#2398 - Monday, February 20, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2006

      #2398 - Monday, February 20, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      All of the selections in this issue were posted by Mazie Lane, most to Nonduality Salon. Mazie is a generous contributor to many lists, one whose loving spirit shines brightly wherever she goes. Thank you, Mazie.

      "... the soul sees, knows, feels, and comprehends God as invisible
      light, incomprehensible and unknown good. Comprehending, seeing,
      knowing, and feeling God, the soul, according to its capacity,
      expands in him and becomes filled with him through love... The soul,
      then, experiences and possesses God's sweetness more from what it
      does not comprehend than from what it comprehends, more from what it
      does not see than from what it sees, more from what it does not feel
      than from what it feels, more finally, from what it does not know
      than from what it knows."

      ~ Angela Foligno

      As I Am,

      Mzie

      "Only in growth, reform, and change, paradoxically enough,

      is true security to be found."

      "The intellectual is constantly betrayed by his vanity. Godlike he

      blandly assumes that he can express everything in words; whereas

      the things one loves, lives, and dies for are not, in the last analysis

      completely expressible in words."

      "The loneliness you get by the sea is personal and alive. It doesn't

      subdue you and make you feel abject. It's stimulating loneliness."

      "The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere."

      "The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding

      or expecting, not in hoping, even. Security in a relationship lies neither in

      looking back to what it was, nor forward to what it might be, but living

      in the present and accepting it as it is now."

      ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

      "The seeker said to himself, "If I'd known
      the real meaning of this being with God,
      how should I have gone searching for Him?
      But that knowledge depended on this journeying:
      that knowing can't be gained by thinking, no
      matter how precise."

      ~ Rumi

      Speak Kindly To Yourself

      “What is this self inside us, this silent observer,
      severe and speechless critic, who can terrorize us,
      and urge us on to futile activity,
      and in the end, judge us still more severely,
      for the errors into which his own reproaches drove us?”

      ~ T. S. Eliot

      "Enlightenment absorbs this universe of qualities.
      When that merging occurs, there is nothing
      but God. This is the only doctrine.

      There is no word for it, no mind
      to understand it with, no categories
      of transcendence or non-transcendence,
      no vow of silence, no mystical attitude.

      There is no Shiva and no Shakti
      in enlightenment, and if there is something
      that remains, that whatever-it-is
      is the only teaching."

      ~Lalla

      "Humility is very, very important. Everybody wants to win a point,
      win an argument, win a fight, and yet if you have humility, it never
      comes into your mind to win or get even .....

      ...... Say somebody slaps you. The first thing our ego
      will tell us is to beat them up, slap them back, shoot them, kill
      them, get even with them. But if we're wise, we'll understand the
      reason we were slapped on the face ......

      Therefore, anything that has ever happened to you in any area of your
      life, no matter how it looks, you are in your right place. No one is
      picking on you, no one is trying to do anything to you. No one is
      trying to hurt you. If you cooperate and do not react and do not
      retaliate, and send out a message of love and peace, then you will
      transcend that .....

      But if you retaliate and you try to win the battle, you may appear to be winning
      the battle this instant, you may appear to be getting somewhere, but
      the fruits of your actions must return sooner or later. Therefore,
      you are playing games with yourself and you'll never get anywhere;
      you'll keep repeating the situation again and again and again, with
      different people, you may move to a different state, be involved in
      different situations, but you will find the same problems.
      Therefore, whatever seems wrong in your life, whatever seems
      terrible, do not look at the problem in itself as a problem. Rise
      above it, realize no one is to blame for it, you have no enemies, no
      one is trying to hurt you. This is humility.

      You're not a coward, you're not a wimp. You have risen above that
      kind of thinking. That kind of thinking does not exist.
      That's why the story of Ramana Maharshi, when he went for a walk
      in the jungle one day, and he inadvertantly stepped into a wasps' nest,
      and the wasps started stinging him, he didn't even pull his leg out,
      but he spoke to the wasps and said:

       "I deserve this, I invaded the house where you live
      and I deserve what you are doing to my leg, and if you want, you can
      attack the other leg."

      When he got back to the ashram from his walk,
      he was bitten all through the leg and had to put ointment on it. But
      he wasn't fazed one bit. He had a perpetual smile on his face, with
      the realization "All is well."

      Now look at your lives. Think of the things that bother you every
      day, that annoy you every day, the things that make you angry, that
      make you upset, that make you want to retaliate. Get rid of this."

      ~ Silence of the Heart: Dialogues With Robert Adams, published by
      Acropolis Books. (I removed the karma reference portions of the dialogue,
      leaving the rest of the piece intact)

      As I Am,

      Mzie

      "When you see yourself
      and someone else
      as one being,

      when you know the most joyful day
      and the most terrible night
      as one moment, then

      awareness is alone
      with it Lord."

