#2406 - Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      [Amigos 10] The meaning of being...
      #2406 - Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      In the case of archery, the hitter and the hit are no longer two opposing objects, but are one reality.... Zen is the everyday mind, as was proclaimed by Baso (Ma-tsu, died 788); this everyday mind is no more than sleeping when tired, eating when hungry. As soon as we reflect, deliberate, and conceptualize, the original unconsciousness is lost and a thought interferes. We no longer eat while eating, we no longer sleep while sleeping. The arrow is off the string but does not fly straight to the target, nor does the target stand where it is. Calculation which is miscalculation sets in.
      --D.T. Suzuki, in Eugen Herrigels Zen and the Art of Archery

      It is not merely the brevity by which the haiku isolates a particular
      group of phenomena from all the rest; nor its suggestiveness, through
      which it reveals a whole world of experience.  It is not only in its
      remarkable use of the season word, by which it gives us a feeling of
      a quarter of the year; nor its faint all-pervading humour.  Its peculiar
      quality is its self-effacing, self-annihilative nature, by which it
      enables us, more than any other form of literature, to grasp the
      thing-in-itself.

      The sun shines, snow falls, mountains rise and valleys sink,
      night deepens and pales into day, but it is only very seldom
      that we attend to such things ... When we are grasping the
      inexpressible meaning of these things, this is life, this is living.
      To do this twenty-four hours a day is the Way of Haiku.
      It is having life more abundantly.

      Haiku shows us what we knew all the time,
      but did not know we knew; it shows us that
      we are poets in so far as we live at all.

      ~  Haiku, Volumes One thru Four
      R.H.Blyth
      Ed. note: Blyth had a most interesting  life. A brief bio may be read here:

      *   *   *

      Each successful haiku is a breath of freedom. The seventeen syllable,
      traditional form was adjudged to be a breath span. And, just as Keats
      said that poetry should come as naturally as foliage to a tree, or not
      at all, so we say that haiku is an exhalation, a breath of freedom, a
      sigh.

      It is a plunge. In the way of haiku, we cannot know what is next to be
      revealed. We are not soothsayers. Nor do we dabble in magic. What will
      be the next haiku moment? Anticipation is foolish. Each moment is as
      unique as your fingerprints, your iris, and as fleeting as your
      breath. The haiku moment will not happen without you. You must be
      there for it to happen. And it occurs in such an intense, pure form
      that it appears to have happened without you. That brief, piercing
      insight, that moment of haiku enlightenment, has stripped you of the
      thousand items that are the jig-saw of your ego. Then we're back again
      in the duality of the world and its routines. But we know that another
      surprise awaits around the corner, whatever it may be."
      ~ Gabriel Rosenstock

      posted by ts to Allspirit

      The desolation of winter;
      passing through a small hamlet,
      a dog barks.

      with advancing autumn
      I am without gods
      without Buddha

      the bright moon
      something in my breast
      I am alone

      ~Masaoka Shiki

      mountain temple--
      under the spring moon
      a poem party

      with a voice
      like a temple bell...
      the lover cat

      seaside temple--
      the room in the mist
      grows faint

      mountain temple--
      the butterfly sips
      Buddha's tea water

      ~Issa

      WHChaikuforumworkshop - Themed Category
      Haiku Theme:  Light
      Chosen by Susumu Takiguchi
      Oxford, UK

      the sun stumbles
      reeling towards sunset
      drunk with daylight

      you petulant orb
      positioning yourself
      between night and I

      ~ Mazie Lane

      http://www.worldhaikureview.org/2-1/whchaikuforumworkshop_th.shtml

      September 11 - Outpourings: "Real Haiku"

      Real Haiku - Susumu Takiguchi

      "Real" haiku encompasses haiku which are not generally
      "yuki-teikei" and/or those which are un-traditional in
      terms of subject matter. WHC's members spontaneously
      responded to the events of September 11 and afterward
      with haiku and related poetry. Those poems presented
      here are unedited, offered in tribute to those who
      suffered loss..."

      never wanted this
      always remembering
      another war

      ~ Mazie Lane

      http://www.worldhaikureview.org/1-3/september11_vanguardhaiku.shtml

      http://www.worldhaikureview.org/

      As I Am,

      Mazie

      Dear friends,

      This time Amigo lets itself be heard by means of the question:
      'What is the sense or meaning of existence?'

      In this edition:

      o Wolter Keers on Indifference
      o Jan van Delden about Happiness in life
      o interviews with Jan van Rossum, Guy Smith, Chuck Hillig and Fokke Slootstra
      o Jed McKenna on where to find enlightenment
      o a column by Rood Houweling
      o an 'innerview' with and by Ragen

      In summation you can ask yourself:
      Is life a choice or a privilege?

      much pleasure in being

      the Amigo editors

      Consciousness as an experience junkie
      interview with Chuck Hillig

      excerpt from Amigo:

      Well, since Dick has invited me to say a few final words, these are some of the random thoughts that showed up: Essentially, my 'mission' is to dis-illusion you. I want to encourage you to punch 'wholes' in the story of who-you-think-you-are. Stop 'making-up-your-mind,' and, instead, practice touching the entrancing world of forms more lightly. You can only play the Song-of-God on the cosmic piano by living each moment as if you're arriving...and departing...at the very same instant. You won't have time to cling to your attachments if you're always free-falling into the love that you already are.
      Live courageously from the Heart. After all, do you want a safe life or do you want an authentic life? Be willing to fully and consciously 'live-the-risk-that-life-is' while remembering that, at the same time, everything changes and everything ends.
      Sadly, though, most people live as if they're only extras in their own movie. You are not an extra, a minor character or even one of the 'co-stars.' You are, in fact, the Star. So... start starring because it's all Star. And all of 'IT' is just for you. Remember, you are 'what is.'
      Since opposites arise simultaneously, it's true that, without you, I'm nothing. And, vice versa. In making 'Much Ado About Nothing,' we learn to recreate new imaginary friends like we once had in childhood. Now, however, we just call these imaginary friends 'everyone else.' Since they're here to play in your play, you should honor them for contributing to your awakening. Since you're always walking among your gurus, learn to patiently accept their grace gracefully... even if it doesn't look like grace. Heaven, after all, is only the graceful alignment with (and unconditional acceptance of) 'what is.' Buddha once said, 'This very body is the Buddha. This very place is the Lotus paradise.' So if it's not right here and right now, then it's not anywhere. Each and every moment is another opportunity for joyous celebration. And, since 'It' will always be there, even the chaos that shows up on your path needs to be celebrated, too. Instead, we often create our own hell by living fearfully among the ego-based concepts of 'me, mine and more.'
      If duality is: 'Nothing pretending that it's something,' then non-duality is: 'Nothing remembering that it's only pretending.' So, look to (and in) your own Self. The Dhammapada said that: 'You are your own refuge. There is no other refuge.' To know thy Self, you have to learn to 'no' thy self.
      Finally, please remember that it's really OK to sing and dance along the way. As Maharshi once said, 'It is all only a great game of pretending.'

      Chuck's website: www.chuckhillig.com
      An online video interview can be found at: www.wisdomteachers.com/drdennis27.html
      Other books by Chuck Hillig::
      • Enlightenment for beginners
      • The way it is
      • Seeds For The Soul
      (These three books form The Enlightment Trilogy)