Issue #2385 - Monday, February 6, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      Nondual Highlights
      Issue #2385 - Monday, February 6, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

              As regards the quietude of the sage, he is not
              quiet because quietness is said to be good.  He
              is quiet because the multitude of things cannot
              disturb his quietude.  When water is still, one's
              beard and eyebrows are reflected in it.  A skilled
              carpenter uses it in a level to obtain measurement.
              If still water is so clear, how much more are the
              mental faculties!  The mind of a sage is the mirror
              of heaven and earth in which all things are reflected.

                                     - Chuang-Tzu

      posted to Along the Way

      Tricycle's Daily Dharma: February 5, 2006

      Most people think of enlightenment as a kind of magical attainment, a state of being close to perfection. At this level, one can perform amazing feats, see past and future lives of others, and tune in to the inner workings of the universe. This may be possible for a number of special beings, but for most of us enlightenment is much more in line with what Suzuki Roshi describes. It means having a quality of "beginningness," a fresh, simple, unsophisticated view of things. To have "beginner's mind" in how we approach things is a major teaching. In many ways, the process of enlightenment is clearing away the thoughts, beliefs, and ideas that cloud our ability to see things as they really are in their pristine form. --David A. Cooper, Silence, Simplicity and Solitude

      Human Experience
      It's starting to feel less urgent that I sit down and do this writing, somehow.
      After all..what do I really have to say that's new?  What do I have to express
      about the human experience that hasn't been said?  Still, I suppose in a
      certain manner of speaking, this is my experience...and it's good for me to
      examine it.  Maybe it's not going anywhere...maybe there are no profound
      conclusions.  Maybe I find I am in the flow of life...somehow ancient...
      and timeless...that has been going on forever...and never...and only now.
      How does one prove a history?  Any history?  And yet so often our lives
      seem to be shaped by that.  Stories.  Eloquent...sad...brutal...beautiful...
      triumphant...joyous...miserable...sweetly woven...simple...grand...bitter...
      hopeful...stories.  Sometimes I think it's worth the living just to see what
      happens next.  I am certainly connected to it all in that way.  There's not a
      pain or an exquisite gratitude I could know that has not been known before.
      The only difference is the story behind it.  The stories bring us all to the
      same place...the core of the human experience.  We meet there.  All kinds
      of different conclusions are drawn about it...nevertheless, we are ultimately,
      inextricably connected by it.  My brother, my sister, knows my burden;  in a
      different way, perhaps, but he...or she...does know it.  Why else are we
      sometimes saddened by the ugliness we find we can perpetrate in the world?
      Why else do we find ourselves trying to be "better persons"?  I know how it
      feels when I am not.  I know what that creates.  I also know very well that it
      is not possible for me to avoid ever creating it.  Pain is probably created on a
      daily basis somehow...somewhere...from here...from me; try as I might to
      prevent it.  Powerless as I seem to be over that, I must be humbled.  I must
      give myself up to what I do now know.  I find myself continuously face to face
      with having to forgive Life for being what it is...and having to forgive myself
      for being what I am; my lack of empathy...my blindness...my lack of self
      control.  Again and again I find I must hold it in my heart, and bow my head,
      and bless it.  Life must be what it is.  I must be what I am.  Small steps.
      Small, conscious steps.  Change does happen.  Every step I take toward
      peace within myself...and peace with myself...the world must necessarily
      follow me; because where is the world, if not right here?

      posted by Aly to nondualnow

      "[...] where I come from when I promote or mention teachers.
      Who cares if they're fully realized sages, whatever that means.
      If they make us aware of something worth knowing about, that's
      an enormous contribution. Also, I have no problem with anyone
      criticizing someone I promote, but it should be done intelligently
      rather than with throwaway lines, as such criticism could also
      be an enormous contribution."

      "Our difficulty with this simple progression," he said, "is that most
      of us are unwilling to accept that we need so little to get on with.
      We are geared to expect instruction, teaching, guides, masters.  And
      when we are told that we need no one, we don't believe it.  We become
      nervous, then distrustful, and finally angry and disappointed.  If we
      need help, it is not in methods, but in emphasis.

      If someone makes us aware that we need to curtail our self-
      importance, that help is real."

      The Requirements of Intent
      Carlos Castaneda
      posted to many lists

      Change Your Attitude, but Remain Natural

      In order to have compassionate relationships, compassionate communication, and compassionate social action, there has to be a fundamental change in attitude. The notion "I am the helper and you are the one who needs help" might work in a temporary way, but fundamentally nothing changes because there's still one who has it and one who doesn't. That dualistic notion is not really speaking to the heart.

      We could begin to get the hang of changing our attitude on an everyday level; when things are delightful and wonderful we give our pleasure away on the outbreath, sharing it for others.

      When we work with pain by leaning into it and with pleasure by giving it away, it doesn't mean that we "Grin and bear it." This approach is a lot more playful than that - like dancing with it. We realize that this separateness we feel is a funny kind of mistake. We see that things were not dualistic from the start...

      From Start Where You Are : A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chodron, Copyright 1994, Shambhala Publications.

      is whatever comes along,
      practice always here while we
      keep on shore, all the time