#2275 - Saturday, October 1, 2005

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2275, Saturday, October 1, 2005

      -----------

      Let's all be "Here" today :>)

      There's a quotation of the Buddha in the graduated discourses where
      the Buddha states that the mind is intrinsically pure or
      intrinsically bright but it's defiled by adventitious defilements.

      Defilements come in and out of the mind. They're visitors to the
      mind. We keep getting caught up with the visitors. Part of
      meditation practice is to be able to separate and understand what is
      the actual nature of the mind itself and what are the visitors to
      the mind that we keep getting caught up in.

      There was a bumper sticker going around California a few years ago
      which expresses it fairly well: 'Having a wonderful time. Wish I
      were here.' It sort of says it all...

      - Ajahn Pasann, posted to DailyDharma

      -----------

      I read a thousand books; memorized algorithms, names
      and concepts; traveled through all knowledge centres;
      asked all wise men. Now I only have one question left
      to answer: What was it all useful for?

      - posted to AdvaitaToZen

      -----------

      There is nothing but water in the holy pools.
      I know, I have been swimming in them.
      All the gods sculpted of wood or ivory can't say a word
      I know, I have been crying out to them.
      The sacred Books of the east are nothing but words.
      I looked through their covers one day sideways.
      What Kabir talks of is only what he has lived through.
      If you have not lived through something it is not true.

      - Kabir, posted to AlongTheWay

      -----------

      Love God for something other than Him, in order
      to be at all times part of His bounty;

      O love God for Himself, for nothing else than Himself,
      for fear of being estranged from Him.

      Both quests and searches come from that same Source
      where His heart ravishes hearts.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III, 4598-4600, translated by Muriel Maufroy,
      Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi,, Sanyar Press -
      London, 1997, posted to Sunlight

      -----------

      Futility...

      All that exists