#2265 - Monday, September 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005

      #2265 - Monday, September 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      As stars, a lamp, a fault of vision,
      As dewdrops or a bubble,
      A dream, a lightning flash, a cloud,
      So one should see conditioned things.

      - Diamond Sutra
      From "The Pocket Buddha Reader," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2001

      The present moment is changing so fast that we often do not notice its existence at all. Every moment of mind is like a series of pictures passing through a projector. Some of the pictures come from sense impressions. Others come from memories of past experiences or from fantasies of the future.

      Mindfulness helps us freeze the frame so that we can become aware of our sensations and experiences as they are, without the distorting coloration of socially conditioned responses or habitual reactions.

      -Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, "Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness"
      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations,"

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "You cannot transcend what you do not know.
      To go beyond yourself, you must know yourself."
      *

      "Learn to look without imagination, to listen without distortion: that
      is all. Stop attributing names and shapes to the essentially nameless
      and formless, realize that every mode of perception is subjective,
      that what is seen or heard, touched or smelled, felt or thought,
      expected or imagined, is in the mind and not in reality, and you will
      experience peace and freedom from fear."

      posted to A Net of Jewels

      The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?

      - Pablo Casals

      On subjects of which we know nothing, we both believe and disbelieve a hundred times an hour, which keeps believing nimble.
      - Emily Dickinson, quoted from Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

      When he tells us about his Father, we distrust him. When he shows us his Home, we turn away, but when he confides to us that he is "acquainted with grief," we listen, for that also is an acquaintance of our own.
      - Emily Dickinson,
      quoted from Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

      This World is not Conclusion.
      A Species stands beyond --
      Invisible, as Music --
      But positive, as Sound --
      It beckons, and it baffles --
      Philosophy -- don't know --
      And through a Riddle, at the last --
      Sagacity, must go --
      To guess it, puzzles scholars --
      To gain it, Men have borne
      Contempt of Generations
      And Crucifixion, shown --
      Faith slips -- and laughs, and rallies --
      Blushes, if any see --
      Plucks at a twig of Evidence --
      And asks a Vane, the way --
      Much Gesture, from the Pulpit --
      Strong Hallelujahs roll --
      Narcotics cannot still the Tooth
      That nibbles at the soul --
      - Emily Dickinson

      Buddhists often pay respect to or recite the name of the Medicine Buddha, who has the function of helping us to relieve suffering and extend our lives. Associated with this Buddha are the Sunlight Bodhisattva and the Moonlight Bodhisattva. The Sunlight Bodhisattva represents the sun, giving the earth light and energy. But at times, sunlight is too powerful, so it needs to be balanced by the gentle coolness of moonlight. Likewise, in the Buddhadharma, we need the power of wisdom, symbolized by sunlight, balanced by the gentle mind of compassion, symbolized by moonlight.

      source: http://www.chan1.org/ddp/talks/sun-m.html

      Posted to MillionPaths by Ben Hassine

      New group Advaita no Tradicional in Spanish

      You are welcome to join the new group "Advaita no tradicional"
      Atagrasin

      Truth is within ourselves, it takes no rise
      From outward things, whate'er you may believe.
      There is an inner centre in us all
      Where truth abides in fullness; and around
      Wall upon wall the gross flesh hems it in
      That perfect, clear perception which is Truth.
      A baffling and perverting carnal mesh
      Binds all and makes all error, but to know
      Rather consists in finding out a way
      For the imprisoned splendour to escape
      Than in achieving entry for a light
      Supposed to be without.

      ~  Robert Browning  ~

      posted by know_mystery

      He has afflicted you from every direction, in order
      to pull you back to the Directionless.

      -- Translation by Muriel Maufroy
      "Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi"
      posted to Sunlight by P Bridge