#2264 - Sunday, September 18, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18 11:09 PM
      #2264 - Sunday, September 18, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "If I could tell you what it meant, there would be no point in dancing it."

                 – Isadora Duncan

       To be a man of knowledge one needs to
              be light and fluid.

                  - Yaqui Mystic

      Although there are countless teachings that instruct how to obtain enlightenment in a future life, almost all of them are nothing more than expedients. As the ultimate instruction there is simply no teaching that is superior to the true practice of the awakening to one's own nature.

      -Hakuin, "Zen Master Hakuin"
      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations

      The Madhyamika school traces its origin to Nagarjuna, the brilliant philosopher and formidable dialectician who flourished in the late second century A.D. Taking Buddha's advocacy of the Middle Way between harmful extremes, between avid indulgence and austere asceticism, and between sterile intellectualization and suffocating mental torpor, Nagarjuna developed a rigorous dialectical logic by which he reduced every philosophical standpoint to an explosive set of contradictions. This did not lead to the closure of scepticism, as the less vigorously pursued pre-Socratic philosophies did, but rather to the elusive standpoint that neither existence nor non-existence can be asserted of the world and of everything in it. The Madhyamikas, therefore, refused to affirm or deny any philosophical proposition. Nagarjuna sought to liberate the mind from its tendencies to cling to tidy or clever formulations of truth, because any truth short of Sunyata, the voidness of reality, is inherently misleading. Relative truths are not like pieces of a puzzle, each of which incrementally adds to the complete design. They are plausible distortions of the truth and can seriously mislead the aspirant. They cannot be lightly or wholly repudiated, however, for they are all the seeker has, and so he must learn to use them as aids whilst remembering that they are neither accurate nor complete in themselves.

      http://sped2work.tripod.com/nagarjuna_2.html

      posted to NDS by Era

      Read myths. They teach you that you can turn inward, and you begin to get the message of the symbols. Read other people's myths, not those of your own religion, because you tend to interpret your own religion in terms of facts -- but if you read the other ones, you begin to get the message. Myth helps you to put your mind in touch with this experience of being alive. Myth tells you what the experience is.
      - Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

      [235] Here's a message for the faithful

      By Han-shan (Cold Mountain)
      (730? - 850?)

      English version by Red Pine (Bill Porter)

      Here's a message for the faithful
      what is it that you cherish
      to find the Way to see your nature
      your nature is naturally so
      what Heaven bestows is perfect
      looking for proof leads you astray
      leaving the trunk to search among the twigs
      all you get is stupid

      Poetry Chaikhana Home

      ...to "the tongue of the Invisible", Shams-ud-Din Muhammad Hafiz,
      believed to have been born on September 15th, 1320, in what is now
      Shiraz, Iran.

      Let my words become like a skilled
      Potter's hands,

      Quieting,
      Smoothing your life
      With their knowledge,

      Reaching into your tender core
      and spreading you out
      Like the morning

      That leaps from the sun's amused wink
      Onto hills, brows and the backs of so many
      Beautiful laboring beasts.

      God's duty is to make perfect
      All your movements of mind, of limb,
      And your ascending shape of laughter.

      Watch the way my hands dance
      With their diamond-edged brilliance

      Cutting you open with music,
      Reaching into your heart

      And spilling the night sky-jar you carry
      That is always full of giggling planets and stars.

      My words are a divine potter's wheel.
      If you stay near to me,
      Please,
      Stay near to me --

      And Hafiz will spin you into
      Love.

      trans. Daniel Ladinsky

      posted to Sunlight by Farishtah

      a very short video clip of Yogananda and his guru Shri Yukteswar
      i came across a little while ago & thought y'all might like to see...

      posted to unsaymyself by Tykal

      Ed. note: For more information about Shri Yukteswar

      and

      Sri Yukteswar is pictured at the extreme upper left of the crowd on the cover of the Beatles album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

      Sri Yukteswar discussion with Yogananda

      Sri Yukteswar: "Mukunda (Yogananda's boyhood name), why don't you get an astrological armlet?"

      Yogananda: "Should I, Master? I don't believe in astrology."

      Sri Yukteswar: "It is never a question of belief; the only scientific attitude one can take on any subject is whether it is true. The law of gravitation worked as efficiently before Newton as after him. The cosmos would be fairly chaotic if its laws could not operate without the sanction of human belief."

      From: Autobiography of A Yogi Chapter 16

      http://www.writespirit.net/authors/sri_yukteswar/quotes_sri_yukteswar/

      Dear Richard,

          Thanks for this unexpected plug for the
      reforestation scheme on Arunachala, but it it not the
      one you mentioned. The trees on the way to Skandashram
      were planted by the Arunachala Reforestation Society
      about ten years ago. This organisation was run by an
      Australian, John Button, in the 1990s. He is now back
      in Europe and for the last few years I have been
      house-sitting his house for him here in
      Tiruvannamalai.
         The project that appears on my site is a newer one.
      It is based next to Palakottu, the area adjacent to
      Ramanasramam where many of Bhagavan's sadhu devotees
      lived in the 1930s and 40s. It is called The Mountain
      of Medicine Project and its goal is to reforest as
      much of Arunachala as possible in the next few years.
      Since the monsoon started this year about 20,000 young
      trees have been planted on the southern side of the
      hill, the side where Ramanasramam is sited. A similar
      number was planted last year and about 60% of them
      survived their first summer.
         The project also includes a scheme to construct a
      forested children's playground and recreational area
      at the foot of the mountain. For those of you who know
      the Ramanasramam area I will say that as you leave
      Palakottu to start the inner pradakshina, the main
      reforestation project is on the right and the
      children's park is on the left.
         The project is supported by cash donations from
      devotees and visitors. The government has donated many
      acres of unused land to the project, a major bonus
      since private land near Ramanasramam is selling for
      over $10 a square foot (really!).
         If anyone feels inspired to support this eminently
      worthy project, he/she can get in touch with me.

               Best Wishes      David Godman

      PS The Arunachala Puranam, the Tamil scripture that
      chronicles the divine events that surround Arunachala,
      says that anyone who plants a garden on Arunachala
      goes to heaven. A rather unadvaitic sentiment, but a
      nice idea. I incline more to Richard's idea that to
      plant and nurture a tree on Arunachala is worship of
      God, an adornment of God's physical form.