#2403 - Saturday, February 25, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2396, Saturday, February 18, 2006

      Gloria asked me to pass this info along. The link she offered to the Spirit of Tibet in the Friday HLs is: http://www.buddhistmedia.com/default.asp?lang=eng

      If you'd like to view the film, start here, click on archives for TV, go to 2001, its about the 4th down.

      "...Of course, everyone is looking for peace of mind and
      satisfaction in the heart, but they have no idea how to get it.
      Their methods are through external development only. Even though
      they really want peace and satisfaction, because of lack of
      spiritual education, Dharma education, they don't have methods, they
      don't have knowledge of practice.

      So they end up just as the Rolling Stones sang: 'I can't get no
      satisfaction.'

      So from my point of view, unless you have renounced attachment you
      will not find satisfaction. You could be living in life-time
      retreat, or in the monastery or nunnery following the moral
      disciplines, having sacrificed a lot of the pleasures of this life,
      a lot of comfort, in order to live in pure morality, but if the mind
      is still suffering, it's because it didn't renounce attachment, it
      is not separated from attachment clinging to this life...

      Practicing renunciation helps you become liberated from samsara, so
      that's what you need, otherwise you experience suffering again and
      again, without end.

      And practicing the right view, emptiness: that's the best way of
      taking care of yourself because it cuts the root of suffering.

      And what else do you need? What is better than this? What else is
      there that is better than this?"

      - Lama Zopa Rinpoche, posted to DailyDharma

      If you want to be a great leader,
      you must learn to follow the Tao.
      Stop trying to control.
      Let go of fixed plans and concepts,
      and the world will govern itself.

      The more prohibitions you have,
      the less virtuous people will be.
      The more weapons you have,
      the less secure people will be.
      The more subsidies you have,
      the less self-reliant people will be.

      Therefore the Master says:
      I let go of the law,
      and people become honest.
      I let go of economics,
      and people become prosperous.
      I let go of religion,
      and people become serene.
      I let go of all desire for the common good,
      and the good becomes common as grass.

      - Lao-Tzu, Tao Te Ching: Verse 57, translated by Stephen Mitchell, posted to AlphaWorld

      Gone,
      and a million things leave no trace

      Loosed,
      and it flows through the galaxies

      A fountain of 'light,'
      into the very mind ...

      Not a 'thing,'
      and yet it 'appears' before me:

      Now I 'know'
      the pearl of the Spirit-nature

      Know its use:
      a boundless perfect sphere.

      - Han-Shan, circa 630, posted to Poetic_Mysticism

      THE SNOW-WORLD MELTS

      Think of the phoenix coming up out of ashes,
      but not flying off.
      For a moment we have form.
      We can't see.
      How can we be conscious and you be conscious
      at the same time and separate?
      Copper when an alchemist works on it loses its copper
      qualities. Seeds in Spring
      begin to be trees, no longer seed. Brushwood
      put in the fire changes. The snow-world melts.
      You step in my footprint and it's gone.

      It's not that I've done anything to deserve
      this attention from you. Predestination
      and freewill: We can argue them,
      but they're only ideas. What's real
      is a presence, like Shams.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 3071. version by Coleman Barks, posted to Sunlight

      You did not come forth seeking assignments to complete. You came forth for reason to flow, and to love and enjoy life. Even you you will return home at the end of any vacation, the idea of your holiday is not to complete it as quickly as possible so that you can check it off of your list. The idea of your vacation - and of this life experience - is to have a joyous experience.

      - Abraham-Hicks Well Being Cards, posted to truevision