#2248 - Friday, September 2, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005

      The Nondual Highlights
      #2248 - Friday, September 2, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

              Do not seek any rules or method of
              worship.  Say whatever your pained
              heart chooses.

                                  - Rumi

      posted to Along the Way

      I have a pragmatic approach to Self inquiry/discovery, meaning I am
      not interested in spiritual theories but in what works to open the
      mind and heart.

      People who don't have a strong emotional nature tend to see
      suffering as mental, and that is correct.  But the idea, "This
      horrible feeling is just a mental perception." doesn't actually
      release painful emotional patterns.  And old emotional pain held in
      the body serves to veil the answer to, "Who am I?"

      This is like the teaching:  "Don't talk to a starving man about
      God.  First fill his belly, then he can hear your satsang."

      No amount of spiritual ideas will fill a starving emotional heart.

      This is how I see it after much investigation:  We are, in essence,
      pure awareness - Self.  We are also configurations of energy that
      make up our individual body-minds.  When these configurations hold
      memories of lack of love, of neglect and abuse of any kind (and the
      automatic protections against feeling that again), there is little
      or no space in one's individual consciousness for awareness as pure
      Self.

      A friend said, "No one goes from negative ego to no ego.  Negative
      identity is just too dense."  In my experience, as the patterns -
      the negative identifications of the pain body - are released and
      healed there is increasing room for That in consciousness.  This is
      a often-neglected but important aspect of Sadhana.

      Xan

      posted to MillionPaths

      We also often add to our pain and suffering by being overly sensitive, over-reacting to minor things, and sometimes taking things too personally.

      -His Holiness the Dalai Lama
      From "The Pocket Dalai Lama," edited by Mary Craig, 2002

      Alan Jacobs gave me permission to post this. It is a message from Sri
      V.Ganesan is a grand nephew of Sri Bhagavan , and was brought up
      mainly in the Ashram , with his family .

      Dear Friends,
      I have received the following E Mail from Sri Ganesan which he has
      given me permission to post .

       Namaskar.

      We have a mutual love for 'sharing' ! In the 'Kali Yuga' , no
      preaching, no  rituals, no worship, no scriptures can transmit
      the 'Truth' -- the only recourse is "sharing" !

       You know the vital difference between 'sharing' and the other
      archaic methods (mentioned above)  ? Only in 'sharing' , the perfect
      balance of the speaker and the listener in absolutely equal  terms (I
      like to call it : a 50% + 50% 'sharing') could be maintained; and,in
      that state of equality, mysteriously and powerfully the transmission takes place !
      Thus,the 'speaker' is not more important than the 'listener' ; or,
      the 'giver' is not greater than the 'receiver' ! There  is no room
      for 'exploitation' -- as 'guru', 'priest', 'teacher', 'religious
      heads', 'heads of  ashrams' , etc. For, in 'sharing' , one is
      directly in touch with the real "GURU " - the 'Self', the 'Heart' !

      Sri Bhagavan made Himself available for 24 hours, to all, for 54
      years - day and night -- only
      to emphasize and demonstrate this true nature of
      spiritual 'sharing' ! To Paul Brunton, He said:  "Brunton ! There is
      absolutely no difference between you and me. Only, give up this
      thought  that there is difference." I picked up the cue from our
      Beloved Master; and, avowed to myself  that, in my own limited
      capacity, capability, I will put this important facet of  our
      Master's 'Direct Teaching' into daily practice ! Don't you see the
      beauty behind the  glory of 'sharing', ?

       Love,
       Ganesan.

      posted to Practice of  Self Inquiry by Richard Clarke

      You need not wait to be what you are

              It is the clinging to the false that makes
              the true so difficult to see.  Once you
              understand that the false needs time and
              what needs time is false, you are nearer
              the Reality, which is timeless, ever in the
              now.  Eternity in time is mere repetitiveness,
              like the movement of a clock.  It flows from
              the past into the future endlessly, as empty
              perpetuity.  Reality is what makes the present
              so vital, so different from the past and future,
              which are merely mental.  If you need time to
              achieve something, it must be false.  The real
              is always with you; you need not wait to be
              what you are.  Only you must not allow your
              mind to go out of yourself in search.  When you
              want something, ask yourself: do I really need
              it? and if the answer is not, then just drop it.

                                - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      from "I Am That"

      posted to Along the Way

      They are completely fulfilled by spiritual wisdom and Self-realization.
      Having conquered their senses, they have climbed to the summit of human consciousness.
      To such people a clod of dirt, a stone, and gold are the same.
      They are equally disposed to family, enemies, and friends,
      to those who support them and those who are hostile, to the good and the evil alike.
      Because they are impartial, they rise to great heights.

