#2256 - Saturday, September 10, 2005

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2005
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2255, Saturday, September 10, 2005

      Written in 1965 as a teaching on reconciliation and overcoming anger
      for his young students who risked their lives daily and many of whom
      perished during the Vietnam War. It is an eloquent expression of

      Promise me,
      promise me this day,
      promise me now,
      while the sun is overhead
      exactly at the zenith,
      promise me:

      Even as they
      strike you down
      with a mountain of hatred & violence;
      even as they step on you & crush you
      like a worm,
      even as they dismember & disembowel you,
      remember, brother,
      man is not our enemy.

      The only thing worthy of you is compassion
      invincible, limitless, unconditional.
      Hatred will never let you face
      the beast in man.

      One day, when you face this beast alone,
      with your courage intact, your eyes kind,
      (even as no one sees them),
      out of your smile
      will bloom a flower.

      And those who love you
      will behold you
      across ten thousand worlds of birth & dying.

      Alone again, I will go on with bent head,
      knowing that love has become eternal.
      on the long, rough road,
      the sun & the moon
      will continue to shine.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, posted to DailyDharma

      What is mental suffering?
      To reject what's happening,
      the urgency to escape the now,
      is suffering. To have Preferences
      leads to suffering. In a world
      subject to constant change to
      try to manage what we feel, what
      we sense leads to suffering. To rest
      in quiet undescriminating awareness
      is to be free from suffering.

      - posted to AdvaitaToZen

      Fiery lust is not diminished by indulging it,
      but inevitably by leaving it ungratified.
      As long as you are laying logs on the fire,
      the fire will burn.
      When you withhold the wood, the fire dies,
      and God carries the water.

      - Rumi, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Daylight,
      Threshold Books, 1994, posted to AlongTheWay

      Tao The Ching

      In times past
      the Complete Thinkers of the Tao
      were not obvious
      about what they did and
      could change to
      meet the circumstance,
      Their minds,
      strong and
      were too deep to be measured.
      Because their minds
      are immeasurable,
      One can only describe them
      unclearly by their appearance.
      Slow to start
      like one crossing thin ice;
      Shy as if surrounded by danger
      on all sides;
      Careful and polite like a guest;
      Unbounded like ice on the point of melting;
      Genuine like an
      uncarved block;
      Hollow like
      a cave;
      Disordered like
      a muddy pool;
      And yet who else could
      quietly and gradually
      change from the muddy to the clear?
      Who else could
      slowly but steadily
      move from the lifeless to the living?
      Those who keep the Tao
      do not want to be full.
      But precisely because they are never full,
      They can always
      remain open in thought,
      They do not become rigid in thought.

      - posted to MillionPats

      The Arrows Of Larger Bows

      I am a lover,
      and from His love
      I did not escape.
      I am a warrior,
      and from the field of battle
      I did not escape.

      Like a lion, I attacked lions,
      but in the middle, like a fox,
      I did not escape.

      Though my aim was the cupola of heaven,
      from the snares of this world,
      I did not escape.

      I was the medicine for every illness,
      but from the pain of others
      I did not escape.

      I revered the prophets with all my soul,
      but from evil company
      I did not escape.

      I am alive in this little box called life;
      I am alive because my soul
      did not escape.

      The only reason I get hit
      by the arrows of his eyes
      is because from the arrows of larger bows
      I did not escape.

      The wounds of battle have turned to victory
      because of the pain
      I did not escape.

      I am floating in a sea of nectar,
      filled with every delight,
      because of the hardships
      I did not escape.

      When my Master showed himself to me
      I was stunned, I could not move -
      From the onrush of both worlds
      I could not escape!

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 1658, poetic translation by Jonathan Star and
      Shahram Shiva, A Garden Beyond Paradise: The Mystical Poetry of
      Rumi, Bantam Books, 1992, posted to Sunlight