#2418 - Sunday, March 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      Because we spill not only milk -- Nancy Shaffer

      #2418 - Sunday, March 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      Because we spill not only milk
      Knocking it over with an elbow
      When we reach to wipe a small face
      But also spill seed on soil we thought was fertile but isn't,
      And also spill whole lives, and only later see in fading light
      How much is gone and we hadn't intended it
      Because we tear not only cloth
      Thinking to find a true edge and instead making only a hole
      But also tear friendships when we grow
      And whole mountainsides because we are so many
      And we want to live right where black oaks lived,
      Once very quietly and still
      Because we forget not only what we are doing in the kitchen
      And have to go back to the room we were in before,
      Remember why it was we left
      But also forget entire lexicons of joy
      And how we lost ourselves for hours
      Yet all that time were clearly found and held
      And also forget the hungry not at our table
      Because we weep not only at jade plants caught in freeze
      And precious papers left in rain
      But also at legs that no longer walk
      Or never did, although from the outside they look like most others
      And also weep at words said once as though
      They might be rearranged but which
      Once loose, refuse to return and we are helpless
      Because we are imperfect and love so
      Deeply we will never have enough days,
      We need the gift of starting over, beginning
      Again: just this constant good, this
      Saving hope.

      ~ Nancy Shaffer ~

      (Instructions in Joy)

      "Spiritual people often want unconditional support and
      understanding from their friends, family, and mates,
      but all too often seem blind to their own short comings
      when it comes to the amount of unconditional support and
      understanding that they give to others. I have seen many
      spiritual people become obsessed with how unspiritual
      others are and assume an arrogant and superior attitude
      while completely missing the fact that they themselves
      are not nearly as spiritually enlightened as they would
      like to think that they are.

      Enlightenment can be measured by how compassionately
      and wisely you interact with others; with all others,
      not just those who support you in the way that you want.
      How you interact with those who do not support you shows
      how enlightened you really are. As long as you perceive
      that anyone is holding you back you have not taken full
      responsibility for your own liberation. Liberation means
      that you stand free of making demands on others and life
      to make you happy. When you discover yourself to be
      nothing but Freedom, you stop setting up conditions and
      requirements that need to be satisfied in order for you to
      be happy. It is in the absolute surrender of all conditions
      and requirements that Liberation is discovered to be who
      and what you Are. Then the love and wisdom that flows
      out of you has a liberating effect on others.

      The biggest challenge for most spiritual seekers is to
      surrender their self importance, and see the emptiness
      of their own personal story. It is your personal story
      that you need to awaken from in order to be free. To
      give up being either ignorant or enlightened is the mark
      of liberation and allows you to treat others as your Self."

      ~ Adyashanti

      posted by ts to Allspirit

      To make sure that another person loves you unconditionally, you must not place conditions upon them.

      The Way of the Wizard

      I read a lot about emptiness, awareness, the original mind, buddha mind, rigpa, Self, the witness.
      I don’t think meditation is about searching for a way out into emptiness as if it where hidden behind the screen of thought, behind my conditioning, my habitual unaware patterns of thought and behaviour. Meditation is not about finding a clever way out, like in a puzzle or in a videogame. As such there is no method that will bring me there. Meditation is not at all a method to be learned, applied and repeated until I reach the desired state I have already projected in detail somewhere in the future, unto that blessed day when all my troubles will be gone. That state I imagine to be tranquil, holy, secure, blissful. I secretly want to posses that state, I want to control it.
      This, as I see it, is all just a mind game. There is a difference between freedom and/or truth and security. There is a vast difference between a pleasurable experience of security and the great insecurity of the unknown, of truth.
      As I see it, emptiness is not something that can be experienced when I am somehow clever enough to go beyond myself, or make myself disappear like in a magical trick.
      Emptiness is not hidden. On the contrary it is right here in my ordinary experiences. It is not beyond ordinary experience. It is IN my ordinary experience. From there, when I face that, what happens?
      Usually I run away from my experiences because they are boring, frightening, repetitive, nagging. I want what is beyond, what is transcendental, what will liberate me from boredom and fear and will bring heaven on earth, will give me power, the end of doubt, health, good fortune and enormous security.
      Right in that image, if I would investigate it, I can find the root of my unrest. Not only to be aware of the image but also to be aware of fear or boredom as it manifests in body and mind. And then to be aware of the expectation that is involved in that: ‘I’ll watch because that will end it, I’ll watch it to be enlightened after that.’ I expect a reward of some kind.
      What is causing this unrest? What am I looking for? Why do I want to change? Can I stop and see what is going on?
      Only then, when I start in all honesty from where I am, something extraordinary will dawn. A rest will be upon the heart and maybe there will be certain sharpness, a certain kind of inspiration, a light in which I see myself in a complete new way. I can see the ‘self,’ but not as ‘me,’ I can see it for what it is.
      The patience and courage needed for that come from—or are—love, compassion, intelligence. Compassion or love are not rewards at the end of a path to security. Compassion is there right from the beginning when I am eager to learn and investigate. This is different from chasing after experiences and states. I have to take my responsibility, mature, sober up in the midst of all the tumult. I have to rise up to aloofness from where I am, from watching, from working.
      The certainty that comes from genuine self-knowledge is sacred and is always new, unknowable. There is no way of possessing it, of saying: ‘I know it, I have it.’

      posted by Ben Hassine to Awakened Awareness

        All states that can be returned to external causes are obviously not you, but that which cannot be returned to anywhere, if it is not you, what is it? Therefore, you should know that your mind is fundamentally wonderful, bright, and pure and that because of your involvement with the things of the world you have covered it up and lost it. In this way you are caught on the endless wheel of becoming this or that, sinking and floating in that sea of endless becoming. Awaken yourself now to your own bright mind.

      -Surangama Sutra

      From "The Pocket Buddha Reader," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000.

      a flower called ’snow bell’ breaking through the snow