#2291 - Wednesday, October 19, 2005

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2291, Wednesday, October 19, 2005

      -----------

      Student: I feel if I were to explain the tonglen practice to
      somebody, it would just sound masochistic.

      Pema: I think the important thing is, What do you say to yourself?
      Right now. Do you feel it's masochistic?

      Student: No, no.

      Pema: It's all right if you do.

      Student: No, no, it doesn't at all.

      Pema: So, why not?

      Student: Because I feel like I'm helping.

      Pema: And how?

      Student: That I'm changing my perspective and realizing I have
      something to give, I have something positive to give.

      Pema: So, that's what you could say to them. All you can say is,
      well, listen, I can understand where you're coming from, but here's
      my experience. It's opening the heart to where you usually shut
      down. Because we all know, there's this common practice where you
      breathe in what's pleasant, and send out what's unpleasant. Right? I
      think that's a common visualization that¹s done. From the point of
      view of logic, that's what we want, right? If you want to be happy,
      you breathe in what's pleasant, and you get rid of . . .

      Tonglen is actually just a little more sophisticated. A little bit
      more in touch with what the root of suffering and the root of
      happiness are. It isn't like the other is "off the wall." It's just
      that if you want to go deeper into the real root of suffering, it's
      closing down, and the real root of happiness is opening the heart,
      or dissolving the armor.

      We just go right into that which we usually armor against. And,
      conversely, when there¹s attachment or addiction, we train in
      letting go of those things. It doesn't have to do, really, with
      morality or ethics, per se, at all. It just has to do with what
      brings an individual happiness. And what then brings happiness to
      the bigger picture as well. But, it is good for us to do this,
      that's the interesting thing.

      We're not doing it because we want everyone else to be happy,
      therefore we're willing to suffer--although sometimes the teachings
      do sound like that. But, the truth is, it's what will also bring us
      happiness.

      It takes courage, that's why the image of the warrior or the
      bodhisattva-- warrior or bodhisattva are two names for the same
      thing-- it's the one who cultivates courage. Because it does take
      courage to go to reside with this kind of energy-- you want to get
      away from it. Whether you know what the core fear, core belief, is
      or not, you know what that energy feel like.

      And you know you want to get out of there. And then you begin to
      acknowledge your thoughts--like all the ways you get out of there:
      it's her fault, it's his fault, it's because of me, I'm bad . . .
      endless.

      -Pema Chödrön, posted to DailyDharma

      -----------

      Peace and happiness are within you: in every step, in every breath,
      in every smile. The more aware you are of it, the more present they
      will be in your daily life.

      - posted to AdvaitaToZen

      -----------

      Right now in this moment:

      close your eyes.

      Be still.

      Be silent.

      Rest in this stillness.

      Rest in this silence.

      This is all that there is
      to find freedom.

      All of your
      trying to figure it out,

      adopting teachings
      and philosophies,
      seeking ways
      to make this moment better

      are just ways
      you struggle in distraction.

      You are perfect as you are.
      Your life is perfect as it is.

      This moment is divine.

      So be still.

      Be silent.

      Rest in this stillness.

      Rest in this silence.

      Consciousness is always here,
      always aware.

      Consciousness is what you are.

      - anon, posted to MillionPaths

      -----------

      How shall the 'Infinite' rest 'anywhere'
      but in itself?

      The infinite is below
      above, behind, before

      To the right, to the left
      I am all this.

      This 'Infinite' is the 'Self'

      The 'Self' is below
      above, behind, before

      To the right, to the left
      I am all this.

      One who 'knows'
      contemplates upon

      And 'realizes'
      the 'truth' of the 'Self' ...

      Such a one delights
      in the 'Self'

      Rejoices in the 'Self'

      He becomes 'master of himself'
      'master' of 'all worlds'

      'Slaves' are they
      who know not 'this truth.'

      - Chandogya Upanishad 7.23-25, posted to Poetic_Mysticism

      SO CHEAP

      I am all hollowed out now
      Like a reed.
      I gave everything for this.
      And still I laughingly wonder:
      How would it have been so cheap?

      -Adyashanti from My Secret is Silence: Poetry and Sayings of
      Adyashanti