#2390 - Sunday, February 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2006
      #2390 - Sunday, February 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything.
      -- African  Proverb

              Be conscious of yourself, watch your mind, give
              it your full attention.  Don't look for quick results,
              there may be none within your noticing.  Unknown
              to you, your psyche will undergo a change, there will
               be more clarity in your thinking and feeling, purity
              in your behaviour.  You need not aim at these - you
              will witness the change all the same.

                                - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "I Am That"
      Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      posted to Along the Way

      The man in whom Tao acts without impediment
      Harms no other beings by his actions,
      Yet he does not know himself to be "kind," to be "gentle."
      The man in whom Tao acts without impediment
      Does not bother with his own interests
      And he does not despise others who do.
      He does not struggle to make money, and he does not make a virtue of
      poverty.
      He goes his way without relying on others
      And does not pride himself on walking alone.
      While he will not follow the crowd, he won't complain of those who
      do.
      Rank and reward make no appeal to him.
      Disgrace and shame do not deter him.
      He is not always looking for right and wrong, always deciding "yes"
      or "no."
      The ancients said, therefore:
      The man of Tao remains unknown
      Perfect virtue produces nothing
      "No-self" is "true-self"
      And the greatest man is nobody.

      (Chuang Tzu - translated by Thomas Merton)

      posted by Roy Whenary

      We say release, and radiance, and roses

      Rainer Maria Rilke

            We say release, and radiance, and roses,
            and echo upon everything that's known;
            and yet, behind the world our names enclose is
            the nameless: our true archetype and home.

            The sun seems male, and earth is like a woman,
            the field is humble, and the forest proud;
            but over everything we say, inhuman,
            moves the forever-undetermined god.

            We grow up; but the world remains a child.
            Star and flower, in silence, watch us go.
            And sometimes we appear to be the final
            exam they must succeed on. And they do

      From “Ahead of All Parting - The selected poetry and prose of Rainer Maria Rilke”.

      Through your great wisdom, you have realized nirvana.
      Through your great compassion, you willingly embrace samsara.
      Through your skill in methods you have realized they are no different.
      Peerless Teacher, at your feet I bow.

      - Paltrul Rinpoche

      'The Words of My Perfect Teacher' is one of the great Tibetan classics presenting the essential reflections basic for someone wishing to undertake the path to enlightenment. Written by Paltrul Rinpoche (1808-1887) who was famous for completely embodying what he taught, this book is considered to be particularly inspiring.

      Brilliance

      Maggie's taking care of a man
      who's dying; he's attended to everything,
      said goodbye to his parents,

      paid off his credit card.
      She says
      Why don't you just
      run it up to the limit?

      but he wants everything
      squared away, no balance owed,
      though he misses the pets

      he's already found a home for
      -- he can't be around dogs or cats,
      too much risk. He says,

      I can't have anything.
      She says,
      A bowl of goldfish?
      He says he doesn't want to start

      with anything and then describes
      the kind he'd maybe like,
      how their tails would fan

      to a gold flaring. They talk
      about hot jewel tones,
      gold lacquer, say maybe

      they'll go pick some out
      though he can't go much of anywhere and then
      abruptly he says
      I can't love

      anything I can't finish.
      He says it like he's had enough
      of the whole scintillant world,

      though what he means is
      he'll never be satisfied and therefore
      has established this discipline,

      a kind of severe rehearsal.
      That's where they leave it,
      him looking out the window,

      her knitting as she does because
      she needs to do something.
      Later he leaves a message:

      Yes to the bowl of goldfish.
      Meaning: let me go, if I have to,
      in brilliance. In a story I read,

      a Zen master who'd perfected
      his detachment from the things of the world
      remembered, at the moment of dying,

      a deer he used to feed in the park,
      and wondered who might care for it,
      and at that instant was reborn