#2410 - Saturday, March 4, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2410, Saturday, March 4, 2006

      Comeback

      My father loved first light.
      He would sit alone
      at the yellow formica table
      in the kitchen with his coffee cup
      and sip and look out
      over the strait. Now,
      in what could be
      the end of my life, or worse,
      the life of someone I love, I too
      am addicted to slow sweet beginnings.
      First bird call. Wings
      in silhouette. How the steeples
      of the evergreens make a selvage
      for the gaunt emerging sky.

      My three loves are far away
      in other countries,
      and one is even under
      this dew-bright ground
      where the little herds
      of jittery quail peck
      and scurry for their lives.

      My father picks up his
      cup. Light is sifting in
      like a gloam of certainty
      over the water. He knows
      something there in the half light
      he can't know any other way.

      And now I know it with him: so much
      is joining us in the dawn
      that no one can ever be parted.
      It steals over us because we left
      the warm beds of our dreams
      to sit beside what rises.
      I think he wants to stay there
      forever, my captain, gazing but not
      expecting, while the world
      begins, and, in a stark silent calling,
      won't tell anyone what it's for.

      - Tess Gallagher from Dear Ghosts

      We have this way of talking,
      and we have another.
      Apart from what we wish
      and what we fear my happen,
      we are alive with other life,
      as clear stones
      take form in the mountains.

      Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, from Open Secret, posted to AlongTheWay

      Opinions are sometimes wrong,
      but what kind of opinion is this
      that's blind to the right road?
      O eye, you cry for others:
      sit down awhile and weep for yourself!
      The bough is made green and fresh
      by the weeping cloud for the same reason
      that the candle is made brighter
      by its weeping.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi II: 478-480, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      The soul brings its light from Heaven; the mind acquires its
      knowledge from earth. Therefore, when the soul believes readily, the
      mind may still doubt.

      - Bowl of Saki, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Belief is natural, and disbelief is unnatural, for belief is born in man, and unbelief is acquired... Every child born on earth is born with a tendency to believe what is told him, but the experience of the individual in this world full of falsehood teaches man to disbelieve. That shows that every soul comes from the world of truth, and opens his eyes in the world of falsehood. Every child comes into the world with that purity of heart whose natural tendency is to believe and later he acquires the tendency to doubt. The Prophet has therefore said: 'Every child is born a believer, it is afterwards that he becomes an unbeliever...' For doubt is earth-born and belief is heaven-born.

      The tendency to doubt, to be depressed, the tendency towards fear, suspicion and confusion, the tendency to puzzle -- where does it all come from? It all comes from the thought of getting something in return: 'will another give me back what I have given him? Shall I get the just portion back, or less?' if that is the thought behind one's acts there will be fear, doubt, suspicion, puzzle and confusion. For what is doubt? Doubt is a cloud that stands before the sun, keeping it from shining its light. So is doubt: gathering around the soul it keeps its light from shining out, and man becomes confused and perplexed. Once selflessness is developed, it breaks through the cloud saying, 'What do I care whether anyone appreciates it; I only know to give my service, and that is all my satisfaction. I do not look forward to get it back. I have given and it is finished; this is where my duty ends.' That person is blessed, because he has conquered, he has won.

      Understanding does not depend upon the head; it depends upon the heart. By the help of the head one can make it more clear, it becomes intelligible and one can express it better. But to begin with it must come from the heart, not from the head. Besides, a person who only uses his head says, 'It must be so because I think it is so', whereas the person who has the heart quality says, 'It is so because I believe it to be so'. That is the difference. In one person there is a doubt, in the other there is conviction... Spiritual attainment is nothing but conviction... When a person arrives at the stage when the knowledge of reality becomes a conviction, then there is nothing in the world that will change it. And if there is anything to attain to, it is that conviction which one can never find in the outside world; it must rise from the depths of one's own heart.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      Illusion is the cover of things;
      reality is the depth of things.

      - Hazrat Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan, from: A Meditation Theme for Each Day, selected and arranged by Hazrat Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, posted to SufiMystic

      When we understand the true nature of existence, which is an ever-changing
      and endless cycle of life and death... and when we dissolve into this
      process of existence, there are no more problems of birth, aging, illness
      and death.

      - Heart sutra excerpt, posted to truevision