Highlights ofTue/Jan25

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2000
      SARLO

      One way of obliterating the duality between the path and the
      goal is to treat the path as the goal. That is, i am on the path. The path
      is going nowhere, there is nowhere to go. I have arrived on the path. I
      celebrate being on the path, and i celebrate who i am at this moment on the
      path. There is nothing to do but be on the path. You seem to be walking
      beside me at the moment, also celebrating. So great! There's room enough
      for both of us. There's room for more if they want to join the party.

      _______________________

      XAN & LARRY & JAN K. on circles of the mind

      xan wrote: ~ Who said anything about analysis?
      Keeping vigil is keeping watch, seeing.
      Seeing the silent Self as Self
      Watching out for the mind's tendency to self-deception. Not being fooled
      through seeing clearly in oneself any motive to perpetuate ideas/lies.

      Larry: if seeing is allowing, permitting, letting be, then mind's
      tendencies aren't reacted to. There's no convincing or being fooled.
      Correct?

      Xan ~ In vigilance everything is just seen, including assumptions
      about what will or will not be, mind's tendencies, reactions

      Jan K. aka Dutch
      > There are many circles and there is no way out. We can observe all these
      > circles, so, these circles are just parts of us. We are not part of the
      > circles. Wanting to get out is based on the thought that we are in some
      > kind of circle. There is no way out, because we were never in the
      > circle, we just thought we were. What do I mean when I say 'we'?
      > Nothing. Could 've used the words 'I', 'You', etc. Makes no difference,
      > but in words. Call it Love, God, Parabrahman, Awareness...
      >
      > Larry: This is a circle too. All understanding is a circle. No circle is
      > no understanding. Who wants that???

      Jan K: Let the circles be there. And know you are watching them. That's true
      understanding.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      From: "Jan Koehoorn"

      I'd like to offer a piece of text from Alexander Smit to the list.
      He was a student of the honourable Shri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      and gave satsangs in the Netherlands for 12 years.

      Alexander:
      Most spiritual 'searchers' have a conflict.
      The conflict expresses itself through the idea
      that they have to do it all by themselves,
      that no help is to be expected from the 'outside',
      which implies that a teacher is not needed.

      There is another group, just as big, that is convinced
      that you do need a master, that you can't do it without a guru.
      Both comparisons are faulty, because the truth never lies in the middle,
      the truth is paradoxical.

      snip
      The one that can put an end to that conflict is a true master.
      Someone who is free from ideas like 'guru' or 'non-guru'.
      Someone who can be a guru at one moment,
      and a 'non-guru' at another moment.
      Someone who can demonstrate a great flexibility.
      When you think a guru is needed, and the teacher says:
      'No guru is needed', there will be conflict.
      And when, a month later, you think:
      'All this shit with gurus, all that spiritual hocus-pocus,
      I quit, it's all useless', there will be conflict too,
      because then the other side shows up.

      Because both sides are true!
      Existence is more than adding up all parts.
      When you don't try to fight the conflict anymore,
      when you don't try to avoid it any longer,
      you're on unknown grounds, from where you know, deep down,
      that a teacher is a means to realize what you already are.
      Then you know: "This is the one to show me that I don't need anyone."

      But when in conflict, or in doubt, you lean over to the other side,
      and you feel that you have to make a choice again.
      This feeling of having to make a choice is rooted very deep,
      because you know very well that sometimes one thing is true
      sometimes another thing is true.
      We know that it's relative, that it's not absolute.
      Making one thing absolute, always evokes the other side, which means conflict.

      Therefore, a good teacher constantly contradicts himself.
      At least, so it seems to you, when you think one side of the story is true.
      And when you think like that, and you hear the opposite, you think:
      "So that's not true" and you're in doubt again.
      And that can go on and on.

      from the Dutch book: Het Onmiddelijke Zien (The Immediate Seeing)

      _____________________________

      From: andrew macnab

      In a way, awareness is analogous to bandwidth and processor speed.
      The personal computer between the ears is connected through the senses with
      connections of practically infinite capacity and can operate at practically
      infinite processor speeds. However, it oftens runs much more slowly because of
      inefficient buggy programming and clogged up memory.
      When it runs at full design capacity, the bandwidth and processor speed are
      so great that it no longer need function as a separate unit but is instead only
      a local node in an infinite interconnected web.

      ....the computer analogy is pretty bad. I got carried away. The germ of the idea
      was
      bandwidth. People live day to day as if with a restricted bandwidth. Awakening
      is like
      suddenly having the bandwidth expand to infinity. With infinite bandwidth there
      is no
      sense of separation between self and other.

      __________________________

      PETROS & DAN

      P: Recognizing an 'enlightened' person? (I prefer the term 'awakened,' fwiw.)
      I guess the biggest sensation I get from being in such a one's presence is
      that that person is not separate from my truest self. There is a sensation
      that one sometimes gets in dreams, when you see a person in the dream and
      yet there is this background awareness (not articulated) that that 'person'
      is really just one of your own alter-egos. That's kind of what it feels
      like.

