  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2000

      The teachings of the Sage of Arunachala, Ramana Maharishi, who guided me and blessed
      me in my early youth focus almost exclusively on the Self-Enquiry involving asking the
      question "Who Am I" and holding on to resulting "Awareness" in all conditions. He
      wrote very little except some poetry and a few selected translations of classic works
      (See the Collected works of Ramana Maharshi). He also addressed questions pertaining
      to Kundalini Shakti and different Samadhis when appropriate. Anyone interested in this
      approach should read conversations with Ramana Maharishi or other books written about
      him. A book that I would recommend is "Talks with Ramana Maharshi" which is a
      compilation of conversations recorded by Ramanaananda Sarswati (between 1935-1939).

      Carl Jung called Ramana Maharshi "The purest (or the whitest) spot in a white land."
      Many of the greatest Yogis and Spiritual Masters of India (Some of who later came to
      the U.S to teach) went to the sacred Hill of Arunachala to be in the presence of this
      great Sage. I believe Swami Nityananda (Guru of Baba Muktananda) also visited there as
      did Swami Rama, founder of the Himalayan Institute. Swami Yogananda of SRF went there
      to visit and asked questions. Various Holy men and Shankracharyas used to go to him to
      clear their doubts. My teacher in his teen years, used to visit Sri Ramana Maharishi
      as well.

      Many people have the mistaken impression that the teaching of the Sage of Arunachala
      is not compatible with Shakti Yoga. Let me say clearly that growing in awareness of I
      AM is not inconsistent with any particular spiritual practice and indeed will aid in
      such practices including those associated with Shakti Yoga. At the same time no
      particular spiritual practice is essential if one is earnestly holding on to the self
      awareness. Grace plays the final role and takes the feeling/awareness of I AM and it
      Merges it or Swallows it. That state is beyond expression as language cannot capture
      it, thought being absent, mind having been absorbed, Stillness Alone Remains without
      any ripples. It is simply the Self, the Reality which You Are.

      "He who instructs an ardent seeker to do this or that
      is not a true master. The seeker is already afflicted
      by his activities and wants peace and rest. In other
      words he wants cessation of his activities. If a
      teacher tells him to do something in addition to, or
      in place of, his other activities, can that be a help
      to the seeker? Activity is creation, Activity is the
      destruction of one's inherent happiness. If activity
      is advocated the adviser is not a master but a

      Sri Ramana Maharshi.

      Thanks Tony for that quote from Ramana Maharshi. I will pass that along to other lists
      with something from

      26. D: What is this direct experience?

      M: Just as one can clearly distinguish the sun from the cloud hiding it, so also when
      one can distinguish the Self from the ego, it is direct experience. This is the
      "fruit'' of reflection.

      55 - 56 Inasmuch as Brahman is impartite, perfect Wholeness, the witness being
      Brahman must also be impartite, perfect Wholeness. Therefore it is established that
      the Self is One unbroken Bliss.

      D: What is the 'fruit' of this knowledge?

      M: To reject the five sheaths and names and forms of objects as something
      inexpressible, only superimposed on the Reality, illusory, to practice that the
      substratum, i.e., Brahman of Being-Knowledge-Bliss is the Self and to realise It as 'I
      am Brahman' with the resulting Supreme Bliss of being the Brahman is the 'fruit' of
      this knowledge.

      Here ends the chapter on Reflection.

      peter wood, at <wood@...> wrote the following:

      who are the english guys that hold events and satsangs over
      here (U.K.)? can you tell me
      peter thanks

      If anyone can help Peter, please write him. Thanks. And
      perhaps let us know on the list.

      Jane and Alan at the *Ramana Maharshi Foundation* in London usually are at
      the hub of information pertaining to gatherings in the U.K. Here's the
      info. They are friends of mine, so please greet them for me!!

      53, Broadfield,
      Broadhurst Gardens,
      London NW6 3BN
      Tel. 0171 328 6610

      With love,

      Jan Koehoorn (aka Dutch) recently attended a 'satsang' with Tony Parsons
      in Amsterdam. Tony lives in England. Here is the link for further info
      on book and gatherings.

      Tony Parsons; The Open Secret

      Tony Parsons, The Garden House, Sancreed,
      PENZANCE, Cornwall, TR20 8QS, UK.
      Tel +44 (0)1736 810008
      Fax +44 (0)1736 810009

      One must beware of developing an "I" that
      likes to deal with challenges for their own sake. That's why the best
      challenges are the ones that actually force us to lose something or give
      up something with nothing in return. I.e., they should humble us.

