#2199 - Monday, July 11, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2005
      Nondual Highlights
      #2199 - Monday, July 11, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply' on your email program, compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter

      This issue features photos sent in by one of our readers, Millie Miller. They were taken by her friend Jeff Gardner.
      Reader contributions are most welcome.

      Follow the Calmness

      Develop the mind of equilibrium. You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind: follow the calmness, the absence of pride.

      -Sutta Nipata
      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt

      Another shortcoming of desire is that it leads to so much that is undesirable.

      -Lama Zopa Rinpoche, "The Door to Satisfaction"
      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations,"
      edited by Josh Bartok

      There is silence between two noises. There is silence between two thoughts. There is silence after noise. There is silence when thought says, "I must be silent," and creates an artificial silence thinking it is the real silence. There is silence when you sit quietly and force your mind to be silent.  All those are artificial silences; they are not real, deep, uncultivated, unpremeditated silence.  Silence can only come psychologically when there is no registration whatsoever, the brain itself is utterly without movement. In that great depth of silence that is not induced, not cultivated, not practiced, there may come that sense of something immeasurable, nameless.

      J. Krishnamurti
      This Light in Oneself - True Meditation

      posted by Gloria Lee to MillionPaths

      Keeping Quiet

      Now we will count to twelve
      and we will all keep still.

      This one time upon the earth,
      let's not speak any language,
      let's stop for one second,
      and not move our arms so much.

      It would be a delicious moment,
      without hurry, without locomotives,
      all of us would be together
      in a sudden uneasiness.

      The fishermen in the cold sea
      would do no harm to the whales
      and the peasant gathering salt
      would look at his torn hands.

      Those who prepare green wars,
      wars of gas, wars of fire,
      victories without survivors,
      would put on clean clothing
      and would walk alongside their brothers
      in the shade, without doing a thing.

      What I want shouldn't be confused
      with final inactivity:
      life alone is what matters,
      I want nothing to do with death.

      If we weren't unanimous
      about keeping our lives so much in motion,

      if we could do nothing for once,
      perhaps a great silence would
      interrupt this sadness,
      this never understanding ourselves
      and threatening ourselves with death,
      perhaps the earth is teaching us
      when everything seems to be dead
      and then everything is alive.

      Now I will count to twelve
      and you keep quiet and I'll go.

      Pablo Neruda

      from Full Woman, Fleshly Apple, Hot Moon
      Translated by Stephen Mitchell

      Ramana Maharshi's gift to the world was not that he realized the Self. Many people have had a deep realization of the Self. Ramana's real gift was that he embodied that realization so thoroughly. It is one thing to realize the Self; it is something else altogether to embody that realization to the extent that there is no gap between inner revelation and its outer expression. Many have glimpsed the realization of Oneness; few consistently express that realization through their humanness. It is one thing to touch a flame and know it is hot, but quite another to jump into that flame and be consumed by it.
      ~A

      posted by Sampava to ConsciousOneness

      Too Many Names

      Mondays are meshed with Tuesdays
      and the week with the whole year.
      Time cannot be cut
      with your weary scissors,
      and all the names of the day
      are washed out by the waters of night.

      No one can claim the name of Pedro,
      nobody is Rosa or Maria,
      all of us are dust or sand,
      all of us are rain under rain.
      They have spoken to me of Venezuelas,
      of Chiles and of Paraguays;
      I have no idea what they are saying.
      I know only the skin of the earth
      and I know it is without a name.

      When I lived amongst the roots
      they pleased me more than flowers did,
      and when I spoke to a stone
      it rang like a bell.

      It is so long, the spring
      which goes on all winter.
      Time lost its shoes.
      A year is four centuries.

      When I sleep every night,
      what am I called or not called?
      And when I wake, who am I
      if I was not while I slept?

      This means to say that scarcely
      have we landed into life
      than we come as if new-born;
      let us not fill our mouths
      with so many faltering names,
      with so many sad formallities,
      with so many pompous letters,
      with so much of yours and mine,
      with so much of signing of papers.

      I have a mind to confuse things,
      unite them, bring them to birth,
      mix them up, undress them,
      until the light of the world
      has the oneness of the ocean,
      a generous, vast wholeness,
      a crepitant fragrance.

      ~

      Pablo Neruda

      In dark night live those for whom
      The world without alone is real;
      In night darker still,
      For whom the world within alone is real.
      The first leads to a life of action,
      The second to a life of meditation.
      But those who combine action with meditation
      Cross the sea of death through action
      And enter into immortality
      Through the practice of meditation.
      So have we heard from the wise.

      -Isha Upanishad

      From The Upanishads, translated by Eknath Easwaran, copyright 1987

      posted by Michael Bindel to MillionPaths

      Buddha in Glory

      Center of all centers, core of cores,
      almond self-enclosed, and growing sweet--
      all this universe, to the furthest stars
      all beyond them, is your flesh, your fruit.

      Now you feel how nothing clings to you;
      your vast shell reaches into endless space,
      and there the rich, thick fluids rise and flow.
      Illuminated in your infinite peace,

      a billion stars go spinning through the night,
      blazing high above your head.
      But in you is the presence that
      will be, when all the stars are dead.

      Rainer Maria Rilke