#2296 - Monday, October 24, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2005
      What Is There Beyond Knowing? -- Mary Oliver

      What Is There Beyond Knowing?

      What is there beyond knowing that keeps
      calling to me?  I can't

      turn in any direction
      but it's there.  I don't mean

      the leaves' grip and shine or even the thrush's
      silk song, but the far-off

      fires, for example,
      of the stars, heaven's slowly turning

      theater of light, or the wind
      playful with its breath;

      or time that's always rushing forward,
      or standing still

      in the same -- what shall I say --
      moment.

      What I know
      I could put into a pack

      as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it
      on one shoulder,

      important and honorable, but so small!
      While everything else continues, unexplained

      and unexplainable.  How wonderful it is
      to follow a thought quietly

      to its logical end.
      I have done this a few times.

      But mostly I just stand in the dark field,
      in the middle of the world, breathing

      in and out.  Life so far doesn't have any other name
      but breath and light, wind and rain.

      If there's a temple, I haven't found it yet.
      I simply go on drifting, in the heaven of the grass
      and the weeds.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (New and Selected Poems Volume Two)

      #2296 - Monday, October 24, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Highlights Home Page and Archive:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      May you live all the days of your life.
      ~ Jonathan Swift

      “A wooden chicken is swimming in the water.
      A stone fish is playing in the sky.
      Form-body and karma-body come from thinking.
      Dharma-body is pure and clear and infinite
      In time and space
      On the water of a thousand rivers,
      A thousand moons are reflected.
      There are no clouds over ten thousand miles,
      Only blue sky for ten thousand miles.”
      ~Seung Sahn

      From the book, “Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The Teachings of Zen
      Master Seung Sahn,” published by Grove Press Books.

      posted to Daily Dharma

      "We are always putting the question of what is possible.
      If you put an impossible question,
      your mind then has to find the answer in terms of the impossible - not what is possible."

      ~ J. Krishnamurti

      posted by Ben Hassine

      Even if you can explain thousands of sutras and shastras,
      unless you see your own nature, yours is the teaching of a moral, not a Buddha.

      Boddhidharma

      This is what religions have done for thousands of years.
      They have taught that the words are what is important.
      Remember, even what you are reading here is not important.
      What is important is your True Nature.

      posted to Conscious Oneness

      The Hidden Singer

      The gods are less for their love of praise.
      Above and below them all is a spirit that needs nothing
      but its own wholeness, its health and ours.
      It has made all things by dividing itself.
      It will be whole again.
      To its joy we come together --
      the seer and the seen, the eater and the eaten,
      the lover and the loved.
      In our joining it knows itself. It is with us then,
      not as the gods whose names crest in unearthly fire,
      but as a little bird hidden in the leaves
      who sings quietly and waits, and sings.

      ~ Wendell Berry ~

      posted by know_mystery

      If all of life is our sadhana,
      then every moment a koan arises
      that stops the conditioned momentum,
      and how we think or see or listen then
      is all part of it too.

      Xan

      *      *      *

      The fundamental koan shatters the conceptual mind—eventually.
      What is left?

      Today I was sitting,
      And watching Soufi the cat.
      He is so majestically beautiful,
      His eyes wide open:
      Hearing the raindrops against the window.

      What you say above I can see as well.
      The purpose of my life is to be here, to be here awake, and to breathe.
      There is no other goal, no other purpose than being here as I am—as I am awake.
      It is hardly a purpose,
      Though it is better than ‘good.’

      I am nothing fixed, not in oneness, nor in emptiness, not in flux or any other thing.
      I float as all things interconnected against the palette of emptiness.
      Other than that I am that rock of reality.
      I am that rock because I am nothing in particular.

      During class I couldn’t speak,
      and was taken away by the view outside,
      autumn trees blowing in the wind.

      Guess we are not supposed to speak of that in class J

      You can see cosmic infinity in eyes,
      and are in love with everything:
      Such a fool.

      There is not a thing in the world.