#2405 - Monday, February 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      #2405 - Monday, February 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      "You need to train yourself so that at any time and any moment
      you choose, you can free yourself inwardly from your world,
      from others, from the past, from the future, from the previous
      thought and the next thought. This is to find freedom. Yet if
      you then think you are free and have some wisdom, this is not
      so. You should not be attached to solitude or to experiences of
      relative freedom. When you are neither attached to independence
      nor to company then wisdom will manifest."

      ~Chan Master Sheng-Yen

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      you can also untrain yourself from all the conditioning
      that has implied feelings are bad, thoughts are bad,
      body sensations are bad and attachments are not
      spiritual. you can find freedom in welcoming every
      aspect of your life, in allowing yourself to hold nothing
      back from what is -in- your life, from what -is- your life.
      as more women find their voices, it may become
      clearer and clearer that while clarity and detachment
      are one aspect of experiencing the whole, it does not
      deny coming from the inside out to include connection.

      connection that becomes so intimate, so breathable,
      that it is seen all the pushing away from anything
      was what sustained the feeling of separation. yes,
      we can know freedom from everything, and we can also
      know the freedom in everything. in deeply loving and
      caring about every person and event with whole mixtures
      of feelings from currents of desire to frustration to
      anger to inspiration, and indeed, amidst all these
      swirls, the truth is just as radiant. just as radiantly
      this. it is just as possible to love and be free.

      posted by Josie Kane to Allspirit

      photo by Alan Larus       http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/house&field1.htm

      "Spiritual teachers from all traditions have spoken
      about the ways they have reached awareness of the
      essential connectedness of all things.  In most of
      these traditions, the emphasis has been upon
      deepening connections to other people, to nature,
      and to spiritual beings.  Somewhat more unusual, but
      present on the fringe of most traditions, is the sense
      of connection to animals and animal spirits.  An
      exception is the shamanic tradition, in which animals
      are placed at the center of awareness.  A shaman
      gains spiritual insight and healing power through a
      deep connection with animal spirits.  This the path
      of animal connections.  It is also my path."

      --Margot Lasher, And the Animals Will Teach You,
      Berkley Book 1996, page 2

      The Indian Parrot
      Rumi

      There was a merchant setting out for India.

      He asked each male and female servant
      what they wanted to be brought as a gift.

      Each told him a different exotic object:
      A piece of silk, a brass figurine,
      a pearl necklace.

      Then he asked his beautiful caged parrot,
      the one with such a lovely voice,
      and she said,
                       "When you see the Indian parrots,
      describe my cage. Say that I need guidance
      here in my separation from them. Ask how
      our friendship can continue with me so confined
      and them flying about freely in the meadow mist.

      Tell them that I remember well our mornings
      moving together from tree to tree.

      Tell them to drink one cup of ecstatic wine
      in honor of me here in the dregs of my life.

      Tell them that the sound of their quarrelling
      high in the trees would be sweeter
      to hear than any music."

      This parrot is the spirit-bird in all of us,
      that part that wants to return to freedom,
      and is the freedom. What she wants
      from India is herself!

      So this parrot gave her message to the merchant,
      and when he reached India, he saw a field
      full of parrots. He stopped
      and called out what she had told him.

      One of the nearest parrots shivered
      and stiffened and fell down dead.

      The merchant said, "This one is surely kin
      to my parrot. I shouldn't have spoken."

      He finished his trading and returned home
      with the presents for his workers.

      When he got to the parrot, she demanded her gift.
      "What happened when you told my story
      to the Indian parrots?"

      "I'm afraid to say."
                       "Master, you must!"

      "When I spoke your complaint to the field
      of chattering parrots, it broke
      one of their hearts.

      She must have been a close companion,
      or a relative, for when she heard about you
      she grew quiet and trembled, and died."

      As the caged parrot heard this, she herself
      quivered and sank to the cage floor.

      This merchant was a good man.
      He grieved deeply for his parrot, murmuring
      distracted phrases, self-contradictory -
      cold, then loving - clear, then
      murky with symbolism.

      A drowning man reaches for anything!
      The Friend loves this flailing about
      better than any lying still.

      The One who lives inside existence
      stays constantly in motion,
      and whatever you do, that king
      watches through the window.

      When the merchant threw the "dead" parrot
      out of the cage, it spread its wings
      and glided to a nearby tree!

      The merchant suddenly understood the mystery.
      "Sweet singer, what was in the message
      that taught you this trick?"

      "She told me that it was the charm
      of my voice that kept me caged.
      Give it up, and be released!"

      The parrot told the merchant one or two more
      spiritual truths. Then a tender goodbye.

      "God protect you," said the merchant
      "as you go on your new way.
      I hope to follow you!"

      ~Rumi   'One-Handed Basket Weaving'
      Versions  by Coleman Barks

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      The Silence

      By Wendell Berry
      (1934 - )

      Though the air is full of singing
      my head is loud
      with the labor of words.

      Though the season is rich
      with fruit, my tongue
      hungers for the sweet of speech.

      Though the beech is golden
      I cannot stand beside it
      mute, but must say

      "It is golden," while the leaves
      stir and fall with a sound
      that is not a name.

      It is in the silence
      that my hope is, and my aim.
      A song whose lines

      I cannot make or sing
      sounds men's silence
      like a root. Let me say

      and not mourn: the world
      lives in the death of speech
      and sings there

      -- from The Collected Poems of Wendell Berry, 1957-1982, by Wendell Berry

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Stop asking, How do I get there from here?
      Few are fully here.
      The question is: How do I get here from there?

      Here's your Daily Music selection --

      Levi Chen

      Liquid Gardens

      Listen - Purchase