#2378 - Sunday, January 29, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2006
      #2378 - Sunday, January 29, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      "Love the animals, love the plants, love everything.
      If you love everything, you will perceive the divine
      mystery in things.  Once you perceive it, you will
      begin to comprehend it better every day. And you
      will come at last to love the whole world with an
      all-embracing love."
      --Fyodor Dostoyevsky

      We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
      -- Rabindranath Tagore  Stray Birds

      "Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches,
      give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid
      and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate
      tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and
      indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing
      known or unknown, or to any man or number of men [sic] --
      go freely with powerful uneducated persons, and with the
      young, and with the mothers or families -- re-examine all
      you have been told in school or church or in any book, and
      dismiss whatever insults your own soul; and your very flesh
      shall be a great poem, and have the richest fluency, not
      only in its words, but in the silent lines of its lips and
      face, and between the lashes of your eyes, and in every
      motion and joint of your body.

      -- Walt Whitman
      from the 1855 Preface to Leaves of Grass

      "The foundation of all spiritual practice is love. That you practice,
      this well is my only request. Of course, to be able to do so in all
      situations will take time, but you should not lose courage. If we wish
      happiness for mankind, it is the only way."

      When the Ironbird Flies
      An Interview with His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
      Interview by Mike Hellbach. Translated by Sherpa Tulku.

      Tricycle's Daily Dharma: January 26, 2006

      An Ordinary Person
      A bodhisattva is an ordinary person who takes up a course in his or her life that moves in the direction of Buddha. You're a bodhisattva. I'm a bodhisattva; actually, anyone who directs their attention, their life, to practicing the way of life of a Buddha is a bodhisattva. --Kosho Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

      A Blessing

      Just off the Highway to Rochester, Minnesota
      Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
      And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
      Darken with kindness.
      They have come gladly out of the willows
      To welcome my friend and me.
      We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
      Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
      They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
      That we have come.
      They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
      There is no loneliness like theirs.
      At home once more,
      They begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
      I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
      For she has walked over to me
      And nuzzled my left hand.
      She is black and white,
      Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
      And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
      That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
      Suddenly I realize
      That if I stepped out of my body I would break
      Into blossom.

      ~ James Wright ~

      (Above the River)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html