#2220 - Wednesday, August 3, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2220, Wednesday, August 3, 2005

      The Master must have known
      that his words were frequently
      beyond his disciples' comprehension.
      He spoke them nonetheless
      in the knowledge that a day would surely come
      when they would take root and blossom
      in the hearts that heard him

      One day he said:

      "Time always seems so long when you wait -
      for a vacation, an examination,
      for something yearned for
      or dreaded in the future.

      "But to those who dare to surrender to the
      experience of the present moment -
      with no thought about the experience,
      no desire that it return or be avoided -
      time is transformed
      into the radiance of Eternity."

      - Anthony de Mello, S.J., posted to The_Now2

      To let go in the deepest recesses of the heart, to release all struggle and wanting, leads us to that knowing which is timeless. As one teacher has said:

      "After I opened beyond any sense of myself, I could feel "my pain" change to "the pain," the pain of the world. I saw how the universe moves and the planet is on fire - that much pain - and yet it all could be held, and it didn't touch anything. It rested in the midst of an immense peace."

      In the gate of sorrow we free ourselves from illusions and grasping, from a false separation from all life, and hold it all. We can rest in the great heart of Buddha, in the heart of the One Who Knows.

      - Jack Kornfeld, from After the Ecstasy, The Laundry, posted to DailyDharma

      O, how often have knowledge and wit
      become as deadly to the wayfarer as any demon or bandit!
      Most of those destined for Paradise are simple-minded,
      so that they escape from the mischief of philosophy.
      Strip yourself of useless learning and vanity,
      so that every moment Divine mercy may descend upon you.
      Cleverness is the opposite of humbleness and supplication:
      give up cleverness and take simplicity as your companion.
      Know that cleverness is a trap for victory and ambition:
      why should the pure devotee wish to be clever?
      The clever are content with an ingenious device;
      the simple have left all artifice
      to be at rest with the Artificer,
      because at breakfast time a mother will have gathered
      the little child's hands and feet in repose upon her breast.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi VI:2369-2375, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      In A Handful of God

      Poetry reveals that there is no empty space.

      When your truth forsakes its shyness,
      When your fears surrender to your strengths,
      You will begin to experience

      That all existence
      Is a teeming sea of infinite life.

      In a handful of ocean water
      You could not count all the finely tuned
      Musicians

      Who are acting stoned
      For very intelligent and sane reasons

      And of course are becoming extremely sweet
      And wild.

      In a handful of the sky and earth,
      In a handful of God,

      We cannot count
      All the ecstatic lovers who are dancing there
      Behind the mysterious veil.

      True art reveals there is no void
      Or darkness.

      There is no loneliness to the clear-eyed mystic
      In this luminous, brimming
      Playful world.

      - Hafiz, from The Subject Tonight is Love - versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky, posted to AvaitaToZen

      I keep weeping for you, my soul,
      good sir, gently trying to let you
      see the nature of what you love.

      Not even the shadow
      of an iron anchor
      will last from here.

      Remember the truth
      that you are.

      - Lalla, from Naked Song, versions by Coleman Barks, posted to AlongTheWay

      The 'Self' though never stirring
      is swifter than thought ...

      The Senses never reach it
      yet it walks with them ...

      Though standing still
      it overtakes those who run...

      It stirs, and it stirs not It is far, and likewise near ...

      It is inside of all this
      and it is outside of all this ...

      And he who beholds
      all beings in the 'Self'...
      and the 'Self' in all beings ...
      he will never turn away from it ...

      When to a man who 'understands'
      the 'Self' is 'all things' ...

      The 'Self' encircles all
      bright, incorporeal, scatheless,
      without muscles, pure,

      All seeing, all wise, omnipresent
      self-existent ...
      disposing all things rightly
      for endless years ...
      Thus we have heard from the wise
      .. who taught us this ...

      - Samhita Upanishad 4-10, posted to Poetic_Mysticism

      .