      ~Lalla

      "An example of self-love and acceptance in action could be something
      like this: Let's say I've identified that I am afraid. I could say, 'I
      am a brave and courageous person,' but that's not going to do any good.
      Or I could say, 'It's ok to be afraid,' and begin to focus on what this
      fear is...."

      "Am I afraid all of the time? No. Well, when am I afraid? What exactly
      am I afraid of? If I'm trying to hide the fear, repress it, not let
      myself know that I have it, it can become a weapon for self-hate because
      instead of being someone who is afraid of a specific thing, I get
      labelled by self-hate as a frightened, fearful, whiny, needy, cowardly
      person. But if I'm just afraid of 'something,' and that's okay, that
      nonjudgement is an open doorway that I can go through. The acceptance
      brings me back to myself. I can be still with the fear as it's
      happening, experience it for what it is, and allow it to be healed
      within that acceptance."

      ~ Cheri Huber, Zen teacher, fom the book, "There Is Nothing Wrong With You: Regardless Of What You Were Taught To Believe, A Compassionate Process For Learning To Accept Yourself Exactly As You Are," published by Keep It Simple Books.

      How To Outwit a Mosquito

      "My early months with Sri Yukteswar culminated in a useful lesson—
      "How to Outwit a Mosquito." At home my family always used protective
      curtains at night. I was dismayed to discover that in the Serampore hermitage
      this prudent custom was honored in the breach. Yet the insects were in full residency; I was bitten from head to foot. My guru took pity on me.

      "Buy yourself a curtain, and also one for me." He laughed and added,
      "If you buy only one, for yourself, all mosquitoes will concentrate on me!"

      I was more than thankful to comply. Every night that I spent in Serampore,
      my guru would ask me to arrange the bedtime curtains.

      The mosquitoes one evening were especially virulent. But Master failed
      to issue his usual instructions. I listened nervously to the anticipatory hum
      of the insects. Getting into bed, I threw a propitiatory prayer in their general direction. A half hour later, I coughed pretentiously to attract my guru's
      attention. I thought I would go mad with the bites and especially the singing
      drone as the mosquitoes celebrated bloodthirsty rites.

      No responsive stir from Master; I approached him cautiously. He was not
      breathing. This was my first observation of him in the yogic trance; it filled
      me with fright.

      "His heart must have failed!" I placed a mirror under his nose; no breath-vapor appeared. To make doubly certain, for minutes I closed his mouth and nostrils
      with my fingers. His body was cold and motionless. In a daze, I turned toward the door to summon help.

      "So! A budding experimentalist! My poor nose!" Master's voice was shaky
      with laughter.

      "Why don't you go to bed? Is the whole world
      going to change for you? Change yourself: be rid of
      the mosquito consciousness."

      Meekly I returned to my bed. Not one insect ventured near.
      I realized that my guru had previously agreed to the curtains
      only to please me; he had no fear of mosquitoes. His yogic
      power was such that he either could will them not to bite,
      or could escape to an inner invulnerability.

      The instructive mosquitoes served for another early
      lesson at the ashram. It was the gentle hour of dusk.
      My guru was matchlessly interpreting the ancient texts.
      At his feet, I was in perfect peace. A rude mosquito
      entered the idyl and competed for my attention. As it
      dug a poisonous hypodermic needle into my thigh, I
      automatically raised an avenging hand.

      Reprieve from impending execution! An opportune memory came
      to me of one of Patanjali's yoga aphorisms—that on ahimsa (harmlessness).

      "Why didn't you finish the job?"

      "Master! Do you advocate taking life?"

      "No; but the deathblow already had been struck in your mind."

      "I don't understand."

      "Patanjali's meaning was the removal of desire to kill."
      Sri Yukteswar had found my mental processes an open book.
      "This world is inconveniently arranged for a literal practice
      of ahimsa. Man may be compelled to exterminate harmful creatures.
      He is not under similar compulsion to feel anger or animosity.
      All forms of life have equal right to the air of maya.
      The saint who uncovers the secret of creation will be
      in harmony with its countless bewildering expressions.
      All men may approach that understanding who curb the
      inner passion for destruction."

      ~ Paramahansa Yogananda, "Autobiography of a Yogi"

      "Your pride in yourself and your wanting,
      these steal your energy along the road.

      If you can kill these robbers
      and become the servant of everyone,
      you'll meet the Lord in meditation
      and see what you used to protect
      as just a pile of ashes."

      ~ Lalla

      Witness: Stay at the Flame's Core

      "The manifest world moves by, held in the witness, stars

      reflecting in the nightcreek.  There is a natural motion
      to the way of love,  as well as the passionate stillpoints.

      The mystery of the witness is that there's no experience

      involved, nor anything one does or feels,

      just the background
      of a quiet, interstellar absence."

      ~ Rumi, from "The Soul of Rumi"