      Yes. I find wisdom here. Humility is out of fashion in American
      culture, and is wrongly equated with negative self-esteem.
      Try to find a humble person running for office, running a
      business, or a commercial recommending a humble approach. Humility
      has become a radical stance! The present is truly humbling - seen
      as it is, it takes everything that was thought to be had, leaving
      only no-thing. All somethings for no-thing - a wonderful bargain indeed.
      -- Love --

      Humble is of the same root word for humus, earth..as are human, humane,
      humanity, humanitarian, humanize - humanly speaking of being down to earth,
      earthy - humus is damp, humid, moist,..and thus humors of the bodily fluids
      became temperaments and we humor those persons out of humor with our humor,
      especially those prone to speak words for the sheer love of word

      And in continuing in this thread after Gene(See yesterday's highlights*ed.), I found
      this, the last page in Timothy Schoorel's book, "The 7 Principles of Freedom."
      I don't think Timothy will mind me putting it here.

      It's titled Peace.

      How we feel emotionally depends on how successful we are in life.
      But we put too much weight and importance on feelings. Peace is
      not a feeling, it is not found in feelings, it found in freedom.
      Without freedom, how can you be happy? How can you be joyous?
      Feelings and emotions are not as deep as we usually think they are.
      Compared to authentic peace they are not all that deep. In freedom
      there is natural peace. There's a deep synchronicity and understanding
      with life: somehow, you are humming the same song.

      Without freedom we cannot be natural. We are restless, living as if
      there is always something urgent to attend to. We always have some
      excuse to keep ourselves occupied. Without freedom we are bascially
      unable to relax in life. Without freedom there is simply no peace.

      What do you think enlightenment is? You are still a fragile human
      Spirituality is not escapism. Enlightenment is not separate from
      mundane life. Youy are just natural, even ordinary. An ordinary human
      being who has realized his absolute nature. You may have realized the
      Absolute, but you still need to make a living, you still love your
      you still like music, you still pay the rent.

      Being enlightened does not mean that you cannot be hurt or dissapointed,
      that all problems have magically disappeared from life. Life always has
      own problems, even if you know that all is well. However, enlightenment
      does mean that your heart is free of conflict. The question is not how
      to be without problems, or how to never be hurt. The question that
      is whether your heart is free!

      Happy Days,

      I've just been reading the dialogue between
      Michael and Xan in the NdShighlights of yesterday
      and would like to make an observation...

      You are in good company here Michael.

      When this world has more like Xan...
      what a wonderful world... it will be.

      In an earlier post to NdS - Michael wrote:

      >A guide can only lead me into the forest and point the way he knows.
      >A guide cannot point me the way out.
      >That is my process.
      >Share with me your journey.
      >I will find my own way out.
      >Thank You,

      Which spawned this muse...

      The guides / 'midwives'... we meet along 'our way'...
      can encourage us... with the words they say...
      but... they can only point... not lead us back...
      to *awareness*... which, we appear to lack.

      Our journey 'home'... must be traveled alone...
      but, it's sure nice to be able to... 'phone'...
      some who have 'walked' along this path before...
      who know the perils... and also... 'the score'.

      They warn us of... the *delusions of doom*...
      and can be beacons... through the murk and gloom...
      but we needn't trace another's rote route...
      because each 'path'... is mutable... and moot.

      ( /\ )

      jan wrote:

      [snip]......Sooner or later one will (have to)
      leave all feelings behind and preferably while remaining
      awake. Now how
      would that (process) feel and be called?

      skye: perhaps something like conscious air or a clear
      crystal like existence.

      Jan: This is more like a possible description of the "impossible"; awake while
      still linked to a body, without being "bothered" with trivialities like
      hunger, thirst, tiredness, pain, gravity etc..

      skye: Without emotional distortion tremendous energy might flow
      through self, energies concerned with existence far more
      encompassing than our small portion of the spectrum.
      Unpredetermined coils of electromagnetic energy through
      which the self travels through it's selves automatically,
      reaching out to nourish all systems growing by
      transmigration. Condensed essences of selves that are the
      giants who are instrumental in the formation of physical
      consciousness and the seeding of universes, all of which
      exist simultaneously in a point that takes up no space.

      Jan: Right, energy is a crucial factor. The construction of biological
      conditioning requires energy and so does the factual de-conditioning. But
      when deconditioning reaches a certain point, one becomes aware of energy
      itself, not just its manifestations.

      skye: Like children with building blocks, we are so focussed and
      preoccupied with objectifying our physical consciousness
      that its like we cannot afford to perceive any reality, but
      our own. A few have been able to lay the children's toys
      aside, but everyone here is still too bound by intellectual
      pride and emotional preferences.

      Jan: Giving up these toys "just like that" probably isn't easy. The analogy of a
      dog, gnawing at the leg of a chair, giving that up immediately only when a
      juicy bone is given. If one is satisfied with one's "state of affairs",
      nothing will happen. If one gives up completely (even the desire for
      enlightenment), sooner or later one will have a "bright flash". When
      satisfied with that, nothing will happen :) For a wise one, "progress" is
      possible until feelings are no more (which doesn't mean one can't respond
      to feelings of "others").

      skye: To me there is no fear of abandonment but rather a fear of
      union that obliterates physical consciousness, as i know it.

