#2235- Friday, August 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2005
      The Nondual Highlights
      #2235- Friday, August 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee
              There is a lake so tiny
              that a mustard seed would cover it
              easily, yet everyone drinks from this lake.

              Deer, jackals, rhinoceroses, and sea elephants
              keep falling into it, falling and dissolving
              almost before they have time to be born.

                        - Lalla
                          14th Century North Indian mystic
      posted to Along the Way

      It was out of the dynamic of cosmic celebration that we were created in the first place. We are to become celebration and generosity, burst into self-awareness. What is the human? The human is a space, an opening, where the universe celebrates its existence.

      ~ Brian Swimme, The Universe is a Green Dragon

      posted to MillionPaths by Viorica Weissman

      Cottonwood Trees
      The cottonwoods are
      flinging themselves outward,
      filling the air with spiraling flurries,
      covering lawns in deepening drifts.
      You could not call this generosity.
      Like any being, they
      let loose what they have
      in order to survive,
      in order that their lives might continue
      in a new year's growth.
      The more seeds they send out
      on their lofted journeys
      the greater the chance
      for their kind to flourish.
      There is no hesitation.
      No one asks how much
      they will give. Without words
      they know so clearly
      that everything depends
      on what we call giving,
      that which the world knows only as creation.
      ~ Lynn Ungar ~
      (Blessing the Bread)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Name.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:

      "When we train in letting go of thinking that
      anything-including ourselves-is either good or
      bad, we open our minds to practice with
      forgiveness and humor. And we practice opening to
      a compassionate space in which good/bad judgments
      can dissolve. We practice letting go of our idea
      of a "goal" and letting go of our concept of
      "progress," because right there, in that process
      of letting go, is where our hearts open and
      soften-over and over again."
      ~Pema Chödrön
      posted to Daily Dharma by Sherab

      Question: What are the marks of a real teacher (sadaguru)?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Steady abidance in the Self, looking at all with
      an equal eye, unshakable courage at all times, in all places and

      Question: There are a number of spiritual teachers teaching various
      paths. Whom should one take for one's Guru?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Choose that one where you find you get shanti

      Question: Should we not also consider his teachings?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: He who instructs an ardent seeker to do this or
      that is not a true master. The seeker is already afflicted by his
      activities and wants peace and rest. In other words he wants
      cessation of his activities. If a teacher tells him to do something
      in addition to, or in place of, his other activities, can that be a
      help to the seeker?

      Activity is creation. Activity is the destruction of one's inherent
      happiness. If activity is advocated the adviser is not a master but a
      killer. In such circumstances either the Creator (Brahma) or death
      (Yama) may be said to have come in the guise of a master. Such a
      person cannot liberate the aspirant; he can only strengthen his

      ~ Sri Ramana Maharshi, from "Be As You Are," edited by David Godman
      posted to nondualnow by Mazie Lane

      '… unless there is an innate passion to find out, to discover for oneself one will not be equipped to live the meditative way. Meditation is a total way of living, not a partial or fragmentary activity… Life is neither occidental or oriental… There is no excitement in a real enquirer, there is a depth of intensity, not the shallowness of enthusiastic excitement… Then that state of observation begins to permeate the waking hours. Whether you cook a meal, go to the office, or while you are talking, the state of observation begins to permeate all activities of the waking hours… When the state of observation is sustained the sensitivity gets heightened, and from morning till night you are much more aware than before… It is no use concentrating your attention upon the activities of the mind, to the exclusion of the rest of your way of living. Meditation is something pertaining to the whole being and the whole life. Either you live in it or you do not live in it. In another words, it is related to everything physical and psychological… Thus, from the small area of mental activity, we have brought meditation to a vast field of consciousness, where it gets related to the way you sit or stand, the way you gesticulate or articulate throughout the day. Whether you want it or not, the inner state of your being gets expressed in your behaviour… This co-relation of meditation to the total way of living is the first requirement on the path of total transformation… Very few of us realise that constant verbalisation is one of the greatest obstacles in the path of meditation… Life is a homogeneous whole and you can never fragment it… To be aware of the lapse or the gap is itself a kind of observation.’
      Vimala Thakar
       posted to MillionPaths by Ben Hassine