#2409 - Friday, March 3, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Sonnets to Orpheus, Part One, XII -- Rainer Maria Rilke

      #2409 - Friday, March 3, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      Sonnets to Orpheus, Part One, XII

      Bless the spirit that makes connections,
      for truly we live in what we imagine.
      Clocks move along side our real life
      with steps that are ever the same.

      Though we do not know our exact location,
      we are held in place by what links us.
      Across trackless distances
      antennas sense each other.

      Pure attention, the essence of the powers!
      Distracted by each day's doing,
      how can we hear the signals?

      Even as the farmer labors
      there where the seed turns into summer,
      it is not his work.  It is Earth who gives.

      ~ Rainer Maria Rilke ~

      (In Praise of Mortality, translated and edited by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy)

      What's the trouble?

          Hui-tzu said to Chuang-tzu, "I have a gigantic tree, but its
      trunk is too gnarled for the plumb line and its branches too
      twisted for the ruler: even if it were set in the middle of the
      road, carpenters would pay no attention to it. What you say
      is similarly grandiose but useless, rejected by everyone alike."

      Chuang-tzu replied, "Have you not seen a wildcat? It lowers
      itself close to the ground to watch for careless prey; it leaps this
      way and that, light and low, but then gets caught in a trap and
      dies. A yak, on the other hand, is enormous; it can do big things,
      but cannot catch a rat. Now you have a huge tree and worry
      that it is useless: why not plant it in the vast plain of the homeland
      of Nothing Whatsoever, roaming in effortlessness by its side and
      sleeping in freedom beneath it? The reason it does not fall to the
      axe, and no one injures it, is that it cannot be exploited. So what's
      the trouble?"

      From: 'Vitality Energy Spirit - A Taoist Sourcebook'
      Translated and Edited by Thomas Cleary

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Expedients

      Buddhist teachings are prescriptions given according to specific
      ailments, to clear away the roots of your compulsive habits and
      clean out your emotional views, just so you can be free and clear,
      naked and clean, without problems.

      There is no real doctrine at all for you to chew on or squat over.
      If you will not believe in yourself, you pick up your baggage and
      go around to other people's houses looking for Zen, looking for
      Tao, looking for mysteries, looking for marvels, looking for
      buddhas, looking for Zen masters, looking for teachers.

      You think this is searching for the ultimate, and you make it into
      your religion, but this is like running blindly to the east to get
      something that is in the west. The more you run, the further away
      you are, and the more you hurry the later you become. You just
      tire yourself, to what benefit in the end?

      Zen Master Yuansou
      'Zen Essence' Translated and Edited by Thomas Cleary

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Alba

      "Dawn breaking as I woke,
      with the white sweat of the dew