Wednesday, November 9, 2005

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2311, Wednesday, November 9, 2005

      -----------

      Mulla Nasaradin was once invited to speak on the subject of the
      Divine Qualities at a prestigious university in the Northeast. While
      he was lecturing on the subject of the Divine Light, he closed his
      eyes in deep contemplation looking for the words to express himself.
      Suddenly, he was overcome by Divine ecstasy. To his students he
      seemed to have lost him mind for he began ranting and raving as if
      insane. His students, who had arranged for him to speak, quickly
      took over the situation and concluded the lecture for him. After
      everyone had gone, they talked among themselves and decided to bring
      him to a nearby mental hospital for observation.

      For several days he was incoherent, lost in the higher spheres of
      consciousness. His students took turns staying with him worried as
      they were about his condition. Every hour different medical
      personnel would come in to check his condition and speculate as to
      what name should be given to his mental disorder for insurance
      purposes. Eventually, Mulla Nasrudin regained normal consciousness
      and sat up in the hospital bed. "Where am I?" he demanded from the
      nurse who was there to take his blood pressure. The nurse, shocked
      by his seemingly miraculous recovery said, "You are in the hospital.
      Don't worry. I'll be right back."

      She ran out of the room to get the psychologist who quickly returned
      with the nurse to see the Mulla. "How are we today?" the
      psychologist asked in a cautious tone. "Well, I don't know about you
      my dear but I am quite well thank you. What am I doing here?" Mulla
      asked.

      The psychologist recounted the story told to her by the mulla's
      students and then about his unusual behavior at the hospital and
      began explaining to Mulla Nasrudin the various mental disorders that
      she felt he might possibly be a victim of. The mulla listened
      patiently as the doctor recounted in medical jargon her theories as
      to what had happened to him. When she was finished speaking the
      mulla started to get up from the bed saying, "Well that is all very
      interesting but as you can see I am perfectly fine now and well
      rested. I would not dream of imposing on you any longer so I must be
      going. Thank you very much for you hospitality."

      The nurse pushed Mulla Nasrudin back down on the bed. "Please sir,
      not so fast, you must rest for now." The psychologist agreed, "Yes
      the nurse is quite right, you may think that you are all right but
      really you must be very ill and we could not, in good conscience
      allow you to leave just now. Please try to relax while we try to
      figure out what has happened to you."

      The mulla laid back down in the bed as the nurse pulled the covers
      over him. The mulla looked at the nurse as the doctor left the room
      and said, "This is very kind of you my dear, I see that you and the
      doctor are most concerned about me. I am very touched." "That's fine
      sir, just try to rest." and as she turned to leave she said under
      her breath, "Touched isn't the word for this one!" and then she
      left.

      Completely invigorated by his ecstatic vision, the mulla sat up in
      the bed meditating upon his beautiful and profound experience the
      whole world seemed quite transfigured. Just then several of his
      students came in to check on him and were overjoyed at his recovery.
      They sat and talked to him and asked him to give some clue as to
      what he had experienced. "What I have witnessed is beyond words my
      dear ones but my question to you is why have you brought me here? I
      would have been quite fine to be given a small room and left alone
      as is our custom in the East. You needn't have brought me here to
      worry these good people they think that there is something wrong
      with me." said Mulla Nasrudin.

      Just then the psychologist came back in and asked everyone to leave.
      When the students had gone the psychologist began asking the Mulla
      about his childhood in an effort to figure out his illness. After a
      time the Mulla asked the doctor, "Why do you think that I am sick?
      As you can see with your own eyes I am quite healthy!" The Doctor
      looked penetratingly into the Mullah's eyes and said, "You have had
      some sort of very traumatic psychological episode and even though
      you seem well adjusted and healthy at the moment statistically,
      there is bound to be something wrong with you."

      "Statistically," the Mulla questioned, "how do you mean?" The doctor
      replied, "With co-dependency, addiction, childhood problems, post-
      traumatic stress syndrome, brain chemical imbalance, social
      pressures and the like, we believe ninety-seven percent of the
      population is ill to a greater or lesser degree." "Ninety-seven
      percent!" the mulla gasped, "That is a most terrible problem! So,
      have you personally ever met a healthy person?"

      "Yes I believe I met one once but then," She reflected, "I didn't
      know him very well." the doctor replied gravely. "Well in that
      case," the Mulla replied, "I think of the great savings to the
      country and perhaps most of you troubles with overcrowding here in
      the hospital would be solved if you found those healthy three
      percent of the people and put them in the hospital and the other
      ninety-seven percent can come to study and learn from them how to
      become healthy!"

      - posted to Nasrudin

      -----------

      A foolish man was raving at a donkey. It took no notice.
      A wiser man who was watching said: 'Idiot! The donkey
      will never learn your language - better that you should
      observe silence and instead master the tongue of the Donkey.'

      - Saadi of Shiraz, from the book, The Way of the Sufi, published by
      Penguin Books.

      -----------

      You are the One which is aware
      of the Awareness of objects and ideas.
      You are the One which is even more silent
      than Awareness. You are the life which
      precedes the concept of life. Your nature
      is Silence and it is not attainable, it
      always Is.

      - Papaji, posted to AlongTheWay

      -----------

      I have just three things to teach:
      simplicity, patience, compassion.

      These three are your greatest treasures.

      Simple in actions and thoughts,
      you return to the source of being.

      Patient with both friends and enemies,
      you accord with the way things are.

      Compassionate toward yourself,
      you reconcile all beings in the world.

      - Tao te Ching, posted to MillionPaths

      -----------

      The fruits are first in our thoughts,
      but only in the end
      are they truly seen.
      When you have done the work
      and planted the tree,
      when the fruit appears,
      you read the first words.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi I: 971-972, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski,
      Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight