#2399 - Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2006
      #2399 - Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      "The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was
      waiting it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun," said
      Lu-Tze.

      (Thief of Time, Terry Pratchett)

      posted by Joe Riley to Allspirit

      Non-Duality Cartoons

      by Bob Seal, one of our creative readers!

      Sincerity is not a test of truth. We must not make
      this mistake: He must be right; he's so sincere. Because,
      it is possible to be sincerely wrong. We can only judge
      truth by truth and sincerity by sincerity. Find someone
      who is willing to share the truth with you.

      ~Jim Rohn

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      The Other Syntax

      Did the universe really begin?
      Is the theory of the big bang true?
      These are not questions, though they sound like they are.
      Is the syntax that requires beginnings, developments
      and ends as statements of fact the only syntax that exists?
      That's the real question.
      There are other syntaxes.
      There is one, for example, which demands that varieties
      of intensity be taken as facts.
      In that syntax nothing begins and nothing ends;
      thus birth is not a clean, clear-cut event,
      but a specific type of intensity,
      and so is maturation, and so is death.
      A man of that syntax, looking over his equations, finds that
      he has calculated enough varieties of intensity
      to say with authority
      that the universe never began
      and will never end,
      but that it has gone, and is going now, and will go
      through endless fluctuations of intensity.
      That man could very well conclude that the universe itself
      is the chariot of intensity
      and that one can board it
      to journey through changes without end.
      He will conclude all that and much more,
      perhaps without ever realizing
      that he is merely confirming
      the syntax of his mother tongue.

      --Carlos Castaneda
      THE ACTIVE SIDE OF INFINITY

      posted to The Power of Silence

      Hey, that reminds me of a funny event during my graduate student days..

      We used to have Friday afternoon seminars given by visiting math professors.. a long room with no rear exit..

      The seminars were supposed to last one hour... but this visiting oriental professor whose English was so bad no one could understand him  went on and on.. hour and a half going on two...

      At one point he said something that sounded like 'ra ra ra ra reek'. A person sitting near me whispered: 'what did he say?' I whispered back: 'I'm going to talk for another week'... Only politeness kept the folks sitting around us from bursting ...

      another true story by Sam Pasiencier

      by Bob Seal

      yummmm ... candy bars

      ... You see, we are still talking about the same old
      problem but we have put it one step up. "How can I improve
      myself?", was the first problem, and the second problem is,
      "How can I accept grace?", but they are both the same
      problem because in each case you have got to make a
      move that will put yourself out of your own control into the
      control of a "better."
      And if you do not believe in the Christian kind of a God you
      can believe in the Hindu kind of a God who is your inner self.
      You have a lower self that you call your ego - that is that little
      scoundrelly fellow that is always out for "me." But behind the
      ego there is the atman, the inner self, or the inward light, as
      the  Quakers call it; it is the real self, the spirit that is
      substantially identical with God. So you have to meditate in
      such a way that you identify with your higher self.

      But how do you do that? Well, you start by watching all of
      your thoughts very carefully. You watch your feelings, you
      watch your emotions, and you begin to build up a sense of
      separation between the watcher and what is watched. In this
      way, you are no longer carried away by your own stream of
      consciousness. You remain the witness, impassively,
      impartially suspending judgment and watching it all go on.

      Now, this seems to be something like progress - at least you
      are taking an objective view of what is happening, and you
      are beginning to be in a position to control it. But just wait a
      minute! Who is this self behind the self, the watching self?
      Can you watch that one? It is interesting if you do because
      you find out, of course, that the watching self, or the observing
      self, behind all your thoughts and feelings is itself a thought.
      That is to say, when the police enter a house in which there
      are thieves, the thieves go up from the ground floor to the first
      floor. When the police arrive on the first floor, the thieves have
      gone up to the second, and so on to the third and finally out
      onto the roof. Just so, when the ego is about to be unmasked,
      it immediately identifies with the higher self. It goes up a level,
      because the religious game version is simply a refined and
      high-brow version of the ordinary game  "How can I outwit me?"
      So if I find, for example, that in the quest for pleasure, the
      ordinary pleasures of the world - food, sex, power, possessions -
      become a drag and I think, "No, it is not that," and then I go in
      for the arts, literature, poetry, and music, and I absorb myself
      in those pleasures, then after awhile I find that they are not the
      answer either. So then I go in for psychoanalysis, and I find
      out that is not the answer, and then I turn to religion, but I'm
      still seeking what I was seeking when I wanted candy bars!
      I want to get that goodie.

      Only I see now that it is not going to be a material goodie
      because all material goodies fall apart; but maybe there is
      a spiritual goodie that will not. Still, the spiritual quest is no
      different than the quest for the candy bar. Same old story,
      only you have refined the candy bar and made it abstract and
      holy and blessed and so on. So it is with the higher self.
      The higher self is your same old ego, but you sure hope it is
      eternal, indestructable, and all-wise.

        Alan Watts
        The Way of Liberation
        Pages 60-1

      posted by ts to Allspirit

      What understanding comes through reading?
      I decided not to let books determine
      my life, but only whatever helps dissolve
      infatuation and sentimental longing.

      The shrewdness of innate,
      subtle intellect is a fox
      who knows what I need.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Lalla
      Naked Song

      posted by Viorica Weissman to The Power of Silence

      "Even though I have a long way to go,
      let me put remorse away,
      step by step in precious patience.

      Even though I reach for the Milky Way,
      and not succeed,
      let me put away a remorse that is beyond knowledge.

      Again, let my hands and feet return to work.
      Even if it is a lonely trail,
      the earth and the sky are looking after me.
      From the start, leaving behind the habit of resting on someone,
      let me walk like a herd boy climbing the mountains.
      ~~Kyunghoon Sunim

      From the book; "Living Peace," published by Iris International.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972009809/angelinc

      posted to Daily Dharma