#2357 - Wednesday, January 4, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2357, Wednesday, January 4, 2006

      The fundamental point is that if you do not have the capacity to love yourself, then there is simply no basis on which to build a sense of caring toward others.

      Love for yourself does not mean that you are indebted to yourself. Rather, the capacity to love oneself or be kind to oneself should be based on a very fundamental fact of human existence: that we all have a natural tendency to desire happiness and avoid suffering.

      Once this basis exists in relation to oneself, one can extend it to other sentient beings...

      The second consideration is as follows: through analysis and contemplation you will come to see that much of our misery, suffering, and pain really result from a self-centered attitude that cherishes one's own well-being at the expense of others, whereas much of the joy, happiness, and sense of security in our lives arise from thoughts and emotions that cherish the well-being of other sentient beings.

      Contrasting these two forms of thought and emotion convinces us of the need to regard other's well-being as precious.

      - H.H. The Dalai Lama, posted to DailyDharma

      The love that any two beings share is the love of Self for Self. Keep away all notions and intentions and you are meeting all beings in this love. This is Self meeting Self. All attraction is for the Self only, though appearances are deceiving.

      - Papaji, from The Truth Is, posted to AlongTheWay

      The Heart is the only Reality.

      The mind is only a transient phase,
      To remain as one's Self is to enter the Heart.

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi. posted to MillionPaths

      One who secures completely
      the Supreme Knowledge

      Can hardly be deceived
      by the outwardly perceptible
      forms and shapes.

      When one deeply considers
      the matter, one finds that ...

      A piece of cloth is nothing
      but a wide expanse of threads
      woven into each other.

      In the same way he sees nothing
      but the Supreme Spirit
      pervading the universe.

      He alone is someone who enjoys
      equipoised vision
      and attains a 'total experience.'

      'Equanimity of intellect'
      is not anything different from this.

      He who becomes the very essence
      of sacred waters ...

      Whose visible form, spells reverence,
      and whose contact bestows

      The highest realization
      of the SELF,

      Even on the benighted soul
      lost in ignorance

      And whose very word
      is the fountain of Spirit

      And from whose vision
      are born...marvellous powers,

      And to whom heavenly bliss
      and all else are mere toys -

      The very remembrance in mind
      of such a 'perfect one'

      Transforms the being of the seeker
      into the figure and spirit of the divine ...

      Not only this,
      singing praise is good for the singer

      And also secures for him
      'connectedness' to Spirit.

      - from the Bhagavad Gita, posted to Poetic_Mysticism