#2282 - Sunday, October 9, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2005
      Nondual Highlights
      #2282 - Sunday, October 9, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Another day, another dream.

      Yet it all comes from the same source. It's the same dream wearing a different
      day.

      Copyright © 2005 by John MacEnulty

      Emanations is now a BLOG at http://emanations.blog-city.com/

      "We talk to ourselves incessantly about our world. In fact we maintain our world with our internal talk... Not only that, but we also choose our paths as we talk to ourselves. Thus we repeat the same choices over and over until the day we die, because we keep on repeating the same internal talk until the day we die. A warrior is aware of this and strives to stop his internal talk."

      - Carlos Castaneda, The Wheel of Time

      posted by Viorica Weissman to The Power of Silence

      Instructions

      Give up the world; give up self; finally, give up God.
      Find god in rhododendrons and rocks,
      passers-by, your cat.
      Pare your beliefs, your absolutes.
      Make it simple; make it clean.
      No carry-on luggage allowed.
      Examine all you have
      with a loving and critical eye, then
      throw away some more.
      Repeat. Repeat.
      Keep this and only this:
      what your heart beats loudly for
      what feels heavy and full in your gut.
      There will only be one or two
      things you will keep,
      and they will fit lightly
      in your pocket.

      -Sheri Hostetler
      from the anthology A Cappella: Mennonite Voices in Poetry

      THE BUDDHA VERSUS BABE RUTH

      The Buddha's nothing
      if he can't hit, I figure.
      So I knock on the bamboo door
      of his tiny grass hut
      and challenge him to a little contest.

      Sure, sounds like fun!
      he says, agreeing to
      the ridiculously tough ground rules
      I lay down for the event:
      only one at-bat,
      he has to hit it out of the park,
      he can choose the fence.
      But, he says, I want you to know,
      I really have nothing to prove.

      Yeah, yeah, I retort, spoken like a
      true master of nothingness.

      So he washes his bowl,
      steps into his sandals,
      and we head out for the park.

      I enlist a catcher from a group of kids
      standing there jeering
      at the Buddha's uncool garb
      and take the mound.
      I throw some warmup pitches
      as the Buddha looks on,
      holding the bat to his chest
      as if it were a newborn babe
      in his arms.

      When I'm ready, he steps into the box
      and draws back the bat. A steady breeze
      is blowing straight in from the plate,
      perfect for my wicked slider
      and butterfly knuckler.

      I show him the slider first.
      It might as well have been
      a fastball, a change-up,
      or movie tickets -- he swings
      just as the ball is leaving my hand.

      The kids jeer louder,
      the Buddha smiles.

      Okay, I think, but I've been around
      enough to know the game's not over
      till the last card's on the table.
      So I bear down on the next pitch,
      a blazing fastball with a nice hop on it.
      This time the old geezer
      takes his cut after the ball's
      already popped into the catcher's mitt.

      The kids roar,
      the Buddha smiles,
      and for some reason,
      I break out into a nervous sweat.

      But no one can get a solid piece of
      my knuckler, I reassure myself,
      scuffing up the mound
      and fondling the resin bag.
      I wind up, and just as I let it fly
      the Buddha steps back
      and leaves the bat wagging itself
      there in the air!
      The ball dances toward the plate
      like a hyperactive jumping bean,
      the bat comes around
      with a whoosh that could probably
      be heard in the outfield,
      the ball cracks off like a shot.
      When it reaches the
      407-foot centerfield fence,
      it's still rising.

      I turn back around and gape at the bat,
      still poised in its perfect follow-through.
      The kids, too, are speechless now.
      The Buddha smiles, reaches for the bat,
      and holds it out in front of himself
      like a sacred chalice.

      Our jaws drop another notch
      as the bat turns into
      the reddest rose we've ever seen.

      ^

      Dick Holmes

      found at Poetry Chaikhana Forum  and used with permission

      "In The Flower Ornament Sutra, a good part of the ninth chapter is
      about Buddha helping us to wake up. He keeps throwing truths out
      into the crowd, right and left. So much energy is generated by his
      teachings that the bodhisattvas surrounding him can't keep their
      mouths shut! So they also start shouting teachings right and left.
      It is hilarious. They are just too happy to sit still.

      Then a wonderful sentence appears: 'Always rejoicing, they go to all
      lands to explain such a teaching for all.'

      When I first read it, it stopped me in my tracks. Always rejoicing.
      Not, 'sometimes rejoicing', or 'occasionally rejoicing'. Always."

      ~P'arang Geri Larkin

      From the website
      http://www.stillpointzenbuddhisttemple.org

       posted by Gloria Lee to awakened awareness

      "The road to Bodhgaya is not level;
      there are moun­tain passes, valleys, rivers, precipices and so forth.
      No matter what your personal road is like,
      do not lose courage,
      but repeatedly relax loosely in nondual aware­ness.
      If we practice like this then one day,
      we will arrive in Bodhgaya,
      which means we will attain enlightenment.
      If we do not set out on the road, we will never arrive."

      -- Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

      posted by Anipanchen to Daily Dharma

      This is a public service announcement from the universe.

      There is only the Self.  It is present in all beings.  If you don't get the message, relax.  We are
      sending it to you all day long.

      If you do get the message and forget that you got it, not to worry.  We will resend it whenever
      you get ready to hear it.

      Love,
      The Universe

      posted by Vicki Woodyard to nondualnow