonio Machado (1875 - 1939)
      Translated by Ivan M. Granger

      god loves in simple words

      god loves in simple words
      simple and small
      i am and you are that and it is the all

      god words reach for silence
      where words are the same
      the silence in each word is god's true name

      god says god
      has a lower case g
      says nothing is finished, so how could god be

      god is the space
      at the heart of god's name

      and two other letters
      each moving outward
      near mirror alternate
      not quite the same

      --hannah

      (a reader's contribution, thank you!)

      Terra Incognita
      D.H. Lawrence

      There are vast realms of consciousness still undreamed of
      vast ranges of experience, like the humming of unseen harps,
      we know nothing of, within us.
      Oh when man has escaped from the barbed-wire entanglement
      of his own ideas and his own mechanical devices
      there is a marvellous rich world of contact and sheer fluid beauty
      and fearless face-to-face awareness of now-naked life
      and me, and you, and other men and women
      and grapes, and ghouls, and ghosts and green moonlight
      and ruddy-orange limbs stirring the limbo
      of the unknown air, and eyes so soft
      softer than the space between the stars,
      and all things, and nothing, and being and not-being
      alternately palpitant,
      when at last we escape the barbed-wire enclosure
      of Know Thyself, knowing we can never know,
      we can but touch, and wonder, and ponder, and make our effort
      and dangle in a last fastidious fine delight
      as the fuchsia does, dangling her reckless drop
      of purple after so much putting forth
      and slow mounting marvel of a little tree.
      .
      Gill Eardley posted to Allspirit

      Beneath the mountain
      Magpie flying by,
      Ever changing sky

      Beneath the mountain
      If again I do,
      Question where are you

      Beneath the mountain
      Now who is moving this,
      Avalanche of bliss

      Homage to you whose face is like
      The gathering of a hundred full moons in autumn,
      Shining resplendent light
      In the perfect, spacious constellation of a thousand stars.

      poem and photos by Alan Larus

      http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/if_again.htm