#2218 - Monday, August 1, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      #2218 - Monday, August 1, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      I GOT KIN

      Plant
      So that your own heart
      Will grow.

      Love So
      God will think,

      “Ahhhhh,
      I got kin in that body!
      I should start
      inviting that soul over
      For coffee and Rolls.”

      Sing
      Because this is a food
      Our starving world
      Needs.

      Laugh
      Because that is the purest
      Sound.

      (“The Gift” – versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

      "Speak Kindly To Yourself"

      “What is this self inside us, this silent observer,
      Severe and speechless critic, who can terrorize us,
      And urge us on to futile activity,
      And in the end, judge us still more severely,
      For the errors into which his own reproaches drove us?”

      -- T. S. Eliot
      posted by Kathy Hankenson to nondualnow

      "What allows us to stop negative behaviour is a basic feeling that we
      do not have to be afraid of what we are feeling right now, that we do
      not have to look for alternatives, that we aren't ashamed of what we
      are feeling in this moment. We are scared of what we are feeling.
      Instead, we can just let our warmth toward that instant of time just
      be there as the working basis.
      Compassion for ourselves is settling down with the situation without
      looking for alternatives."
      ~Pema Chodron

      "Whatever is causing us a 'problem,' let's take a deep look at it. Are
      we just trying to make things turn out the way we want them to? Are we
      trying to manipulate the situation to avoid pain and bring us
      pleasure?  Are we afraid of what might happen if we do not exert
      control - change things to be the way we think is best?

      Ironically, the Buddha tells us that to stop all the effort, the
      trying to make things be different than they are and just accept
      whatever is presented to us is what brings us true happiness.

      Let go, dears. As an old friend told us, 'Let it be.'"
      ~dg

      From DailyDharma Archives

      The State of Peace

      A questioner asked the Buddha: "I would like to know about the state of peace, the state of solitude and of quiet detachment. How does a person become calm, independent, and not wanting to grasp at anything?"

      "A person does this," replied the Buddha, "by eradicating the delusion of 'I am.' By being alert and attentive, he begins to let go of cravings as they arise. But whatever he begins to accomplish, he should beware of inner pride. He must avoid thinking of himself as better than another, or worse or equal, for that is all comparison and emphasizes the self.

      "The person should look for peace within and not depend on it in any other place. For when a person is quiet within, the self cannot be found. There are no waves in the depths of the ocean, it is still and unbroken. It is the same with the peaceful person. He is still, without any longing to grasp. He has let go the foundations of self and no longer builds up pride and desire."

      -Sutta Nipata
      From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000

      Jackie the dog, who was eventually buried alongside the deer and the crow, was
      brought to the ashram when he was very young. He never mixed with other dogs,
      nor did he play much. Instead, he lived the life of a sadhu. He would sit in
      front of Bhagavan on an orange cloth that had been provided by a devotee and
      stare intently at Bhagavan’s eyes. Because Bhagavan had a lot of love for him,
      and because he always behaved in such an exemplary fashion, he was always very
      well looked after. Ramaswami Pillai in particular took good care of him. Every
      day he would wash Jackie with soap and water and remove any insects that had
      attached themselves to his body. Whenever prasad was distributed, Jackie would
      not eat until Bhagavan began to eat his own portion. On such occasions he would
      watch Bhagavan’s face intently. As soon as Bhagavan put a morsel into his mouth,
      Jackie would start to eat his own portion.

      I remember one incident concerning Jackie that occurred while Bhagavan was
      sitting by the well, surrounded by devotees. Jackie was sitting with the
      devotees, looking intently at Bhagavan, when a stray dog entered the ashram
      through the back gate. Jackie, distracted by the newcomer, began to bark.
      Bhagavan gently chided him by saying, ‘You just close your eyes. You just
      close your eyes. You just close your eyes. If you do this you will not be able
      to see the dog.’
      Jackie obeyed at once but some of the rest of us continued to look at the
      stray dog.
      When I saw what was happening I laughed and remarked, This is a good
      teaching. It is not only for Jackie, it is for everyone.’
      Jackie lived in the ashram for many years but I cannot remember how he
      finally passed away. It must have happened sometime in the 1930s while I was
      supervising the building works because I remember constructing, at Bhagavan’s
      request, the small samadhi shrine that is over his body.

      I found the following account of Jackie’s death in an unpublished account by
      Narasimha Rao:

      ‘In the early days of our going to the ashram [early 1930s] there was a dog
      by name Jack. It was then very sick. Bhagavan arranged a soft bed for it and was
      attending it very affectionately, attending to his wants. After a few days it
      grew more weak, and was emitting a bad smell. It made no difference to
      Bhagavan’s attention to it. He used to take it in his arms, and holding it to
      himself, caress it lovingly. Finally it expired in his hands. It was buried in
      the ashram precincts with a monument over it. The dog did not show any sign of
      suffering and bore it bravely.’

      From “Living by the Words of Bhagavan”

      posted by David Godman to RamanaMaharshi

      Virtual Prakshina of Arunachala

      1) Go to: http://earth.google.com/

      2) Download the software

      2) Search India , then Tamil Nadu, then (s/w of Chennai--) Tiruvannamalai, then Arunachala.

      3) You can go round the mountain in 3d by tilting down the satellite picture.

      posted by Ben Hassine to MillionPaths

      The August issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm

      This issue is a memorial to Richard Rose, who died on July 6, 2005.