#2211 - Monday, July 25, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2005
      #2211 - Monday, July 25, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If you ain't where you are, you're no place.
      - Col. Sherman Potter on Mash

      In the beginning, meditative awareness is like a small flame, which can easily be extinguished and needs to be protected and nurtured. Later, it is more like a huge bonfire, which consumes whatever falls into it....Then the more thoughts that arise, the more awareness blazes up, like adding logs to a bonfire! Emaho! Everything is food for naked enlightened awareness!

       - Dzogchen Master Jigme Lingpa

      posted by Ben Hassine

      At the heart of Buddhist meditation are concentration and inquiry. When you cultivate these two qualities in meditation, you develop your ability to be quiet and clear, to offer understanding and love.

      -Martine Bachelor, "Meditation for Life"
      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok

      Beau: Golden Retrievals by Mark Doty

      Beau: Golden Retrievals

      Fetch? Balls and sticks capture my attention
      seconds at a time. Catch? I don't think so.
      Bunny, tumbling leaf, a squirrel who's—oh
      joy—actually scared. Sniff the wind, then

      I'm off again, muck, pond, ditch, residue
      of any thrillingly dead thing. And you?
      Either you're sunk in the past, half our walk,
      thinking of what you never can bring back,

      or else you're off in some fog concerning
      —tomorrow, is that what you call it? My work:
      to unsnare time's warp (and woof), retrieving,
      my haze-headed friend, you. This shining bark,

      a Zen master's bronzy gong, calls you here,
      entirely, now: bow-wow, bow-wow, bow-wow.

      ~ Mark Doty

             Do what you feel like doing.  Don't bully
             yourself.  Violence will make you hard
             and rigid.  Do not fight with what you
             take to be obstacles on your way.  Just
             be interested in them, watch them,
             observe, enquire.  Let anything happen -
             good or bad.  But don't let yourself be
             submerged by what happens.

                               - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      posted to AlongtheWay

      "We already have everything we need. There is no need
      for self-improvement. All these trips that we lay on
      ourselves--the heavy-duty fearing that
      we're bad and hoping that we're good, the identities
      that we so dearly cling to, the rage, the jealousy and
      the addictions of all kinds--never touch our
      basic wealth. They are like clouds that temporarily
      block the sun. But all the time our warmth and
      brilliance are right here. This is who we really
      are. We are one blink of an eye away from being fully
      awake."

      ~Pema Chodron

      posted by Amrita to Daily Dharma

      Listening

      ”Don't worry that children never listen to you;
      worry that they are always watching you.”

      Robert Fulghum

      ”There are people who, instead of listening to what is being said to them,
      are already listening to what they are going to say themselves.”

      Albert Guinon

      ”Silence is a potent carrier of presence, so when you read this,
      be aware of the silence between and underneath the words.
      Be aware of the gaps.
      To listen to the silence, wherever you are,
      is an easy and direct way of becoming present.”

      Eckhart Tolle

      posted to AlphaWorld

      Hidden in the Hearts of All

      As butter lies hidden within milk,
      The Self is hidden in the hearts of all.
      Churn the mind through meditation on it;
      Light your fire through meditation on it:
      The Self, all whole, all peace, all certitude.

      Amritabindu Upanishad

      posted to Beliefnet Hindu Wisdom

      When you celebrate everything you are free.
      When you enjoy the ride just for the experience
      you are on the right track.
      Sadness is hard to celebrate, you lack equanimity.
      Your happiness lacks depth, it needs more awareness.
      Your love tends towards possession,
      it needs more trust, space and freedom.
      You find it hard to trust; let go, the Beloved waits.
      You are rarely ever total; melt in the fire of Now.
      You are a future Buddha, you are a flower of love.
      You are divine and beautiful, you are in God in love.
      ~M.I

      posted by Sampava to ConsciousOneness

      Sonnets to Orpheus, Part One, XXII

      We set the pace.
      But this press of time --
      take it as a little thing
      next to what endures.

      All this hurrying
      soon will be over.
      Only when we tarry
      do we touch the holy.

      Young ones, don't waste your courage
      racing so fast,
      flying so high.

      See how all things are at rest --
      darkness and morning light,
      blossom and book.

      ~ Rainer Maria Rilke ~

      (In Praise of Mortality, translated and edited by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy)