#2294 - Saturday, October 22, 2005

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2005
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2294, Saturday, October 22, 2005

      -----------

      We come into this world empty-handed. What do we do in this world?
      Why did we come into this world? This body is an empty thing. What
      is the one thing that carries this body around? Where did it come
      from? You must understand that, you must find that. So, if you want
      to find that, you have to ask yourself, "What am I?" Always keep
      this big question. Thinking has to disappear. We have to take away
      all our thinking, cut off our thinking. Then our true self appears,
      then our true mind appears...

      - Zen Master Seung Sahn

      -----------

      A letter written by Bankei:

      Allow me to address you this brief message. Concerning your
      religious practice: as your thoughts haven't yet stopped, you must
      make every effort to rouse your faith, completely forgetting all
      thoughts, of every sort - thoughts of cherishing good and loathing
      evil, of loving or hating, of worldly affairs, of cherishing
      buddhahood, of loathing delusion or cherishing enlightenment. If
      nothing at all remains in your mind, then your religious practice is
      complete, so if you can come to this quickly, I'll be able to give
      you my acknowledgement. By assiduously rousing your faith, you'll
      quickly escape the delusions.

      When you have escaped them, I'll know it, and at that time I'll be
      able to give my acknowledgment to that one who has escaped.

      Respectfully,

      Bankei

      - from Bankei Zen, translated by Peter Haskel, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      -----------

      it is here
      in the breath
      it is here
      in the stillness between breaths

      it is here
      in the active mind
      it is here
      in the resting mind

      it is here
      in the dream's panorama
      it is here
      in each moment of awakening

      it is here
      when all is well
      it is here
      when fear has nothing left to fear

      even then
      there is pure noticing
      even then
      there is no need for doing

      no frantic searching
      can find the obvious
      no seeking needed
      to find that which seeks

      it is here
      where it can never be lost
      or found

      - Nirmala, from Gifts With No Giver, posted to MillionPaths

      -----------

      THUS SPAKE RAMANA - 117

      That Knowledge is (real) Knowledge which transcends both knowledge
      and ignorance. There is no object to be known 'there'. When one's
      true nature is known, then there is Being without beginning and end;
      it is unbroken Awareness-Bliss. Remaining in this state of the
      Supreme, the Realisation of that which subsists when all trace
      of 'I' is gone, is good tapas.

      -posted to RamanaMaharshi

      -----------

      Don't Postpone Your Yes!

      Muhammed is said to have said,
      "Whoever belongs to God, God belongs to."

      Our weak, uneven breathings,
      these dissolving personalities,
      were breathed out by the eternal
      Huuuuuuuu, that never changes!
      A drop of water constantly fears
      that it may evaporate into the air,
      or be absorbed by the ground.

      It doesn't want to be used up
      in those ways, but when it lets go
      and falls into the ocean it came from,
      it finds protection from the other deaths.

      Its droplet form is gone,
      but its watery essence has become
      vast and inviolable.

      Listen to me, friends, because you
      are a drop, and you can honor yourselves
      in this way. What could be luckier?

      than to have the ocean come
      to court the drop?

      For God's sake, don't postpone your yes!
      Give up and become the giver.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi IV:2613-2622, version by Coleman Barks, One-Handed
      Basket Weaving, posted to Sunlight