#2244 - August 29, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2005
      #2244 - August 29, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      I am always
      Without I.

      So where is the one
      Who acts or enjoys?

      And what is the rising
      Or the vanishing of thought?

      What is the invisible world,
      Or the visible?

      In my heart I am one.

      What is this world?

      Who seeks freedom,
      Or wisdom or oneness?

      Who bound or free?

      -Ashtavakra Gita 20:5-6
      From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom, 1990

      SELF REALIZATION

      The state we call realization is simply being oneself, "not knowing
      anything" or "becoming anything". If one has realized, he is that
      which alone is, and which alone has always been. He cannot describe
      that state. He can only be That. Of course we loosely talk of self-
      realization for want of a better term.

      That which 'Is' is peace. All that we need do is to keep quiet. Peace
      is our real nature. We spoil it. What is required is that we cease to
      spoil it.
      -Ramana Maharshi

      posted to MillionPaths by mourad

      The genius of what the Buddha taught is that waking up does not
      depend upon his or anyone else's realization.

      It does not rely upon a belief system, dogma, or doctrine.

      He encouraged us to find out for ourselves about the true nature of
      reality, which is dependent upon nothing whatsoever.

      Master Rinzai says, 'If your faith is insufficient, you will keep on
      wandering in confusion. No matter what the circumstances, you will
      be controlled and led around by others. You will not find freedom..
      Because you don't have enough confidence in yourselves, you search
      outwardly.'

      Typically we think of self-confidence as affirming and asserting the
      ego.

      Is this what Master Rinzai means? Who is the self of this self-
      confidence? Certainly it's not that separate self in which we do
      believe, much to our discredit-that concocted separate self that
      leads us to yearn after wholeness, which results in our being led
      around by others and to our searching outwardly.

      The only way we can have true self-confidence is to drop believing
      in something or someone, especially the fiction of a separate self.

      We must recognize the ways in which we impede our buddhanature, the
      ways in which we put all our energy into systems that support the
      fiction of an ego-entity, or a 'separated individuality,' as the
      Diamond Sutra puts it.

      We must simply give our entire being over to buddhanature."

                          ~  Roko Sherry Chayat

      From the magazine, "BuddhaDharma," published by Shambhala Sun,
      current issue.

      posted to Daily Dharma by anipachen

      photo by Gloria Lee

      This itself is the whole of the journey, opening your heart to that which is lovely. Because of their feeling for the lovely, beings who are afraid of birth and death, aging and decaying, are freed from their fear. This is the way you must train yourself: I will become your friend and an intimate of the lovely. To do this I must closely observe and embrace all states of mind that are good.

      -Samyutta Nikaya
      From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000

      How are you going to lose this?

              Achieving That
              how are you going to lose this?
              On the contrary
              you are getting everything
              because this is all
              made of That.

              You, me, the world,
              whole galaxies
              everything
              is made of that Truth
              that Light
              Consciousness
              God.

              How then
              by achieving That
              are you being impractical?
              Can you logically
              even disprove it?
              What to say
              of experiencing
              It!
                             - Swami Amar Jyoti

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "In Light of Wisdom"
      Swami Amar Jyoti
      Truth Consciousness, Boulder, Colorado, 1983

      posted to Along the Way

      From "Day by Day with Bhagavan"

      Q.: In the fifth stanza of "Arunachala Panchratna," reference is made
      to seeing "Your form in everything." What is the form referred to?

      Bhagavan said: The stanza says that one should completely surrender
      one's mind, turn it inward, and see "you" the Self within and then
      see the Self in "you" in everything. It is only after seeing the Self
      within that one will be able to see the Self in everything. One must
      first realize that there is nothing but the Self and that he is that
      Self, and then only he can see everything as the form of the Self.
      That is the meaning of saying, "See the Self in everything and
      everything in the Self" as is stated in the Gita and other books. It
      is the same truth that is taught in stanza 4 of the "Reality in Forty
      Verses." If you have the idea that you are something with form, that
      you are limited by this body, and that being within this body you
      have to see through these eyes, God and the world also will appear to
      you as form.

      If you realize that you are without form, that you are
      unlimited, that you alone exist, that you are the eye, the infinite
      eye, what is there to be seen apart from the infinite eye? Apart from
      the eye, there is nothing to be seen. There must be a seer for an
      object to be seen. And there must be space, time, etc. But if the
      Self alone exists, it is both seer and seen, and above seeing or
      being seen.

      This is from a new list just begun by Richard Clarke for those who
      wish to concentrate on the practice of self-inquiry.

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      Q: What will happen to the world?

      Bhagavan: The world!

      Q: In the world, much is going on. What about that?

      Bhagavan: Have you found the reason for your own
      miseries so that you are now going to find out the
      reasons for the sufferings of others?

      Q: But on such matters you always remain silent!

      Bhagavan: With silence one can affect the whole world.

      --Godman: Power of the Presence, I, p. 235

      posted to MillionPaths by Gloria Lee

      "All the precious words
      you and I have exchanged
      have found their way