#2394 - Thursday, February 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2006
      #2394 - Thursday, February 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nondual Highlights
      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      Soul, Heart, and Body One Morning
      "There's a morning where presence comes over you,
      and you sing like a rooster in your earth-colored shape.
      Your heart hears and, no longer frantic, begins
      to dance. At that moment soul
      reaches total emptiness. Your heart becomes Mary,
      miraculously pregnant, and body, like a two-day old
      Jesus says wisdom words. Now the heart
      turns to light, and the body picks up the tempo.
      Where Shamsi Tabriz walks, the footprints
      are musical notes and holes you fall through into space."
      ~ Rumi, "Book of Love" - transliterated by Coleman Barks
      posted by Mazie Lane to Allspirit

      Under a vast blue sky this wondrous presence is here, replacing
      habitual worrisome thoughts and feelings. They can't survive the deep
      silence of open being. It is not brought about by anything or anyone -
      it is here without effort, without time.

      - Toni Packer
      posted by Ben Hassine

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      By Juan Ramon Jimenez
      (1881 - 1958)

      English version by Robert Bly

                I have a feeling that my boat
      has struck, down there in the depths,
      against a great thing.
                                              And nothing
      happens! Nothing...Silence...Waves...

                --Nothing happens? Or has everything happened,
      and are we standing now, quietly, in the new life?

      -- from News of the Universe: Poems of Twofold Consciousness, Edited by Robert Bly

      Ajahn Sumedho:

      "Trust in your own intuitive awakened sense. Don't
      trust in your views and opinions about anything: about
      yourself, about Buddhism or the world, for these views
      are often times very biased. We get very biased views
      about each other: we have racial prejudices, class identities,
      ethnic biases and feelings of social superiority. These are
      not to be trusted.

      We can look at things in different ways. We don't have
      to look at something always from the conditioning that
      we have acquired. So when the Buddha talks about
      the Buddha-mind, it's very flexible and malleable; it's
      universal. We can see things in so many different ways.
      The mind has a radiant quality to it. Consciousness
      has a radiance; it has a light itself. So when we begin
      to let go of always limiting ourselves through the
      distortions of our conditioned mental states, then we
      begin to understand, see things as they really are,
      know the Dhamma - enlightenment."

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      "In Louisville, at the corner of Fourth and Walnut, in the center
      of the shopping district, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the
      realization that I loved all these people, that they were mine
      and I theirs, that we could not be alien to one another even
      though we were total strangers. It was like waking from a dream
      of separateness, of spurious self-isolation in a special world,
      the world of renunciation and supposed holiness. The whole
      illusion of a separate holy existence is a dream.

      Not that I question the reality of my vocation, or of my monastic life:
      but the conception of "separation from the world" that we have in
      the monastery too easily presents itself as a complete illusion,
      we are in the same world as everybody else, the world of the
      bomb, the world of race hatred, the world of technology, the
      world of mass media, big business, revolution, and all the rest,
      This sense of liberation from an illusory difference was such a
      relief and such a joy to me that I almost laughed out loud ....
      To think that for sixteen or seventeen years I have been taking
      seriously this pure illusion that is implicit in so much of our
      monastic thinking .... I have the immense joy of being man,
      a member of a race in which God Himself became incarnate.
      As if the sorrows and stupidities of the human condition could
      overwhelm me, now I realize what we all are. And if only
      everybody could realize this! But it cannot be explained.
      There is no way of telling people that they are all walking
      around shining like the sun."

      ~ Thomas Merton, Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander

      posted by ts to Allspirit