#2336 - Thursday, December 8, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
       #2336 - Thursday, December 8, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      We welcome your letters, original submissions, book/movie/music reviews, news of websites and blogs. Send the info in a reply to this email.

      Some poetry by Bob Knab and announcement of a retreat with Bernadette Roberts.

      WAYFARRER ********

      This poetry page is dedicated to all wayfarrers, wanders and, those without ecomonic value whom are seen at street corners asking for money and on rainey days under the eves of buildings, sometimes drinking wine.

      MY POEMS CAN BE COPIED AND DISTRUBITED BUT NOT TOBE SOLD

      ***COPYRITED***

      This page is brought to you by Bob Knab of Granville. Tn. 38564 U.S.A.

      http://www.geocities.com/bob_knab/index.html

      Called
      to the still*

      Called
      to the quiet*

      By a
      unknown thought*

      To a
      unknown place*

      By a
      unknown heart*

      To a
      unknown mystery*

      ~ ~ ~

      It
      Is
      Mystery

      Winter
      and
      Spring

      The fragmentation
      of
      Bread

      The unity
      of
      Wine

      Celebration
      of
      Life

      ~ ~ ~

      By learning
      to clean the floor
      we learn
      to clean the body*

      By learning
      to clean the body
      we learn
      to clean the mind*

      By learning
      to clean mind
      we learn
      to become mindful*

      By becoming
      mindful
      we realize
      enlightment*

      All
      by learning
      to clean
      the floor*

      ~ ~ ~

      Baby
      Knows how
      To get pregnant

      Boogie
      Knows how
      To perfume him self
      Rolling
      In rotten skunks

      Yet

      Woogie
      Knows how
      To observe conditions
      Without making distinctions

      It is
      The unformed mind
      We call
      God

      ~ ~ ~

        hello
      hello

      are you there
          are you there

      an echo

      a name
      calling
      it's name

      void
      Speaking to
      void

      voice
      older then
      god

      ~ ~ ~

      Oh
      Beautiful chaos
      How insane
      Thy
      Loving mystery

      Yes mam

      I'll
      Have some
      Potatoes
      With my
      Eggplant

      Thank
      Men

      ~ ~ ~

      There was this fuzzy
      Little, funny worm
      I watched one day
      Turn and squirm
      As if bitten by some
      Carnivorous germ

      It was then I decided
      To do my tribal dance
      And
      Place my worm friend
      In a trance

      I proceeded to
      Shout
      Stomp
      and
      Prance

      OOPS

      ~ ~ ~

      She
      there
      in her
      naked softness standing

      for my pleasure
      yet
      for her pleasure also

      twice her age
      she
      half of me

      pleasure
      not old

      pleasure
      not young

      pleasure
      just
      as
      it
      is

      The Essence of Christian Mysticism

      A Retreat with

      Bernadette Roberts

      You are invited to attend a weekend retreat on "The Essence of Christian Mysticism" with Bernadette Roberts, May 5-7, 2006 in Loveland, Ohio (http://www.keithops.us/brretreat.htm). Bernadette Roberts is one of the most remarkable contemplatives of our time or any time, and the author of three extraordinary books on the Christian contemplative journey: The Experience of No-Self (1982), The Path to No-Self (1985), and What Is Self? (1989).

      Roberts was a cloistered Carmelite nun for nine years, and returned to the world after experiencing the "unitive state," the state of oneness with God, in order to share what she had learned and take on the problems and experience of others. In the years that followed she completed a graduate degree in education, married, raised four children, and taught at the pre-school, high school, and junior college levels; at the same time she continued her contemplative practice.

      Then, quite unexpectedly, some 20 years after leaving the convent, Roberts experienced the dropping away of the unitive state itself and come upon what she calls "the experience of no-self" – an experience for which the Christian literature, she says, gave her no clear road maps or guideposts. Her books, which combine fascinating chronicles of her own experiences with detailed maps of the contemplative terrain, are her attempt to provide such guideposts for those who might follow after her.

      Bernadette says that although emotional and spiritual maturity are often separate processes, the "unitive state," far from being reserved for extraordinary mystics, is rather the place where we are all meant to live our mature years as human beings. The state of no-self which lies beyond this union opens onto the Godhead, where the inner life of the Trinity, Christ in the Eucharist, and the Resurrection of the body are uniquely revealed as stunning truths that cannot be directly grasped as long as the transient ego and the phenomenal self continue to exist.

      Bernadette, now 74 and living in Santa Monica, California, has agreed at our request to come to the Cincinnati area this May, the first time she has ever given a retreat in the East. This is a rare opportunity and we hope you can come. Registration is limited and spaces are starting to fill.

      For more information and registration form, go to www.keithops.us/brretreat.htm. Note that problems with the web page that prevented it from being viewed properly in some browsers have been corrected.

      What others say about Bernadette Roberts

      “One of the best books on this subject since St. John of the Cross.”
      ~ Fr. Thomas Keating, Cistercian monk, former abbot of St. Joseph’s Abbey, Massachusetts, on the cover of The Experience of No-Self by Bernadette Roberts

      “How many Westerners have prematurely discarded Christianity only to immaturely embrace Buddhism? ... As a child, I had intimations of a great truth in Christianity; later, reading mystics like Eckhart seemed like returning home. But, due to my own stubbornness and stupidity, it was only over the last few years that I have been blessed to see how the Christian path really is a full and final one. Nothing lacking; complete in and of itself. And it is largely thanks to the work of Bernadette Roberts.”
      ~ Jeff Shore, Lay Zen man and Professor of International Zen, Hanazono University, Kyoto, Japan

      “Bernadette Roberts’ writings are illuminated texts—illuminating texts. Her descriptions of the no-ego, marketplace, and no-self experiences (if the last can be called experience) shed light on the earlier writings of St. John of the Cross, Meister Eckhart, St. Teresa of Avila, etc., as no other. There is light for Hui-neng and the Zen sages too ... no more koans. By this same light, despite important differences, one can readily see an abiding bond of kinship between mature contemplatives of every tradition, every place, and every time.”
      ~ Br. m. Aelred O.C.S.O., former Trappist monk, Abbey of Gethsemani, Kentucky