      Jan: The fear is the fear of losing identification. One's real nature has no
      reference and that is very frightening. Behavior could be called an
      equilibrium between tendencies (to do) and inhibitions (not to do); feeling
      both tendencies and inhibitions is a conditioning and it will vanish too;
      all one's beliefs, even common sense, will appear as a conditioning, to
      reappear "after" as "just" the content of memory, no longer dictating
      behavior in any way. With one's physical feelings, it is the same. They
      also will appear as a conditioning, reappearing as memory "after", but no
      longer dictating behavior as pain is no more. There never was such an event
      as "union of Shiva and Shakti"; all these events are but memorable
      "milestones" in the process of de-identification. What one can learn from
      that, is that de-identification is a reason for joy, not for fear :)

      You (Phil) and Xan have the quality of stating the obvious succinctly.

      Hmmmm. I wonder what he means by that ^,^

      Stating the obvious with few words is a gift that some people like you Xan and Phil
      and others have. I appreciate that simplicity because the Self is the Ultimate
      Simplicity. Although voluminous scriptures, books, and commentaries exist and are
      written everyday, they are only meaningful and can only be understood with reference
      to other things. Phil said that Being can subsist without reference to "other"
      objects. Indeed, Being is Always Existing without Reference. It is It Self the Only
      Reference. That is the paradox of the Self Nature or Buddha Nature from a mental
      perspective. Reality Experiencing It Self has Absolutely no reference point what so
      ever! But the Mind itself is a condition arising out of consciousness and the
      perceived identity is a cross-section of an infinite reference points. It is all
      wondrous magic!

      Larry: One more thought on suspicious gurus. In the field of nonduality
      (ultimate truth) it could be said there are two basic approaches: "no
      self" and "empty self". All the bad boys, Gurdjieff, Trungpa, Osho, Adi
      Da, etc. expounded the path of empty self. All those beyond reproach,
      Ramana, Nisargadatta, Poonjaji, etc. expounded the path of no self. In
      the classical literature, the Indian empty self proponents, Tilopa,
      Naropa, etc. were constantly getting in trouble with kings and
      villagers. In Tibet, however, people like Marpa and Milarepa managed to
      keep a good reputation. Is this just a fluke, does empty = immoral?

      Phil: If an "empty self" is really empty, then "it" is empty of self -- and
      thus no self.

      Larry: These guys seem to be doing something;
      I can't see what; maybe it's just theatre

      ~ What you can see that they do is theatre.
      There is so much more they do that isn't
      apparent to ordinary seeing.

      jan: In order to feel anything at all, there has to be the ability to feel. One
      feeling or another - this is but a matter of interpretation by the
      "hardware". In this respect all feelings are the same; they can only refer
      to the mind-body and its vicissitudes. Sooner or later one will (have to)
      leave all feelings behind and preferably while remaining awake. Now how
      would that (process) feel and be called?

      neo: I'll bite. How would it feel and be called?

      Dan: Not describable, and thus not an experience, idea, or feeling -
      It would be awareness as "unspeakable emptiness - no process".
      It would "feel" totally unknown - void of qualities.
      It could be called "That with no qualifiers".

      Skye: Sounds rather numb and lifeless to me.

      Dan: Perhaps so - if taken as a description.
      So, we won't take this numb and lifeless group of words
      for what is being described. We'll go right into it
      where it's "alive" and not describable.

      Bruce: That's an understandable
      inference, but in my
      experience it couldn't
      be further from the
      truth. Thought infers
      this out of fear, mainly
      fear of the loss of its
      precious "individuality."
      No worries, Skye, it'll
      be back, new and improved
      to boot! After all, one
      is hard put find a more
      feisty bunch of nominal
      individuals than the
      famous non-dual sages --
      these people kicked some
      major butt! :-)

      Judi: ******* It's death, what'd you think it was? A walk in the park? :-)

      Skye: *LOL* If They Don't Have Walks in the Park In Heaven, I Ain't Going ;-)

      neo: Try bliss beyond comprehension, fulfillment of all desires, love unimaginable.

      skye: Oh shit! i forgot about those ;-)

      Judi: ******** Dream on.

      neo: You've got it all wrong. it is not death but life.

      Judi: ******** No, you've got it wrong. It's both. You didn't think
      you were gonna get out alive did you? Bwhahahaha! :-)

      Dan: Clarity! Leave what is lifeless behind, including one's "self".
      Enter where to die is Life.

      Michael wrote:

      Where do the original masters get their teachings?

      Much occult knowledge is given through the play of the third
      eye. One of Judi's favorite songs, which begins, 'When you
      wish upon a star,' is a third eye song. It became a Walt
      Disney trademark. There has been much third eye symbolism in
      Disney works. I'd love to know something about Disney's
      mystical inclinations. Spielberg, of course, directly
      referred to the third eye in E.T. (Third Eye backwards?),
      when E.T. touches the boy's forehead and says, "I'll be
      right here."

      Yes, the third eye. It is a Siddhi supermarket. The
      'original master' can be found wheeling his cart down aisle
      7: Cat food, Cookies, and Karmic Knowledge.