#2344 - Saturdau. December 17, 2005

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2344 Saturday, December 17, 2005

      I searched for my Self
      until I grew weary,

      but no one, I know now,
      reaches the hidden knowledge
      by means of effort.

      Then, absorbed in `Thou art This,'
      I found the place of Wine.

      There all the jars are filled,
      but no one is left to drink.

      - Lal Ded, from the book, Women in Praise of the Sacred,, posted to DailyDharma

      .

      If you would know
      where the river begins,
      ask it.
      But,
      be prepared
      to listen
      very carefully.

      - Mace Mealer, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      The Summer Day

      Who made the world?
      Who made the swan, and the black bear?
      Who made the grasshopper?
      This grasshopper, I mean--
      the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
      the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
      who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down--
      who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
      Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
      Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
      I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
      I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
      into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
      how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
      which is what I have been doing all day.
      Tell me, what else should I have done?
      Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
      Tell me, what is it you plan to do
      with your one wild and precious life?

      - Mary Oliver

      Are you looking for me?
      Are you looking for me? I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours.
      you will not find me in the stupas, not in Indian shrine
      rooms, nor in synagogues, nor in cathedrals:
      not in masses, nor kirtans, not in legs winding
      around your own neck, nor in eating nothing but
      vegetables
      . When you really look for me, you will see me
      instantly --
      you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
      Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
      He is the breath inside the breath.

      - Kabir

      If you thus reject everything, what remains is the Self alone. That is real love. One who knows the secret of that love finds the world itself full of universal love.

      - Ramana Maharshi from Be As You Are - The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi