#2339 - Sunday, December 11, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2005
      #2339 - Sunday, December 11, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      My son has taken up meditation - at least it's better than
      sitting doing nothing.
      -- Max Kauffmann

      In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!'
      And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see
      it a whole lot better.
      --  Ellen DeGeneres

      Humor takes you from a state of constricted consciousness into a more expanded state of mind.
      -- the Baal Shem Tov, in The Light and Fire of the Baal Shem Tov

      16th February, 1937

       A visitor remarks that it is cruel of God’s leela to make

      the knowledge of the Self so hard.

      Bhagavan. (laughing) -

      Knowing the Self is being the Self, and being

      means existence – one’s own existence, which no one
      denies, any more than one denies one’s eyes, although
      one cannot see them. The trouble lies with your desire
      to objectify the Self, in the same way as you objectify
      your eyes when you place a mirror before them. You have
      been so accustomed to objectivity that you lost the
      knowledge of yourself, simply because the Self cannot
      be objectified. Who is to know the self? Can the
      insentient body know it? All the time you speak and
      think of your ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’, yet when questioned you deny
      knowledge of it. You are the Self, yet you ask how to
      know the Self. Where then is God’s leela and where its
      cruelty? It is because of this denial of the Self by people
      that the Shastras speak of maya, leela, etc.

       Guru Ramana - Memories & Notes,  S.S. Cohen

      Posted to The Power Of Silence

      Life does not accommodate you; it shatters you. Every seed destroys its
      container, or else there would be no fruition.

      -- Florida Scott-Maxwell

      posted by Myra to nondualnow

             Basic truth is
             non-denominational
             non-dogmatic
             universal.
             When you go to the core
             of the Principle
             we all are One.

             Once you
             realize
             the Absolute,
             relativity
             is just your
             playing cards.

                           - Swami Amar Jyoti

      posted to Along the Way

      Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
      -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

      How to Make Our Lives An Embodiment of Wisdom and Compassion

      How to make our lives an embodiment of wisdom and compassion is the greatest challenge spiritual seekers face. The truths we have come to understand need to find their visible expression in our lives. Our every thought, word, or action holds the possibility of being a living expression of clarity and love. It is not enough to be a possessor of wisdom. To believe ourselves to be custodians of truth is to become its opposite, is a direct path to becoming stale, self-righteous, or rigid. Ideas and memories do not hold liberating or healing power. There is no such state as enlightened retirement, where we can live on the bounty of past attainments. Wisdom is alive only as long as it is lived, understanding is liberating only as long as it is applied. A bulging portfolio of spiritual experiences matters little if it does not have the power to sustain us through the inevitable moments of grief, loss, and change. Knowledge and achievements matter little if we do not yet know how to touch the heart of another and be touched.

      --Christina Feldman and Jack Kornfield, Stories of the Spirit, Stories of the Heart

      To see God everywhere you have to have special eyes, otherwise you cannot bear the shock.

      -Neem Karoli Baba

      from "The Wisdom of the Hindu Gurus," edited by Timothy Freke

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Praise Them

      By Li-Young Lee
      (1957 - )

      The birds don't alter space.
      They reveal it. The sky
      never fills with any
      leftover flying. They leave
      nothing to trace. It is our own
      astonishment collects
      in chill air. Be glad.
      They equal their due
      moment never begging,
      and enter ours
      without parting day. See
      how three birds in a winter tree
      make the tree barer.
      Two fly away, and new rooms
      open in December.
      Give up what you guessed
      about a whirring heart, the little
      beaks and claws, their constant hunger.
      We're the nervous ones.
      If even one of our violent number
      could be gentle
      long enough that one of them
      found it safe inside
      our finally untroubled and untroubling gaze,
      who wouldn't hear
      what singing completes us?