#2391 - Monday, February 13, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2006

      #2391 - Monday, February 13, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      The Supreme Water Spirit

      The supreme water spirit Ocean covers the earth with clouds; the rain in each place is different, but the spirit has no thought of distinction. Likewise, Buddha, sovereign of truth, extends clouds of great compassion in all directions, raining differently for each practitioner, yet without discriminating among them.

      --The Flower Ornament Scripture, trans. by Thomas Cleary

      BETWEEN YOU AND I (1981)

      Words just fail to define
      what is yours and what is mine,
      what is you and what is me
      and what it is that comes between us.
      Where is the mark
      where you start and I finish,
      where you grow and I diminish?
      I cannot comprehend
      my ending and your beginning,
      my losing and your winning,
      my sainting and your sinning.
      Words cannot hope to clarify
      what it is between you and I

      (from the forthcoming book: THE NECTAR OF BEING (Poems Of A Non-Dual
      & Mystical Kind .... by Roy Whenary & Eileen McCormick)
      www.lotusharmony.com

      From
      'Thinking' By Ajahn Amaro
      http://www.nyimc.org/articles/thinking.htm

      During one of the monastic retreats at Amaravati Buddhist
      Monastery in England, Ajahn Sumedho said emphatically,
      "All your thoughts are garbage. You may think that some of
      them are good but you should consider the possibility that
      all your thoughts are garbage." Some people may have felt
      that this was an insulting thing to say, but I found it brought
      a tremendous sense of relief. One of the biggest problems
      with thoughts is that we tend to believe everything they say:
      "If I am thinking it, it must be true." But actually our thoughts
      are just a collection of habitual judgments, perceptions,
      memories and ideas that are fed through consciousness. They
      may have some relationship with truth but they may not! If we
      take as a base line the notion that most of our thoughts are like
      the random barking of the dog, we make less out of them. And
      therein lies the sense of relief. We then find that we can relate
      to thought in a much more open way. We are not looking on it as
      being meaningful or true or realistic at all; and we're not giving
      it a value beyond what it really has.

      Most of our thoughts are like dreams. Occasionally, perhaps once
      or twice a year we may have a dream that is significant and we
      know it. We may not know exactly what it is about but it is pretty
      clear that there's a message in it. But the other 364 days a year
      it's just the leftovers of the day. There is nothing particularly
      significant or important about any of our dream content at all.
      It's just the residue, the echoes of the day's events and
      activities, the things that we have rehashed a couple of times
      already.

      When we look at thought in this way we aren't being pulled into
      it. We can just look at it. We don't reject it or suppress it, but
      we don't buy into it either. We don't make more out of it than is
      there. That attitude of listening, of opening to and receiving
      thought, has a liberating quality in-and-of itself.

      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Ah, not to be cut off,

      Ah, not to be cut off,
      not through the slightest partition
      shut out from the law of the stars.
      The inner -- what is it?
      if not the intensified sky,
      hurled through with birds and deep
      with the winds of homecoming.

      By Rainer Maria Rilke
      (1875 - 1926)

      English version by Stephen Mitchell

      -- from Ahead of All Parting: The Selected Poetry and Prose of Rainer Maria Rilke, Translated by Stephen Mitchell

      Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      The Joy Hidden in Sorrow

      When Marpa, the great Tibetan meditation master and teacher of
      Milarepa, lost his son he wept bitterly. One of his pupils came up to
      him and asked: "Master, why are you weeping? You teach us that death
      is an illusion." And Marpa said: "Death is an illusion. And the death
      of a child is an even greater illusion."

      Marpa showed his disciple that while he could understand the truth
      about the conditioned nature of everything and the emptiness of
      forms, he could still be a human being. He could feel what he was
      feeling; he could open to his grief. He could be completely present
      to feel that loss.

      There is nothing incongruous about feeling our feelings, touching our
      pain, and, at the same time understanding the truth of the way things
      are. Pain is pain; grief is grief; loss is loss - we can accept those
      things. Suffering is what we add onto them when we push away, when we
      say, "No, I can't."

      ...So the difference between pain and suffering is the difference
      between freedom and bondage. If we're able to be with our pain, then
      we can accept, investigate and heal. But if it's not okay to grieve,
      to be angry, or to feel frightened or lonely then it's not okay to
      look at what we are feeling, and it's not okay to hold it in our
      hearts and to find our peace with it. When we can't feel what must be
      felt, when we resist or try to run from life, then we are enslaved.
      Where we cling is where we suffer, but when we simply feel the naked
      pain on its own, our suffering dies... That's the death we need to
      die.

      Through ignorance, not understanding who we are, we create so many
      prisons. We are unable to be awake, to feel true loving-kindness for
      ourselves, or even to love the person sitting next to us. If we can't
      open our hearts to the deepest wounds, if we can't cross the abyss
      the mind has created through its ignorance, selfishness, greed, and
      hatred, then we are incapable of loving, of realising our true
      potential. We remain unable to finish the business of this life.

      By taking responsibility for what we feel, taking responsibility for
      our actions and speech, we build the foundation of the path to
      freedom. We know the result that wholesome action brings - for
      ourselves and for others. When we speak or act in an unkind way -
      when we are dishonest, deceitful, critical or resentful - then we are
      the ones that really suffer. Somewhere within us, there is a residue
      of that posture of the mind, that attitude of the heart.

      In pain we burn but, with mindfulness, we use that pain to burn
      through to the ending of pain. It's not something negative. It is
      sublime. It is complete freedom from every kind of suffering that
      arises; because of a realisation - because of wisdom - not because we
      have rid ourselves of unpleasant experience, only holding on to the
      pleasant, the joyful. We still feel pain, we still get sick and we
      die, but we are no longer afraid, we no longer get shaken.

      When we are able to come face to face with our own direst fears and
      vulnerability, when we can step into the unknown with courage and
      openness, we touch near to the mysteries of this traverse through the
      human realm to an authentic self-fulfilment. We touch what we fear
      the most, we transform it, we see the emptiness of it. In that
      emptiness, all things can abide, all things come to fruition. In this
      very moment, we can free ourselves...

      Nibbana is not out there in the future; we have to let go of the
      future, let go of the past...Jelaluddin Rumi wrote: "The most secure
      place to hide a treasure of gold is some desolate, unnoticed place.
      Why would anyone hide treasure in plain sight? And so it is
      said: 'Joy is hidden in sorrow.'"

      The illumined master Marpa weeping over his child - does his
      experience of the loss of his young child diminish his wisdom? Or is
      it just the supreme humility of a great man, a great sage expressing
      the wholeness of his being, of his humanity.

      I want to encourage each one of you to keep investigating, keep
      letting go of your fear. Remember that fear of death is the same as
      fear of life. What are we afraid of? When we deeply feel and, at the
      same time, truly know that experience we can come to joy. It is still
      possible to live fully as a human being, completely accepting our
      pain; we can grieve and yet still rejoice at the way things are.

      - Ayya Medhanandi
      The Joy Hidden in Sorrow

      posted by Bob OHearn to unsaymyself