#2379 - Monday, January 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      #2379 - Monday, January 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      The question is not
      what you look at
      but what you see.

           - Henry David Thoreau

      "What was it in the wilderness that gave peace and joy? What was it that
      came to us in the forest, the solitude? In either case it was nothing
      else but the depth of our own life, which is silent like the depths of
      the great sea, so silent and still...

      ...It is the surface of the sea that makes waves and roaring breakers;
      the depth is silent. So the depth of our own being is silent also. And
      this all-pervading, unbroken, inseparable, unlimited, ever-present,
      omnipotent silence unites with our silence like the meeting of flames."

      ~Hazrat Inayat Khan

      From the web page, "Silence."
      http://www.angelsinc.com/dgsangha/dgsSilence.htm

      Daily Dharma

      Even if the whole world is on fire,
      Be sure to pass through it to hear the Dharma;
      Then you will surely attain the Buddha's Enlightenment.
      And everywhere deliver beings from the river of birth-and-death.

      From Muryojugyo - The Sutra of Infinite Life

      Sollihogda

      Sol = sun
      li = hillside
      hogda = top

      see Alan Larus' montage of images at:

      January

      short days divide
      the way to wetlandpines

      each returning through

      the blue hour

      Split at softeningofshapes,
      take no notice run on past

      The magic moment loops

      into incredible
      beautiful
      crystal fields

       a dance in circles
      with the poundingheart

      below

      howling
      owl
      and
      everybrightstar

      poem and photos by Alan Larus

      Tricycle's Daily Dharma: January 25, 2006

      The Boat
      There's a Zen story in which a man is enjoying himself on a river at dusk. He sees another boat coming down the river toward him. At first it seems so nice to him that someone else is also enjoying the river on a nice summer evening. Then he realizes that the boat is coming right toward him, faster and faster. He begins to get upset and starts to yell, "Hey, hey watch out! For Pete's sake, turn aside!" But the boat just comes faster and faster, right toward him. By this time he's standing up in his boat, screaming and shaking his fist, and then the boat smashes right into him. He sees that it's an empty boat. This is the classic story of our whole life situation.
      --Pema Chodron, Start Where You Are

      This is from: 'Long Days Journey into Night' Eugene O'Neill

      I lay on the bowsprit, facing astern, with the water foaming
      into spume under me, the masts with every sail white in the
      moonlight, towering high above me. I became drunk with the
      beauty and singing rhythm of it , and for a moment I lost my-
      self - actually lost my life. I was set free! I dissolved in the
      sea, became white sails and flying spray, became beauty and
      rhythm, became moonlight and the ship and the high dim-starred
      sky! I belonged, without past or future, within peace and unity
      and a wild joy, within something greater than my own life, or the
      life of Man, to Life itself! To God, if you want to put it that way.

      And several other times in my life, when I was swimming far out,
      or lying alone on a beach, I have had the same experience. Become
      the sun, the hot sand, green seaweed anchored to a rock, swaying
      in the tide. Like a saint's vision of beatitude. Like the veil of things
      as they seem drawn back by an unseen hand. For a second you see -
      and seeing the secret, are the secret. For a second there is meaning!

      ----
      Gill
      www.allspirit.co.uk

      Allspirit

      Verbal Teachings

      All verbal teachings are just to cure diseases.
      Because diseases are not the same, the remedies
      are also different.  That is why it is sometimes
      said that there is Buddha, and sometimes it is
      said that there is no Buddha.

      True words are those which actually cure sickness;
      if the cure manages to heal, then all are true words.
      If they can't effectively cure sickness, all are false
      words.

      True words are false words when they give rise to
      views.  False words are true words when they cut off
      the delusions of sentient beings.  Because disease is
      unreal, there is only unreal medicine to cure it.

      Pai-chang (720-814)

      Allspirit

      And Alice picked up the little cake and on it  read, 'Be yourself.'
      How funny, Alice thought, what else could I be!
      -- Lewis  Carroll

      Morning Zen