#2424 - Monday, March 20, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2006
      #2424 - Monday, March 20, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      "Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle!"

      Alice, in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
      posted to Power of Silence

      One can know one's Self only with one's own eye of knowledge, and not with somebody else's.
      - Ramana Maharshi -

      In oneself lies the whole world, and if you know how to look and learn, then the door is there and the key is in your hand. Nobody on earth can give you either that key or the door to open, except yourself.
      - J. Krishnamurti, You Are The World -

       ..there is nothing whatever mysterious about this matter...the apparent difficulty is due to our conditioning...an inability to perceive the obvious owing to a conditioned reflex which causes us persistently to look in the wrong direction!
      - Wei Wu Wei -

       There is no enlightenment outside of daily life. - Thich Nhat Hanh
      The most important point is to accept yourself and stand on your two feet. - Shunryu Suzuki

      Be In Your Body

      Most of the time we go through the day, through our activities, our work, our relationships, our conversations, and very rarely do we ground ourselves in an awareness of our bodies. We are lost in our thoughts, our feelings, our emotions, our stories, our plans. A very simple guide or check on this state of being lost is to pay attention to those times when you feel like you are rushing. Rushing does not have to do with speed. You can rush moving slowly, and you can rush moving quickly. We are rushing when we feel as if we are toppling forward. Our minds run ahead of ourselves; they are out there where we want to get to, instead of being settled back in our bodies. The feeling of rushing is good feedback. Whenever we are not present, right then, in that situation, we should stop and take a few deep breaths. Settle into the body again. Feel yourself sitting. Feel the step of the walk. Be in your body. The Buddha made a very powerful statement about this: "Mindfulness of the body leads to nirvana." Such awareness is not a superficial practice. Mindfulness of the body keeps us present.
      - Joseph Goldstein, Transforming the Mind, Healing the World

      From: 'When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times'
      by Pema Chodron

      "The way to dissolve our resistance to life is to meet it face to
      face. When we feel resentment because the room is too hot, we
      could meet the heat and feel its fieriness and its heaviness.
      When we feel resentment because the room is too cold, we could
      meet the cold and feel its iciness and its bite. When we want to
      complain about the rain, we could feel its wetness instead. When
      we worry because the wind is shaking our windows, we could meet
      the wind and hear its sound. Cutting our expectations for a cure is
      a gift we can give ourselves. There is no cure for hot and cold. They
      will go on forever. After we have died, the ebb and flow will still
      continue. Like the tides of the sea, like day and night - this is the
      nature of things.

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      From: 'After the Ecstasy, the Laundry'
      Jack Kornfield

      Feelings and Temperament

      "Awakening to the emotions means to feel them -
      nothing less, nothing more. It does not require
      changing our feelings -feelings change all the
      time on their own. Nor does it  mean changing
      our temperament. If we are an introvert or an
      extrovert, a joyful person or a melancholic one,
      that will likely remain the same. One Buddhist
      teacher said that he had expected awakening to
      bring a "personal transformation,"  only to be
      surprised that it was actually an "impersonal
      transformation." The transformation is the
      opening of the heart, not a personality change.

      We fear our emotions when we haven't seen them
      for what they really are. We confuse allowing
      ourselves to be aware of them with the necessity
      to act them out. But to include our full selves in our
      journey, we need to understand how we have been
      entangled by and identified with our emotions. We
      need to see how the hurt and frustration of childhood,
      the forces of anger, greed, pride, sexual longing and
      need have been conditioned in us. Experiencing the full
      range of our feelings as they come and go in our
      consciousness, we can begin to ask of each the question,
      "Is this who I am?" If we can hold our feelings in a
      spacious and fearless heart, the lonely, broken, spiteful,
      confused feelings arise in a new way, transformed by our

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Visual Dharma

      Tricycle is keeping up with new technology! In addition to our popular online Audio Teachings, we are pleased to announce Visual Dharma, our new dharma video collection online. Visit us each week for new content.

      Dancing in Space, free of all conceptual bindings,
      The sooner one relies on nothing,
      Everything will rely on you,
      If not you, then whom?
      Offering Light Freely,