#2335 - Sunday, November 27, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2005

      Nondual Highlights

      #2335 - Sunday, November 27, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "When we practice generosity, we become intimate with our grasping."
      - Pema Chodron

      At the end of the talk someone from the audience asked the  Dalai Lama: "Why
      didn't you fight back against the Chinese?" The Dalai Lama  looked down, swung
      his feet just a bit, then looked back up at us and said with a gentle smile,
      "Well, war is obsolete, you know."  Then, after a few  moments, his face
      grave, he said, "Of course the mind can rationalize fighting  back ... but the
      heart, the heart would never understand. Then you  would be divided in yourself,
      the heart and the mind, and the war would be  inside you."

      "The true answer to the question, the real solution
       to the problem, is sacred and cannot be touched by
       thought. It is not recognizable by thought, nor can
       it be utilized by thought, which will be dissatisfied
       with it, feel it is not "specific" enough, not giving
       a clear and decisive action to be taken for or against,
       to accept or to change something.

       To go beyond the machinery of thought and its demands
       and anxieties is thus the only answer possible."

       Krishnamurti
      .
      posted to ordinarymind

      Truth is nothing special!

      Meet yourself! Relax into What Is. Surrender to Reality. Let go of the mind. Be the Truth! Truth is nothing special. That is why, the mind does not want it. In Zen they say that 'nothing is better than nothing.' Surrender to What Is and not to what could be. ~Anadi

      Silence was meaningful with the Lakota, and his granting a space of
      silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness
      and regardful of the rule that "thought comes before speech."

      And in the midst of sorrow, sickness, death, or misfortune of any
      kind, and in the presence of the notable and great, silence was the
      mark of respect. More powerful than words was silence with the
      Lakota.

      His strict observance of this tenet of good behavior was the reason,
      no doubt, for his being given the false characterization by the
      white man of being stoic. He has been judged to be dumb, stupid,
      indifferent, and unfeeling.

      As a matter of truth, he was the most sympathetic of men, but his
      emotions of depth and sincerity were tempered with control.  Silence
      meant to the Lakota what it meant to Disraeli when he said, "Silence
      is the mother of truth," for the silent man was ever to be trusted,
      while the man ever ready with speech was never taken seriously.

      - Chief Luther Standing Bear
      Teton Sioux
      The Ways of Words and Silence

      posted to The Power Of Silence

      One of the most difficult things to learn is that mindfulness is not
      dependent on any emotional or mental state. We have certain images of
      meditation. Meditation is something done in quiet caves by tranquil
      people who move slowly. Those are training conditions. They are set up
      to foster concentration and to learn the skill of mindfulness. Once
      you have learned that skill, however, you can dispense with the
      training restrictions, and you should. You don't need to move at a
      snail's pace to be mindful. You don't even need to be calm. You can be
      mindful while solving problems in intensive calculus. You can be
      mindful in the middle of a football scrimmage. You can be mindful in
      the midst of a raging fury. Mental and physical activities are no bar
      to mindfulness. If you find your mind extremely active, then simply
      observe the nature and degree of that activity. It is just a part of
      the passing show within.

       --Henepola Gunaratana, Mindfulness in Plain English

      posted to ordinarymind

      speaking about the dalai lama - here is
      a true story i wrote several years ago,
      which illustrates why i consider him a
      real teacher...

      Last year one of friends of mine spent some months traveling in
      india. At a certain point he traveled with some other fellow
      travelers on motorbikes in the north. They drove up to dharmasala, to
      pay respects to the dalai lama.
      There are two roads up to the tibetan settlement; both are very steep
      and difficult.

      My friend, ilan, chooses one of the roads and, with difficulty,
      reached the top. He waited for the other four guys, but they did not
      show up; so he walked down hill and found out that the four bikes had
      burnt their clutches on the attempts to climb the steep road.
      Since the garages are located on top of the hill, in the tibetan
      village, they had no choice but to push them all the way up the road.
      The five of them started the task. They were assisted occasionally by
      kind passersby. At a certain point, two elderly tibetan monks walking
      the same direction engaged them in conversation, and after sharing
      some laughs helped to push the bikes quite a distance, despite their
      age.

      The next day there were invited to a lecture delivered by the dalai
      lama to young tibetans. There was a podium on a side of the hall,
      sort of balcony, reserved for the western guests.
      The lecture was in tibetan; it started with a sentence that the dalai
      lama said which throw the audience into fits of laughter that lasted
      fifteen minutes. Than hh continued to deliver his speech, interrupted
      frequently by outbursts of laughter from the audience.
      After the lecture ended, the 'foreigners' noticed to their joy, that
      the dalai lama, instead of leaving the premises, turned to their
      direction and climbed up to their balcony. He spoke with some of
      them, about their countries and travels in india, and his immediate
      presence was a powerful experience. as he was about to leave, he
      turned towards ilan and asked "well, how did you manage with the
      bikes, did you get the spare parts?" it was only then that ilan
      recognized him. he was one of the two elderly monks that pushed with
      them the bikes uphill the day beforeĀ…

      @}->,->'--
      yosy

       posted on NDS

      /*\

      When you are not aware of Awareness itself, you experience Awareness as thinking. A very fast process of recognition of different objects: mental, physical and emotional.~Anadi

      Knights of the South Bronx will be shown on A&E Dec 6 at 8:00 Eastern time.
      It's a movie about the ghetto kids my brother taught to play chess and took to
      several National Championships. It's an extraordinary story which I was able
      to witness several times by going to some tournaments with him and his kids.
      It was beautiful to see what he had done with them and I can't wait to see the
      film.

      I hope you will tune in to this and tell your friends too. It stars Ted Danson as
      my brother.

      http://www.aetv.com/knightsofthesouthbronx/cast2.html

      Love,

      John

      posted to Eman8tions

      Welcome to this new site!

      My name is Ben Hassine, born 13-8-1972 in Maastricht, the Netherlands. Currently I live with my girlfriend and daughter in Zutendaal, Belgium.

      Here you will find all kinds of information on buddhism, ch'an, zen, Krishnamurti, spirituality, literature, music, stories, teachers, teachings, poetry, interviews, articles and so forth.
      I am still working on the site and will update it regularly.

      Each song, picture, article etc. you find here is my teacher.