#2258 - Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2005
      #2258 - Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      This issue features a few poems from TOO INTIMATE FOR WORDS, by John Astin. His website is http://www.integrativearts.com/

      The book may be ordered at Amazon.com: http://snipurl.com/ho3s. If you like the poems, you'll like the book.

      --Jerry

      Courage

      It takes courage
      to leave behind
      all the stories,
      all the ideologies,
      all the theories,
      and moral edicts,
      to have no place to stand,
      no position to defend,
      or truth to argue about,
      to trust this quiet integrity
      burning in an emptiness
      the mind can never touch.

      ~ ~ ~

      No Escape

      There is no escaping now,
      no leaving this moment
      for some other.
      We are hopelessly trapped
      in this maze,
      caught in the truth
      that there is
      no dry land here -
      everything is wet
      in this Ocean...
      What grace to know this,
      to revel in the ecstasy
      of this sweet bondage
      that is our liberation.

      ~ ~ ~

      The Sense of Separation

      "Rise above the separate self." "Transcend the ego." When we listen to such statements, what usually happens is that we enter into a kind of subtle (or not so subtle) struggle with this sense of separation. We resist the "I," wish it wasn't there, try to make it go away. But any attempt to make the separate self-sense disappear, simply reinforces the very thing we're trying to free ourselves from. It's analogous to meditation where our efforts to try and quiet the thinking process merely serve to create more waves. The thought, "There shouldn't be thought," is simply more thinking. Thought fighting thought. The result? More waves.

      So it is with our relationship to the self, this sense of there being a personal "I." Our resistance to it simply reinforces the illusion that there is actually something there (a self) to be gotten rid of. Struggling with the sense of "I" only creates more separation, more division.

      The paradox is that only through our absolute acceptance of the separate self-sense will we wake up from the dream of separation.

      ~ ~ ~

       Just This

      What if this was it? What if it could never get any better than this moment, just as it is? Is that a depressing thought? I guess it could be. But just let yourself consider it deeply for a moment. Who knows, you might just fall in love with your life.

      ~ ~ ~

      Unemployed

      How does it feel
      to be out of a job?