Highlights/Fri/Jan14

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2000
      PETROS

      the thought just occurred to me that perhaps Ramana and
      Nisargadatta were the biggest 'rip-offs' of them all, since
      they really obliterated their visitors' sense of self.
      Every kind of material rip-off doesn't even amount to a hill
      of lentils compared to that.

      TERRY MURPHY

      It is very hard for people to admit to themselves that they
      have totally wasted years of their life following what can
      only be legitimately described as evil practices, without
      any redeeming qualities. But the good side of this is that
      even good practices have to be completely abandoned *at
      every moment* to stay free and be right here in the now.
      Bodhidharma, the founder and first patriarch of Zen, was a
      wild-eyed, quiet monk but still a pretty impressive fellow.
      One day he got his big chance, and was introduced to the
      emperor. His sponsors told him to be careful, told him to
      take this very seriously, told him it was very important and
      that he'd never get another chance like this. He went in
      and the emperor asked him, 'I have donated many fine temples
      to your sect, what merit will I get from doing this?'
      Bodhidharma told him, 'None whatsoever.' The emperor, a bit
      put out, since he had heard this monk Bodhidharma was
      something special, tried again, and asked him, 'who is this
      who now sits before me?' Bodhidharma replied, 'I don't
      know.' At this he was dismissed, and it was a long time
      after that he got even one disciple. Forget the past, forget
      your merits and demerits, and those of your associates.
      Don't try to know what can't be known, and don't try to
      teach it. You are neither ahead nor behind, it doesn't
      matter where you have been or where you are going.

      DAN BERKOW

      The mind tends to celebrate itself, by claiming for itself
      an existence that can be validated. Such celebratory
      validation may occur through acquiring things, status, or
      recognition.

      If the mind engages in a reaction to itself, to a belief
      that something important or valuable is known or had, the
      mind engages in comparison and has managed an imaginary
      split of itself from Reality. More than celebration, the
      mind appears to love controversy. With controversy, debate,
      friction, opposition, the mind feels real, feels itself to
      be a "something" addressing problems and challenges, gaining
      solutions and positive states of being. Thus, our human
      social systems, political systems, religious systems, and
      educational systems thrive on controversy.
      Sometimes, sitting with boredom is essential learning.
      In the end (and beginning and now) there is only resting in
      and as Reality. Relaxing "into and as" Reality is key (as
      seen from here), whereas challenging psychological comfort
      zones may be useful when there is attachment to and
      identification with a comfort zone (i.e., a static
      configuration of beliefs and images associated with
      familiarity).
      I say "may be" because challenges are effective when
      well-timed and presented "appropriately", and are
      ineffective when they overwhelm or elicit "reactive
      patterns" that may even lead to "psychological regression."
      Particularly if there is emotional investment in providing
      or receiving challenges is there likely to be continued
      friction rather than "new awareness".
      BRUCE MORGEN (forwarded from Roger)

      Nice to hear from you Bruce!

      Oz was fascinating. We spent the 2 weeks a little south of
      Brisbane on an undeveloped section of the beach listening to
      Barry for a couple of hours per day. I went walking on the
      beach nearly every day meditating on the sensation, how
      delightful. My biggest concern was keeping enough cash on
      hand for mangoes.

      Went north to Cairns for a few days, rain forest trips etc,
      then spent 5 days in Sydney.
      I�m more oriented towards nature than cities, but Sydney was
      very interesting.

      I might even consider going back to Oz to see Barry again.
      Especially if he�s at Cabarita Beach again. He�s in his mid
      70�s and warns that although healthy at present, a 5-6 year
      struggle with cancer could take him at any time.

      I have no doubt that he is realized. But of course the
      expression of God filtered through any personality is
      limited. And he emphasizes as much by warning that one must
      become independent of authority as soon as possible in many
      different ways.

      His approach, his comments, are exceptionally creative. For
      me he�s an extraordinary source of inspiration especially in
      terms of metaphysical insight. Yet, I do not feel in anyway
      that visiting him has suppressed or redirected my own
      individuality.

      Our eyes meet briefly many times during the course. And I
      usually felt an indescribable quickening of awareness, an
      upwelling of sensation/energy, an expansive leap beyond
      mental association with limitation. But the same happened,
      for example, on unexpectedly seeing the full moon rising
      over the ocean. So I certainly don�t want to place undue
      attention on Barry.

      My personal practice continues to evolve. My usual
      technique of recognizing & negating identification with
      limitation is still required. But more & more it seems that
      all that can be done is to take a small shift into subtler
      focus, awareness of the subtle energy of the body, the usual
      heaviness or substance of the body is refined into subtle
      energy, especially coursing upwards from the chest/solar
      plexus, sometimes this energy leaves awareness completely
      separated from association with senses / thought.
      Sense awareness & thought may continue but are seen as if
      from a very great distance, a distance so great that the
      observer could NEVER associate itself with anything
      external.

      Mysterious and indescribable! For a while I was thinking: I
      can enter this by putting attention on the solar plexus (as
      Barry describes in some book, a kundalini yoga approach), or
      by stilling thought directly (a neti-neti Gyana Yoga
      approach) which is superior? Which is best for me? But,
      alas, such thinking implies effort or distance to be covered
      & there is no effort in Being.

      words fail....

      XAN

      from Relaxing Into Clear Seeing by Arjuna Nick Ardagh

      We are entering a new era where new paradigms of realization
      and stabilization are being called forth. As more people
      are coming to realize that they are not really individual
      people at all, as more waves are beginning to recognize
      their common "ocean-ness," a new context for the process of
      awakening is being created, based on friendship and equality
      rather than hierarchy and competition.

      The hierarchical structures that have monopolized the Truth
      have often kept people trapped in the role of student and
      seeker rather than bringing them to the realization that "I
      am the One." We have been dependent on an "other" on a
      throne or a podium to supply the answers, while we have
      stayed identified with questions and confusion. I feel
      confident that we are seeing a democratization of this
      process in the 1990's and beyond.

      A completely new and unprecedented way of approaching
      awakening and spiritual values is called for today.
      Anything that smells of hierarchy and dualism, of
      teacher/taught,enlightened/ unenlightened, better than/less
      than, arrived at a goal/still on the path, is being
      challenged and broken down, if not by individuals then by
      the force of life itself. We are entering a new phase where
      realization is being stripped of its elitist trappings and
      embraced in an ordinary, friendly way. The Heart itself is
      demanding this; it cannot be resisted.

      This new view with the honesty and ordinariness it implies,
      can only happen in a fresh context where friend meets
      friend, and where the Teacher is discovered to be neither of
      them and both of them simultaneously.

      A guide can only lead me into the forest and point the way
      he knows.
      A guide cannot point me the way out.
      That is my process.
      Share with me your journey.
      I will find my own way out.
      Thank You,

      Michael

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      The name of the mind's game is always change. Be it a
      celebration, a debate, an accident, a catastrophe, a love
      affair or a fight, the essence of delight for the mind is
      always change whereas Self is without change.
      The very idea of something unchanging is ultimate horror for
      the mind.

      HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE MAILING LIST
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ndhighlights

      PHOTOS, GRAPHICS, ARTWORK, OTHER FILES