#2415 - Thursday, March 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2006

      #2415 - Thursday, March 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

       Mind is poised in the state of bare awareness, there is no directing the mind. One is not looking within for anything; one is not looking without for anything. One is simply letting the mind rest in its own natural state. The empty, clear and unimpeded nature of mind can be experienced if we can rest in an uncontrived state of bare awareness without distraction and without the spark of awareness being lost. The pure nature of mind calls to mind an image such as the sun or the moon, a luminous body.

      Kalu Rinpoche on Mahamudra

      posted by Jax to Way-of-Light

      There's a story of three people who are watching a monk standing on top of a hill. After they watch him for a while, one of the three says, "He must be a shepherd looking for a sheep he's lost." The second person says, "No, he's not looking around. I think he must be waiting for a friend." And the third person says, "He's probably a monk. I'll bet he's meditating." They begin arguing over what this monk is doing, and eventually, to settle the squabble, they climb up the hill and approach him. "Are you looking for a sheep?" "No, I don't have any sheep to look for." "Oh, then you must be waiting for a friend." "No, I'm not waiting for anyone." "Well, then you must be meditating." "Well, no. I'm just standing here. I'm not doing anything at all." ...Seeing Buddha-nature requires that we... completely be each moment, so that whatever activity we are engaged in--whether we're looking for a lost sheep, or waiting for a friend, or meditating--we are standing right here, right now, doing nothing at all.

      --Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen\

      "(Bohm) suggests that what the cosmos is doing as we dialogue is to change its ideas of itself. Our doubts and our questions, our small truths and large ones are all forms of its drive toward clarity and truth. Through us, the universe questions itself and tries out various answers on itself in an effort parallel to our own - to decipher its own being. This as I reflect on it, is awesome. It assigns a role to man that was once reserved for the gods."

      Renee Weber, Dialogue with Scientists and Sages: The Search for Unity, 1986.

      Look at the birds. Even flying
      is born

      out of nothing. The first sky
      is inside you, Friend, open

      at either end of day.
      The work of wings

      was always freedom, fastening
      one heart to every falling thing.

      --  Li-Young Lee

      LOST

      STAND STILL.

      The trees ahead and the bushes beside you are not lost

      Wherever you are is called here,

      And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.

      You must ask permission to know it and be known.

      Listen, the forest breathes, it whispers

      I have made this place around you.

      If you leave it, you may come back again saying HERE.

      No two trees are the same to Raven.

      No two branches are the same to Wren.

      If what a tree or a branch does is lost on you,

      Then you are truly lost.

      STAND STILL. The forest knows where you are.

      You must let it find you.

      -- David Wagner, Who Shall Be the Sun

      On the road

      My friend, the traveler
      Remember
      We are here,
      Hidden under various disguises,
      Posted
      As guards, guides and companions
      Along your life's journey,
      Waiting
      To give you assistance
      To extend a helping hand
      To provide succor.

      We are
      But a reflection of your virtues
      Manifesting in time
      Of necessity.
      Savings
      Placed by your forgotten
      Selfless deeds
      In the inexhaustible
      Divine
      Treasure-house.
      Yours for the taking
      When the need arises.

      We are
      The friend
      Of friends
      Whose face is always hidden
      Yet ever revealed
      In the silent smile
      Of your heart,
      In the caress of the wind,
      In the soothing coolness of spring water.

      And the secret is
      That
      Forgetting yourself
      You too
      Are one
      Of
      Us.

      in love
      yosy

      posted to Allspirit

      The Zenlike Stammering of St. John of the Cross

      Nine verses made upon an ecstasy of high contemplation

      by St John of the Cross 1542-1591

      I entered into unknowing,

      and there I remained unknowing

      transcending all knowledge. I entered into unknowing,

      yet when I saw myself there,

      without knowing where I was,

      I understood great things;

      I will not say what I felt

      for I remained in unknowing

      transcending all knowledge. That perfect knowledge

      was of peace and holiness

      held at no remove

      in profound solitude;

      it was something so secret

      that I was left stammering,

      transcending all knowledge. I was so 'whelmed,

      so absorbed and withdrawn,

      that my senses were left

      deprived of all their sensing,

      and my spirit was given

      an understanding while not understanding,

      transcending all knowledge. He who truly arrives there

      cuts free from himself;

      all that he knew before

      now seems worthless,

      and his knowledge so soars

      that he is left in unknowing

      transcending all knowledge. The higher he ascends

      the less he understands,

      because the cloud is dark

      which lit up the night;

      whoever knows this

      remains always in unknowing

      transcending all knowledge. This knowledge in unknowing

      is so overwhelming

      that wise men disputing

      can never overthrow it,

      for their knowledge does not reach

      to the understanding of not understanding,

      transcending all knowledge. And this supreme knowledge

      is so exalted

      that no power of man or learning

      can grasp it;

      he who masters himself

      will, with knowledge in unknowing, always be

      transcending. And if you should want to hear:

      this highest knowledge lies

      in the loftiest sense

      of the essence of God;

      this is a work of his mercy,

      to leave one without understanding,

      transcending all knowledge.

      translation: anonymous, Teresian Carmel

      posted by Ben Hassine to Awakened Awareness