#2202 - Thursday, July 14, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15 5:08 AM
      #2202 - Thursday, July 14, 2005 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply' on your email program, compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter

      In this issue are some poems from a book called Darshan Poems by Naomi Kasnitz. I doubt you'll ever find a copy. They are poems to her Guru, whoever that was.

      --Jerry

      The old woman in white embraces the knees
         of the Guru,
      and she becomes a bride again.

      The pink embroidered roses on her saree
         bloom.

      ~ ~ ~

      The mother with an infant on her hip
      leans over to catch a glimpse of the Guru.

      Her hair brushing across the baby's face
      is the universe celebrating its potency.

      ~ ~ ~

      What kind of love is this?

      I give him an apple,
      and he gives me

      an orchard,

      apple blossoms,
      apple cider,
      apple pies.

      ~ ~ ~

      I don't want enlightenment or the life
         to come.

      What do I care for salvation,
      liberation,
      self-realization?

      I only want perfect moment
      at my lover's feet.

      ~ ~ ~

      A huge door opens,
      A man's colossal form completely fills
        the doorway.

      Don't be afraid:
      He is as loving as he is gigantic.

      ~ ~ ~

      Slowly I open my eyes and look down.

      In the valley of my folded legs,
      my folded hands appear
      like two old friends.

      ~ ~ ~

      He strides down the aisle,

      and we become
      an undulating field of grass.

      ~ ~ ~

      To accept the Guru!

      You might as well try to accept
      an avalanche,
      the fire that's burning up your house,
      a hungry tiger stalking your heart.

      ~ ~ ~

      Your mystery is an open door
      on the rock face of the mountain,

      an old man appearing from nowhere
      on a starlit road.

      ~ ~ ~

      The perfect balance of student and instructor;

      as the questions grow more complex,
      the answers grow more simple.

      ~ ~ ~

      I dreamt that I was calling out your name,
         and weeping;

      I woke up listening to the rain.

      ~ ~ ~

      Take him!