      > From: "Dan Berkow, PhD"
      > By the way, a useful question here is:
      > What exactly is an "enlightened" person? How would you know one
      > if you met one?
      > How do you know you are not meeting yourself when you meet an
      > "enlightened" one? What are you seeing other than your own awareness
      > projected and idealized?

      P:That is indeed exactly what one is seeing, you are right on the money.
      snip
      A related feeling that I have around such ones is the sense that what they
      are expressing outwardly is nothing but a mirroring of my own reactions to
      them, or a projection of my own reactions back to me. I know that in some
      psychological and hypnotic methodologies (such as NLP), 'mirroring' is a
      deliberate technique used to influence and persuade people. But in the case
      of these people, there is no sense that they are doing it deliberately for
      ulterior motives. It feels spontaneous and natural.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      more DAN
      >Larry: Dan, would you expand on this? What is nondwelling awareness and
      what is the nature of learning in that awareness?

      Dan: Nondwelling awareness is directly mentioned in many Buddhist texts,
      and interestingly seems referred to by Jesus when he said, "the foxes
      have their dens, birds have their nests, but the Son of Adam has no
      place to rest his head." I see nondwelling awareness as exactly the
      "rebirth" that Jesus described in his expression. The tendency of
      awareness is to identify with and in "something". Somethings appear in
      awareness, and awareness tends to get caught in the appearance.
      Particularly, awareness believes it dwells in the human body. Once
      "positioned", awareness experiences the pull of things it wants, the
      fear of trying to avoid or escape things (or sensations or thoughts)
      that it doesn't want, etc. The tension of this situation leads awareness
      to deeply question its situation. Many proposed "solutions" may occur
      (more and better "things" to have, "enlightenment" to get, beautiful
      people to relate to, drugs and alcohol to numb or enhance the
      senses, etc.). If no solution is accepted, awareness eventually confronts
      the untenability of any position. At this instant (of impasse, of
      no tenable position), there is a "shift" or "release" - awareness
      suddenly has no dwelling place. It is not in things, and things
      are not in it. The infinite appearance of things is seen as nothing
      other than awareness itself. There literally is no dwelling place,
      no position for awareness. Awareness is not fighting against attachments,
      there literally can be no such thing as attachment, as there is
      nothing there to attach to. Deception (of sensory
      awareness/perception/cognition/emotional reactivity) is seen through.
      Is this the end of any work for awareness? No. It is an insight
      opening endlessly. The full energy of awareness is required every
      moment (and there is only one moment). This endless deepening of
      intensity and extensivity of That which is endless and beginningless is
      the reason for the Bodhisattva Vow, at least as understood here.
      Because the relative and absolute are not apart from each other, and
      are not two, we can say there is endless deepening with no beginning
      or end. Nondwelling awareness, having no place to be, no situation
      to call home, only can endlessly "flow into itself" as it always
      has and always will. Remarkable that I am sitting here typing this,
      looking out the window at beautiful snow-covered trees, as awareness
      "circulates" infinitely.
      Love, Dan
      ___________________

      JAN B

      Regarding Self-realization, the idea that something is an attachment is
      just as conditioning as the idea that something is a requirement.

      ____________________

      XAN

      Much later someone asked Ramana about his
      vow of silence for so many years. Ramana said
      "I took no vow. I just didn't have anything to say."

      ________________

      OLD HAG shares quotes

      Thomas Merton:

      "The Absolute Ground of Being (and beyond that the Godhead as infinite
      uncircumscribed freedom) is realized so to speak 'from within' - though
      'myself' is now lost and 'found' in Him. These metaphorical expressions
      all point to the problem we have in mind: the problem of a self that is
      'no-self,' that is by no means an 'alienated self' but on the contrary,
      a transcendent Self which, to clarify it in Christian terms, is
      metaphysically distinct from the Self of God and yet perfectly
      identified with that Self by love and freedom, so that there appears to
      be but one Self.

      Experience of this is what we here call the illumination of wisdom.

      To attain this experience is to penetrate the reality of all that is, to
      grasp the meaning of one's own existence, to find one's true place in
      the scheme of things, to relate perfectly to all that is in a relation
      of identity and love."

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      The quote in signature box [ "While alive be dead,
      Thoroughly dead...All is good then, Whatever you may do." Bunan]

      is from The Enlightened Heart, edited by
      Stephen Mitchell (he visited this list once when he was first
      commissioned to write the book; got lots of his quotes from nds posters;
      Bunan was passing through at the time, started up a discussion about
      whether competition still existed after death, got bored with everyone's
      first hand experiences, so left...but i digress ,^)))

      Mitchell says Bunan was a Japanese Zen Master (1603-1676) worked as a
      gatekeeper until his forties.

      Here are a couple other quotes from that fine book:

      "God, whose love and joy
      are present everywhere,
      can't come to visit you
      unless you aren't there."