      -Bhagavad Gita 6:8-9

      Buddhism is really quite simple to understand.  Let me try:  In
      Buddhism, we discover within ourselves, a fundamental consciousness,
      that is perfect and pure from the very beginning of beginningless
      time.  This pure and perfect consciousness is beyond our
      ordinary "thinking" or discursive mind.  It is not something we
      create, attain or manufacture through meditative or religious
      practice.  This pure and perfect consciousness is already fully
      present and complete right now... in you, as well as all sentient
      beings. The goal of Buddhist practice is to have the "experience" of
      this pure and perfect consciousness for yourself.
      Note "experience".  You don't learn "about", but rather "taste" the
      presence of this pure and perfect consciousness to be your own true
      nature, your actual and authentic Being.  Like jumping in the water
      directly, beyond reading and studying books or "thinking about" the
      topics of water and swimming.

      A teacher is anyone who has had a thorough and
      unmistakable "experience" of their own pure and perfect
      consciousness, and now shares this "knowingness" with others.
      Hopefully, the teacher will be able to orient others to have
      this "experience" for themselves, if they are ready and open.

      A very deep and thorough "experience" of one's own pure and perfect
      consciousness is known as "enlightenment"... coming to know one's
      own true nature as it is.  We call this pure and perfect
      consciousness "Buddha-Mind" or "Zen-Mind" or in Tibetan
      Dzogchen: "Rigpa".

      Once we have this "experience", we practice by immersing ourselves
      in this present pure and perfect consciousness more and more.
      Eventually, we are in this consciousness more often than we are in
      our ordinary "thinking mind".  The problem is that our "thinking
      mind" has created a self-image of itself.  This conceptual self-
      image is our sense of "me" or "I" in our "thinking mind".  We call
      this false or fantasy self, "ego".  Our true self, on the other
      hand, is the pure and perfect consciousness in contrast to
      our "ego".  But interestingly, this "true self" has no concept of
      a "self" itself.  It has no shape or form nor any material
      components that continue through time.  It has no boundaries nor
      location in space and time.  However, space and time and all things
      are included in it!  See, I told you... simple!

      Actually, this point is not that difficult to understand
      conceptually.  Take the example of water and waves.  All of reality
      is like one great ocean.  One's Being has two  aspects, figuratively
      speaking: open, infinite and vastly spacious Awareness and the Energy of that
      space-like Awareness.  Get it?  Ocean equals vast space-like
      Awareness and it's Energy is the waves within and upon the ocean.
      Kind of like in theological terminology:  God and Creation.  But
      don't get caught up in that analogy too much.  In any event, the
      waves and the water are "one" thing... as you can't separate the
      waves from the water.

      In life, ALL that we "experience" is waves.  The Awareness or
      Perceivingness (the pure and perfect consciousness i.e. Buddha-Mind)
      is the water.  Since the water and it's waves are "one", we then can
      see that our Awareness(water) is "one" with it's field of perception
      (waves) or experience, internally or externally experienced, beyond
      any possibility of duality.  Well, at any rate, you come to realize
      that too, as a first hand experience.

      In Dzogchen, we say the pure, vast space-like quality of Awareness
      is "kadag" (primordial purity).  At the same time, we call the
      spontaneously arising Energies (waves) "lhundrub" (spontaneous
      energy arisings).
      These two aspects, "kadag" and "lhundrub" are inseparable.  Like
      water and waves.  This inseparability of "kadag" and it's energy
      manifestations, "lhundrub" is known as "yermed" (inseparable).  In
      Dzogchen, in all of reality, of all possible universes, there is
      nothing outside of this unified field of "kadag" and "lhundrub".
      Now here's the interesting part, your own, currently existing, pure
      and perfect consciousness is this very "kadag" Awareness!  And all
      dimensions of your experience are (internal and external)
      this "lhundrub" Energy!  And this complete reality is known the
      Great Perfection or in Tibetan "Dzogchen".
      We come to realize non conceptually, that we ARE Dzogchen, the Great
      Perfection!

      Current Dzogchen practice is divided into two parts.  The first
      corresponds to realizing the "kadag" aspect, known as "trekchod".
      The second part deals with realizing the "lhundrub" aspect, known
      as "thogel".

      So there you go, Buddhism and Dzogchen in a nutshell.... and then
      some!

      posted to Dzogchen Practice by Jax

      Amazingly beautiful and stimulating. Life stories of dzogchen siddhas
      as exposed by the late Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (whose "As It Is" part 2
      I repute to be one of the best resources available on dzogchen
      teachings)

      Check it out:

      http://www.blazing-splendor.blogspot.com/

      greetings from Holland