#2338 - Saturday, December 10, 2005

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2338 Saturday, December 10, 2005

      When the energy of love is strong in us, we can send it to beings in all directions. But we must not think that love meditation is only an act of imagination--we imagine our love as being like waves of sound or light, or like a pure, white cloud that forms slowly and gradually spreads out to envelope the whole world. A true cloud produces rain. Sound and light penetrate everywhere, and our love must do the same. We have to observe whether our mind of love is present in our actual contact with others. Practicing love meditation in the sitting position is only the beginning.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, from the book,Teachings On Love, published by Parallax Press.

      Satsang
      October 23, 2005

      Om Om Om

      (Silence)

      N.: The Reality of the Self ever alone is. The real cannot be made more so. This has been clearly taught by Sri Bhagavan. The real cannot be made more real, and therefore, Self-Realization is not new attainment. The Real can no more be made to be more real than your existence can be made more existent. It is not possible.

      If the misidentification, which is purely ignorance, with what is not the Self is abandoned, the Reality of the Self which alone is shines brilliantly in its own Light. Therefore, efforts in sadhana, or spiritual practice, inquiring to find out who you are, are directed merely at dissolving misidentification. If the misidentification with the body, the mind, and the sense of being an individual entity, or ego, is abandoned, everything is already accomplished.

      Every kind of imagined limitation, and every limitation is only imagined, has it roots and for its very substance, some misidentification; some conception of oneself as an individual or ego, endowed with some kind of form, which is usually the body. Ask, though, yourself deeply if you are the body or if you can be a body, and, if you inquire in such a manner, all the limitations associated with being a body vanish, just as the misidentification itself does.

      Similar is it with the mind. Can you possibly be what you think, whatever the thought is? It is imperative to be free from thought. Can you be a thought? Where is the connection between your Existence, which is of the nature of pure Consciousness, and some thought?

      What is it that seems to define an individual that is carved out, as it were, from the space-like infinite Consciousness, our real Being? What is it that makes for individuality? It cannot be thought and the body, for these are appended to this so-called individual as if they were clothing or sheaths wrapping it up. What marks off the individual called "I"? Inquiring, "Who am I?", seeing where this "I" rises, or from what, is the inquiry according to Sri Bhagavan. Turning your mind inward, examine keenly, what is it that is "I".

      (Silence)

      For Being itself, there is no appearance of ignorance and no disappearance of ignorance, For Being itself, which is the Reality, there is no birth of the unreality and no perishing or death of the unreality. With and for the individual is the illusion, the unreal. If you inquire and know yourself, at once and for all eternity, you see That which alone exists. Nothing has divided the forever- indivisible. The Nondual is purely nondual. Nothing has broken off from it, to be outside of it or divided within it. It is not correct to think that you are separate from it in any degree. It is not correct to even think, "That is a part of me," as if it were the most interior part. Though it is proclaimed to be your inner Existence, you must realize the Truth that you have no outer existence; that is, no other existence than pure Existence, which is Brahman. It is the only Self and the only thing that exists.

      As it is the only thing that exists; in This, is full peace. In This, is perfect Bliss. This Being-Consciousness-Bliss is unborn and imperishable. It never changes. Perceive this changeless Existence, by virtue of inquiry, to be the only Existence that you are. If you see what you are, you see what is. If you misperceive what you are and take yourself to be an individual, there is something else also that is. Where there is a self, there is something other. Where there is an individual, there is differentiation. In the Knowledge of yourself, realize that there is no individual just pure Being, and then there is nothing else, and there is no differentiation.

      (Silence)

      If you inquire into the nature of the one who seems as if a bound individual, you will find only bondage-free Being, and this called Liberation or Self-Realization.

      So, then, know yourself.

      - Nome, posted to MillionPaths

      everywhere
      the aroma of God
      begins to arrive

      look at these people
      not knowing their feet from head
      as they begin to arrive

      every soul is seeking His soul
      every soul parched with thirst
      they've all heard the voice
      of the quencher of thirst

      everyone tastes the love
      everyone tastes the milk
      anxious to know
      from where the real mother
      begins to arrive

      waiting in fever
      wondering ceaselessly
      when will that final union
      begin to arrive

      Moslems and Christians and Jews
      raising their hands to the sky
      their chanting voice in unison
      begin to arrive
      how happy is the one
      whose heart's ear
      hears that special voice
      as it begins to arrive

      clear your ears my friend
      from all impurity
      a polluted ear
      can never hear the sound
      as it begins to arrive

      if your eyes are marred
      with petty visions
      wash them with tears
      your teardrops are healers
      as they begin to arrive

      keep silence
      don't rush to finish your poem
      the finisher of the poem
      the creator of the word
      will begin to arrive

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 837, translation by Nader Khalili, Rumi, Fountain of Fire, Cal-Earth Press, 1995, posted to Sunlight

      It's that
      There's nothing that you do.
      There's nothing that you don't do.

      It's that
      It's all there right in front of you.

      Nothing is moved away from.
      Nothing is moved toward.

      Nothing arising is resisted.
      Anything arising is beheld with full intensity.

      Such is the moving with grace through
      the fire of living.

      - Bill Rishel, posted to AdvaitaToZen