#2367 - Monday, January 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006
      Nondual Highlights
      #2367 - Monday, January 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      UNION OF EMPTINESS AND COMPASSION

      "In the moment of love, when the vibrant power of intense compassion is
      uncontained, the empty essence shines forth nakedly. May I never step
      off this supreme path of unity that never goes awry, and practice it at
      all times, day and night."

      -- Karmapa Rangjung Dorje

      From the book, "Mahamudra, Teachings of The Supreme Siddhas,"

      posted to Daily Dharma

      If we pick up the handle, we pick up the pot.
      Similarly, if we meditate on and develop compassion—the wish that all others
      be without suffering—we hold within us the essence of all other Dharma practices.

      -- Geshe Hgawang Dhargyey, "Advice From a Spiritual Friend"
      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001.
      Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok

      Tricycle's Daily Dharma: January 12, 2006

      Take the One Seat
      When we take the one seat on our meditation cushion we become our own monastery. We create the compassionate space that allows for the arising of all things: sorrows, loneliness, shame, desire, regret, frustration, happiness. Spiritual transformation is a profound process that doesn't happen by accident. We need a repeated discipline, a genuine training, in order to let go of our old habits of mind and to find and sustain a new way of seeing. To mature on the spiritual path we need to commit ourselves in a systematic way. My teacher Achaan Chah described this commitment as "taking the one seat." He said, "Just go into the room and put one chair in the center. Take the seat in the center of the room, open the doors and the windows and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it all arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." --Jack Kornfield, A Path with Heart

      Like training, satori must be true. If one holds that there is something to practice and realize, one is a follower of the false religion of entity based on affirmation. If, on the other hand, one asserts that there is nothing to practice or realize, one is still not above the four types of differentiation and the one hundred forms of negation: one is an adherent of the equally false religion of nothingness, founded on negation. And this is the shadowy product of the dichotomous intellect, holding no truth.

      --Manzan Dohaku

      source: http://www.dharma-rain.org/zazen/zenancestors.html

      posted by Ben Hassine

      Thank you for your post, Avril. You say:

      "There is nothing which is not an expression of that-which-is. There
      is no actioning, which is not an expression of that-which-is. There
      is no consequences of that actioning,which is not an expression of
      that-which-is. Each and every character, both the "demons" and
      the "angels", the "heros" and the "villans", the "saints" and
      the "sinners" in your last night sleep-dream, is just you, you as
      expressed as so. Each and every eventings, each and every nuance of
      the ado of the last night-sleep-dream drama, both the sublime and
      the ridiculous, both the profound and the profane, both the good and
      the evil, constituting your last night-sleep dream, is just you, as
      your infinite expressionings".

      Roy Whenary replies:
      It is true that there is nothing which is not an expression of that
      which is ... everything is as it is because that is the way it is -
      quite simple really. However, to say that the demons, the good and
      the bad, etc are you, I feel is wandering off the mark really. This
      view is often used by so called non-dualists to explain away their
      immature behaviour and inability to deal with the real issues in
      their lives. So they say that "my anger is what I am, here and now,
      so I must not deny it", etc, etc ... when in reality they mean that
      they have not looked deep enough to see where and how it arises.
      These demons are not you ... they are what you accept and think you
      are, they are what you identify with and believe are the true
      expressions of your individuated existence ... 'your' story. What
      lies beyond this? What is the true ground of your Being? I am not
      talking about ideas here ... my true Being does not lie in the
      details of this 'person' through which this is being written now.
      However, I would stop short of actually spelling out exactly where
      it lies, because words really cannot go there. If I have
      misunderstood the meaning behind what you wrote ... apologies!

      I would also like to add that ... yes, things are as they are ... of
      this there is no denying. But acceptance and action towards changing
      situations can quite happily work together. I accept things exactly
      as they are .... but, for human life, I don't condone living in a
      violent and abusive society, so maybe I work towards changing it ...
      all the while accepting that it is as it is right now. This is
      normal, and this is also what is ... because 'what is' does not deny
      the impetus for change. Thus was born 'Engaged Buddhism' and now
      perhaps is the time for 'Engaged Advaita'?

      with warm regards
      Roy Whenary

      **********
      Avril:
      Is there a one who awakens?

      Can there be an inappropriate way of responding?

      Within a phenomenal context, there is eventing(s), in which notionally, there appears to be a cause and a separate to that cause, a consequential effect.

      But is there any linear cause-effect continuum, within the phenomenal context?

      Or is every cause the effect of every other causes and every effect the result of all effects,thereby indicating a holographic wholeness as the essence of the phenomenal context?

      If the phenomenal context is a holographic whole, complete, as the moment,

      moment to moment to moment,

      is there any one awakened, in contrast to any one un-awakened?

      As a holographic whole, is there anything as inappropriate, such that there can be something as an appropriate responding?

      *********

      Dear Avril,
      If there is no differentiation between what is real and what is
      imagined in the mind ... if everything is homogenised into one vast
      and meaningless whole ... anything goes, any action is OK ... any
      thought or behaviour pattern is fine, no matter how much pain and
      sorrow it arouses in either subject or objects surrounding it.
      According to this view ... which I would say is cut off from truly
      feeling life in the present ... in the presence ... none of the
      subjects, objects or pain exist anyway. Life is meaningless,
      according to this view, as there is no differentiation between
      existing and not existing.

      So what is the point of discussion, if there is always escape into
      this non-differentiation? I have come across this view a lot in
      recent times. There are certain 'teachers' who promote it heavily.
      It is quite convenient, because there is never any need to take
      responsibility for actions ... never any need to look any closer at
      what is really going on ... and ultimately, no point at looking at
      anything anyway. After all, who is looking? ... the seer and the
      seen are one. Therefore, there is nothing that can be done in this
      life, and no point attempting to do it ... and, of course, no one
      here anyway to do it. This is it, exactly as it is ... nothing else
      to say ...

      sweet dreams!
      Roy

      Psalms 15

      Lord, who can be trusted with power,
      and who may act in your place?
      Those with a passion for justice,
      who speak the truth from their hearts;
      who have let go of selfish interests
      and grown beyond their own lives;
      who see the wretched as their family
      and the poor as their flesh and blood.
      They alone are impartial
      and worthy of the people's trust.
      Their compassion lights up the whole earth,
      and their kindness endures forever.

      (A Book of Psalms, translations by Stephen Mitchell)