#2227 - Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2005

      #2227 - Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      A gold Buddha can't get through a furnace,
      a wood Buddha can't get through a fire,
      and a clay Buddha can't get through water.
      The real Buddha sits within: enlightenment,
      nirvana, suchness, and Buddha-nature
      are all clothes sticking to the body.

      -Chao-chou
      From "The Pocket Zen Reader," edited by Thomas Cleary, 1999

      August in Oregon by John Steinberg

      And everything comes to One,
              As we dance on, dance on, dance on.

                                     - Theodore Roethke

      ~   ~   ~

              Belief, any belief, is based on the sense of
              insecurity.  Only when all belief is given
              up are you free to know yourself.  In self-
              discovery what you find is the Truth - that
              Truth which is total, self-evident and
              which needs no outside support or justi-
              fication.

                                     - Ramesh S. Balsekar

      posted to Along the Way

      FORGOTTEN THE WORDS

      "I built my cottage among the habitations of men,
      And yet there is no clamor of carriages and horses.
      You ask: 'Sir, how can this be done?'
      'A heart that is distant creates its own solitude.'
      I pluck chrysanthemums under the eastern hedge,
      Then gaze afar towards the southern hills.
      The mountain air is fresh at the dusk of day;
      The flying birds in flocks return.
      In these things there lies a deep meaning;
      I want to tell it, but have forgotten the words."

      ~Tao YuanMing

      posted to Daily Dharma

      DYING TO THE NOW IS LIFE

      "When effort is needed, effort will appear.
      When effortlessness becomes essential,
      it will assert itself. You need not push
      life about. Just flow with it and give
      yourself completely to the task of the
      present moment, which is the dying now
      to the now. For living is dying. Without
      death life cannot be."

      ~Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Source unknown.
      posted to Daily Dharma

      August in Oregon by John Steinberg

      maggie and milly and molly and may
      went down to the beach(to play one day)

      and maggie discovered a shell that sang
      so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles,and

      milly befriended a stranded star
      whose rays five languid fingers were;

      and molly was chased by a horrible thing
      which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

      may came home with a smooth round stone
      as small as a world and as large as alone.

      For whatever we lose(like a you or a me)
      it's always ourselves we find in the sea.

      --e. e. cummings

      poem posted by Steve Toth on unsaymyself